L3800 Rotary Cutter? BH15 or RCR1860?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Dang, I didn't mean to piss in your corn flakes. I thought we were talking about rotary cutters and such.

What D2cat said.

I have been hit by debris thrown out from under a rotary cutter. My dad had a piece of wood puncture the rear of this left Bicep that had to be surgically removed. I would never run a rotary cutter without an expanded metal shield between me and the cutter. NEVER have had such issues with a flail mower. Have either of you ever run one? Previous comments should have already answered this question. Much safer, better cut, lower PTO HP requirement. Your argument about rocks and stumps are moot because whether I was running a rotary cutter OR flail mower I would make sure that they were all cleared out prior to mowing. Just common sense good practice. I don't know about moot. One rock or piece of metal will eat a set of blades up and there goes your quality cut. Rotary cutter blades are a little more durable and can handle more abuse than flail blades can. I agree it's good practice to move everything you can but I've never seen a place that was perfect all the time. That would be nice though. ;)

If you do the research you will find that flail mowers are the norm in ROW, especially Europe where they have much stricter noise and safety regulations. In fact . . I would bet you did not know that rotary cutters (Brush Hogs etc.) are a North American phenomenon, not known in ROW . .
Just because Europe or the ROW does it one way doesn't mean it's the best way. I think that has already been proven when people to the chance and crossed the ocean on wooden ships to start a new life so they could do things in a different way. :D
Maybe certain parts of Europe are still arss hurt because a bunch of farm boys kicked their arss back across the pond and they refuse to accept the fact a bushhog has it's place too. Not saying it doesn't exist but I've never seen a bat wing flail mower.

Each has a purpose and I do have both but I'll not say either is better than the other. Both do their job well. Both can be dangerous. Both can hurt you at any given time. :cool: