L3800 HST Hydraulic Oil Change

ranger4327

Equipment
L3800
Apr 2, 2012
Northern Maine, USA
I will be doing the 400 hour Hydraulic service on my L3800 HST 4wd with new fluid and Filters (2). Just looking for any tips, advice, information anyone is willing to offer on the process

Manual says 6.2 gallons of UDT2 hydraulic oil with filters changed Sound about right?

Also, 2 or 4 drain plugs? I believe there to be 4. Just want to confirm plug locations. Yes I will check manual too, but love hearing what folks say as well.

Thanks in advance to anyone offering help.

CB

Last edited:

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
There are probably (4) drain bolts, 2 down the center and 1 on each differential. I don't know if UDT is available anymore, but regardless, sudt2 is the better fluid in an hst machine.

For draining I use the large plastic storage tubs and then pour the used fluid in 5 gallon buckets for disposal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Rjcorraza is right about the plugs, be sure to have a drain pan to hold that much fluid, or be prepared to put the plug back in and switch. I used empty 5 gallon buckets when draining at the two center plugs, regular auto drain pans work for the 2 on the rear axle.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Mine is gear drive, not HST but I think capacity was pretty close. I bought a 5 gallon bucket and a 2.5 gallon jug of fluid and it easily covered it, doesn’t hurt to have some on hand. Empty the 2.5 gallon first into the tractor, then keep refilling it from the 5 gallon bucket, unless you have another way to transfer the fluid.

ranger4327

Equipment
L3800
Apr 2, 2012
Northern Maine, USA
another question and I think I know the answer.... I have a 5 gallon pail of Kubota UDT2 oil, but am shy of the other 1.5 gallons needed. Nearest Kubota dealer is far away to get a couple gallons to do the change. In lieu of waiting till I can get there, can I/should I just mix with another brand of oil or absolutely not? Again, I would be using about 1.5 gallons of another brand mixed with KUBOTA UDT2.... thoughts?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Would you mix coffee and tea? Pancake syrup and molasses? Bourbon and water?

Errrr.... Forget that last one.

No. Don’t mix them ... unless you want to ruin expensive Kubota SUDT2 fluid.

You realize that you can usually buy such things online? (With Free Shipping? The price difference is usually less than the cost of gas-and-time to drive to a dealer.)

Here’s an example: https://www.amazon.com/Kubota-Genui...words=Kubota+super+udt2&qid=1588681259&sr=8-1

ranger4327

Equipment
L3800
Apr 2, 2012
Northern Maine, USA
thanks and that's what I am thinking.... Totally hear ya !!

I did look at amazon for a jug of it, but damn... that's expensive. I paid a little over $100 bucks at the Kubota dealer for the 5 gallon pail. And amazon is over $90 for 2.5 gallons. I think I will wait and buy it at the dealer......

Would you mix coffee and tea? Pancake syrup and molasses? Bourbon and water?

Errrr.... Forget that last one.

No. Don’t mix them ... unless you want to ruin expensive Kubota SUDT2 fluid.

You realize that you can usually buy such things online? (With Free Shipping? The price difference is usually less than the cost of gas-and-time to drive to a dealer.)

Here’s an example: https://www.amazon.com/Kubota-Genui...words=Kubota+super+udt2&qid=1588681259&sr=8-1

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you want they sell a hand pump that goes into the five gallon bucket nozzle that makes it really easy to get fluid into the transmission.

My small tractor (L185F) is impossibly hard to fill the transmission on without using the pump. Too high and no easy access to the fill port on top of the transmission. Even using the smaller 2.5 gallon size was difficult to use.

I highly recommend getting the pump to fill with unless you’re sure you have good access to the fill port for the size container you intend to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk