L3800 HST 50 hour service

chiefbuzzbee

Equipment
B6000 w/Loader 2013 L3800 w/Loader
Jul 29, 2009
New Hampton,NH
I have had my L3800 for about 3 weeks and have 39 hours on it but have gotten a ton of work done.

I stopped by my dealer today to ask about some implements I can't afford so while I was there I wanted to check cost of oil and filters for the 50 hour service. The first thing I found out the Parts kid had no ideal unless I had a part number so the computer would do the work.

We made it threw the engine OK , but I was surprised that he said to use 10-30 and not 15-40 as the book says for our area. Then when I told him both of the filters for the HST transmission he said no only one because that's all the computer says it has. I said well it has 2, so he called one of the mechanics up off his lunch break, which I felt bad about, and asked him to tell me and he said yes 2. Well I had to go to another appointment and left after that but I'm sure it didn't make his day. Oh and I was told not to worry about changing the transmission oil just the filters ?? It would save me some money but I don't want to shorten the life of my tractor before it is paid for... The Kubota isn't clear and I have been told the amounts of oil may be off also, so now what?

Help ! :confused: You guys I trust!! :rolleyes::)

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I checked with MB tractor in Conway NH , the service guy there did seem to know his ass from his elbow. He quoted me $250. for the 50 hr service. + - depending on if I wanted the differential fluid done also. If the service guy listens to m+m on the radio instead of eating them , I'd look for another dealership.

Fredhargis

Equipment
B2920, FEL, BH, MMM, tiller, grader, snowthrower
Jan 7, 2011
Waynesfield, OH
The maintenance seems to vary from model to model, but on my B2920 at 50 hours it was just the filter. There are 2 filters, one identified as the hydraulic filter (first change at 400 hours, and the fluid as well) the second is the transmission filter (HST) change the filter only at 50 hours. That's what I did, but you do lose a little fluid when removing the filter, I had to put in about 2 quarts of SUDT to get the level back up. It did take a few minutes to figure out which filter was which using the Kubota drawings. Anyway, I agree the manuals are the most clear (I still can't find the filter part numbers in mine) but I do have a chart showing required maintenance that is fairly easy to follow. Lastly I wouldn't listen to the kid at the parts counter, especially if he contradicts what's in the manual.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Your manual will have all the information on the fluids needed.

The parts guy at the dealer I deal with was unsure as well, which is frustrating.

I went with what the manual recommended. Which was kubota 10w-30 and a oil filter for the engine and 2 filters for the trans. I did the filter change only, I did not change the fluid, that's what the manual says to do at 50hrs.

You'll need to buy at a least a gallon of the super udt2, to replace any fluid you will loose in the filter change.

A lot of guys in here change the fluid, which is cool it's their machine, personally I think it's over kill.

If you search around in here, you'll find pics of what mine and others filters looked like, once they were removed. One of them has a magnet to catch any metal debris, mine was not bad at all and I went well over 50hrs.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Yes, it's all in your manual.

I did the trans filer (mine has just one;)). The engine and greased everything.

10w-30 is good. You are up north and winter is fast approaching.

Don't forget the two grease fitting at the front axle support.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I go by the manual, but many just as if not more knowledgeable change fluids as well. I check with my shop foreman, a long time mechanic and he said not to change fluid. If it gives one peace of mind, do it. I use 15-40 as per shop foreman, our winters here aren't very much.

Drew584

Equipment
Kubota L3800DT W/FEL, and 60'' LP Brushhog
Jun 17, 2013
Mannford ok
I would find a new kubota dealer for sure, My 50hr service i changed all fluids even the hydro fluid, yes i am the anal type when it comes to maintanace on anything i own. I also changed all filters, fuel, air, oil, and hydro filter. I was told by the kubota dealer that i went to to run the UDT hydro oil for the gear drive models which thats what mine is, and the SUPER UDT for the hydrostat models, when in doubt of anything read the manual and everything will be a OK!

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
Dealer told me to just change the hydro filters and to just top off the HST fluid. Don't have to change the fluid until the 300 hour mark. I've had great service and advice from my local Kubota dealer.

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
With a local dealer like that, OP, goto: Messicks.com

They have online parts diagrams, search functions, fair pricing and fast shipping.

I was a "change Hydraulic Oil at 50 hours guy" but agree this is personal preference only. The L3700 manual doesn't require this until 450 hours. If you only change the filters, stick the suction hose of a shop vac in the fill port behind the seat and according to many reports, this minimizes the amount of fluid you loose, during the filter changes.

Also, the 3700/3800 models ship with an outer air filter media, only. You can purchase and add a second filter that fits inside the outer for not much money.

That and the advice Bluegill offered on the two zerk fittings on the center of 4WD axle housings is important. I missed them first time around and seem to recall that the owner's manual wasn't exactly clear on those fittings.

Only other thing that occurs to me is to check front axle oil level as many ship low. If you need to add some, add some but re-check after running a bit as you may need even more. Again, personal preference due to the fact I am forced to run in 4WD most all of the time, I swapped the SUDT in the front axle for gear oil.

Last edited: