L3800 Rear Blade

UnionMan

Equipment
M5-111HDC12, L3800 HST , RTV-X1100C, SCAG TigerCat 61" Kawi FX Motor
Aug 21, 2013
Warrenton, VA
Ive done some searching on here and read a couple threads but non really answer my questions so I thought I would make a new thread.

I'm looking to buy a rear scrape blade for my L3800. Ive been looking for local adds on CL and other means to find a decent one used but I always cant seem to find the implement I want used. And if I do they want an arm and leg for it.

Ive called around and most dealers sell Woods and Land Pride. Ive been going back and forth with what I wanted size wise and one dealer seems to say a 72" while the other is saying 84" , both local kubota dealers. They both seem to recommend the RB 16 rear blade but one the RB 1672 the other RB 1684. I plan on using it for moving some dirt and leveling some dirt around my old milk barn but also plan on using it to cut in some new roads in my pastures and also use it to upkeep them. I'm not sure if the 84" will be to large for such tasks. Ive only pulled a 60" blade behind my tractor before and it had plenty of power for it. So what does everyone say for the size? also is the RB 16 series fine Ive gotten prices but they seem to be everywhere. The one dealer that recommended the 72" said it would be around $828. The other dealer that said to go 84" said he could sell me one for $765. How do these prices seem to everyone?

Another thing I notice while reading up on Land Prides site is that it says the RB 16 series is a 3 way blade, Tilt, Angle, and offset. But looking at the pictures online of the 16 series it doesn't look like it offsets....??

What are everyone's thoughts on rear blades?????

UnionMan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Based on what you say you want to do with it, I would go with a 72".

The offset on that model is a manual offset.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I bought a Servis Rhino LR blade 38 years ago, and it is a heavy duty son of a gun. 3/8" mold board with a lip on top, swing, tilt and rotate. After 35 years of ditching, digging, grading and plowing snow, the blade is still straight and true. Over the years it has scraped around 400 yards of gravel into the driveway, and scraped it a couple thousand times - over 700'.
So, go for the heavy duty. Woods seems the better of the two. I believe you can handle 84" if you want, but it is a toss-up. Sometimes the blade might seem too big for the job, not the tractor. Get the swing function - there are quite a few times you want to either push things well off to the side, or scrape them back in from the side. Things like the berm of gravel alongside the driveway, or scraping a bank.
A gauge wheel out back is great - it makes the blade act like a road grader.
Heavy duty does not come cheap, but a piece of equipment that lasts is worth the $$.
Particularly for snow removal I wish I had a 7'. For everything else, the 6' seems great! Hope this all helps.

UnionMan

Equipment
Aug 21, 2013
Warrenton, VA
Just got back from one local dealer. Took a look what he had sitting there. He said its a toss up between the 72 and 84 inch. But said the L3800 would handle both. He had a RB 1584 still left over and said he could do $675 on it. He had every size in the RB 16 series and also had the woods equivalent. He had a Land Pride unit with offset but it required two hydro hookups which I'm lacking as well as the couple grand it takes to purchase the blade itself. He had a couple of the woods units that had offset but said they were around the $1,400 range depending on what size I went with. Not sure if the extra money would be worth while for the offset feature. I'm sure but would be nice to have but not sure how much it would actually get used. Thinking about going with the RB 1584 since I would have larger coverage without the offset and also better price then a RB 16 series. If I'm not wrong to me they look exactly the same. Btw I was told $800 for the RB 1684.

UnionMan

UnionMan

Equipment
Aug 21, 2013
Warrenton, VA
Correction to my statement. Looks like the RB 15 series lacks the tilt.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Just got back from one local dealer. Took a look what he had sitting there. He said its a toss up between the 72 and 84 inch. But said the L3800 would handle both. He had a RB 1584 still left over and said he could do $675 on it. He had every size in the RB 16 series and also had the woods equivalent. He had a Land Pride unit with offset but it required two hydro hookups which I'm lacking as well as the couple grand it takes to purchase the blade itself. He had a couple of the woods units that had offset but said they were around the $1,400 range depending on what size I went with. Not sure if the extra money would be worth while for the offset feature. I'm sure but would be nice to have but not sure how much it would actually get used. Thinking about going with the RB 1584 since I would have larger coverage without the offset and also better price then a RB 16 series. If I'm not wrong to me they look exactly the same. Btw I was told $800 for the RB 1684.

UnionMan
It all depends on what you will be doing with the blade as to which unit will perform properly for what you are doing. Typically heavier will get you better performance. Not sure that I would go by what most dealers would recommend. :( Isn't that why we are on these forums?

Anyway, get the heaviest unit that you are comfortable purchasing for the amount of $$$$ that you are willing to spend. You may be sorry if you go light weight.

JMO ;)

UnionMan

Equipment
Aug 21, 2013
Warrenton, VA
Here is what I ended up doing. I went back to the dealer because I swore the RB 15 series blade I saw had a tilt. Went back and It ended up being a RBT1584. The salesman said that $675 is still the price on the unit even though it has the tilt feature. Seems to be a leftover model that was sitting around but faded paint doesn't bother me at all. Still think I got a decent deal on it and also think it will fit the bill for what I want it to do.

While I was there I walked by this gem sitting on a pallet. Looked used and found out it was a consignment item. I asked the Price and they told me $500. I gave them the offer of $425 and we agreed on $450. Looks like a Hay spear/bucket but I will be using it for mostly brush clean up. Figure I cant get hurt at $450 and if I dont like the spears I could have a buddy weld something up to the QA plate and still not be down any money. I'm always looking for a bargain.

UnionMan