L3800 broken fuel filter body

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
New member here, I plan to use the site to keep track of the work and over all experience of owning my new Kubota.

Before I start that thread, I have a small problem. While cleaning up some brush I broke the fuel filter body. The part that the filter screws into. At first I thought I had filled it with gas, old habit. Because the tractor stopped running. After checking the receipt it was in fact deisel fuel. I did crank on it a few times before I realized that the filter was laying on the ground. Which as you know was a mistake. After a google search which led me to this site and a video of Vic showing how to bleed the air from the fuel system. Vic, great simple to follow video that helped me temporarily fix the problem. There were enough of the threads left on the body to allow the filter to screw on long enough to get it started and out of the brush. It was leaking fuel but we had rain and sleet coming in and I didn't want to leave it outside.

I guess my questions would be, will this be covered under warranty? Also, is the replacement part plastic like the current part? Anyone else have this problem? If so, is there way of preventing this from happening again?

I have 13.8 hours on the tractor so far, I took delivery about a month ago. I don't plan to abuse the tractor but I bought it to use not sit around and look pretty.

Thanks Ben

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
I have not broken mine YET however have read several post of this problem. Probably not covered by warranty but it is worth a try to see what your dealer will do.

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
I think your fuel filter is similar to the one on my x-b2620 and current B3200. It is a glass bowl with a paper cartridge inside.
If so, I broke the filter off of the b2620 while bushhogging. I was able to get it back on the trailer and get it home to be repaired.
As I remember the entire housing was less than $75.00. And that encluded the filter. Easy to change out the broken one with only two screws and three lines to switch.
When I first looked at the b2620 I made the comment that the fuel filter was just waiting to be ripped off. And sure enought on the second or third time bush hogging I did just that.
Then when I purchased my B3200, there was the fuel filter in the same exposed area as the b2620.
I have actually thought about moving that filter to the firewall, below the fuel tank and out of harms way. :)

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Thanks for the reply, I'll do a search on the site to see what else has been said.

I text my dealer right after if happened. It was after shop hours and I haven't heard back from him. I was willing to buy the part, mostly wanted to finish what I was doing. I'm in sales so I know how it is with customers contacting me on my off time. But he did give me his number for reason, any response would have been helpful. Not to mention that he answered a couple text on his iPhone while we were completeling my deal.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Maybe this will be a easy fix and not very expensive either. You mentioned your "old habit" and thought you might have filled it with gas. I hope you never post anything about that happening to you. The repair for that mistake won't be easy nor cheap. You'll swear up and down that Kubota installed a self destruck mode on there.

dude693

Equipment
L3800/1860 land pride brush cutter/reverse 60 inch tiller
i have same tractor and i did the same thing brush hogging. i was lucky i called dealer after hours and he waited for me to purchse the part. it cost less than 25.00 for complete housing and it was plastic. I guess it so much fun brush hogging we forget to look forward to see the brush nocking filter off.

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Maybe this will be a easy fix and not very expensive either. You mentioned your "old habit" and thought you might have filled it with gas. I hope you never post anything about that happening to you. The repair for that mistake won't be easy nor cheap. You'll swear up and down that Kubota installed a self destruck mode on there.
I hope to never post that either. I bought a nice metal safety can that is much different than my gas cans. My JD is gas, that would be the old habit.

It just died yesterday and that was the first thing I thought. I could not have checked the receipt faster than I did. Oh, there was a hot blonde in tight pants pumping fuel when I pulled up. So I was a little distracted.

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
i have same tractor and i did the same thing brush hogging. i was lucky i called dealer after hours and he waited for me to purchse the part. it cost less than 25.00 for complete housing and it was plastic. I guess it so much fun brush hogging we forget to look forward to see the brush nocking filter off.
Seems like it will be a problem again in the future. I have a lot of brush/ saplings to clean out. I might just buy two of them if they're only $25 a piece.

Thanks for the replys, Ben

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I picked up the fuel filter body at the kubato dealer today.

I've searched things like this in the past and not found the answer because no one followed through. So here is what I came up with.

1. It was not covered under warranty.
2. The part was in stock and under $20.
3. The part #6A320-59912, this is not the bowl and filter but the piece that they screw into.

I was going to buy an extra to have around but he only had one. He said its not that common on the L series but was very common on the B series. I still think its going to happen again. I plan to build some type of frame or protection for it when I get a chance.

Cheers Ben

SCPOret

Equipment
B7510HSD, LA272 FEL, Mohawk Brave shredder, Modern rear blade
Jan 21, 2013
Alvin, TX - USA
Because this fuel filter is exposed and easily broken when bolted solidly to the tractor, I have found that if you attach it with electrical tie-wraps (snug but not tight) the filter can move a little when you hit something with it. If you use the small tie-wraps they will break before the filter. The part (complete assembly) lists for $20.58 currently. Since all the attaching lines are flexible it can move around without a problem.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
I hope to never post that either. I bought a nice metal safety can that is much different than my gas cans. My JD is gas, that would be the old habit.

It just died yesterday and that was the first thing I thought. I could not have checked the receipt faster than I did. Oh, there was a hot blonde in tight pants pumping fuel when I pulled up. So I was a little distracted.
This is a easy work around, without different fuel cans. Just use dyed off road diesel. It is not only cheaper, but the red color will stand out in stark contrast to the clear gasoline.

And to boot the off road diesel is cheaper!

David

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
That's a great idea, thank you.

I already have a metal cage layed out but I think I like that idea better.

I'm referring to the zip tie idea.

I only have a couple places that are close to buy diesel, so my options are fairly limited.

Thanks Ben

Last edited:

Frank Peters

Equipment
Mower Bx 2360
Jul 27, 2012
Moe Victoria Australia
Hi all,

on my B24 I have similar problem with fuel filter. It has been ripped off by front wheel as I was turning with new tyres and crossed the gutter.

Clearance is so small. I have repaired it by putting metal plate behind the plastic bracket and glue it together.

Then I have repositioned the filter about 2" back so it wouldn’t happen again. So far so good.

Regards Frank.

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Again, another great idea. Thank you.

I had planned to use a piece of sheet metal to make a solid back then weld a small homemade cage to the front of that. After a closer look the oil filter is just to the bottom right of the fuel filter. Basically right in the way of my homemade cage. So I may need to move it back a couple inches.

I plan to use the zip tie idea first, then go from there.

The weather here in southern Illinois is crazy at times. We are about 2" over in the rain gage for the year. Yesterday it was 70, so if I take my tractor out I'll just make a mess. We had tornado warnings last night. It's supposed to be snowing and a high of 19 by Friday. I like it when it's below freezing, as i can get out there without tearing any up. Other than tractor parts anyway.

Sorry to much coffee this morning....

Ben

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
just broke my fuel filter today… yep, brush hogging.
the stick or small branch even poked a hole into the fuel line..
until the dealer opens monday. i'm using a clear inline automotive filter… the little vent line is still attached to the broken filter..
zip tied the inline fuel filter to the the fuel filter and fuel lines..
hope it holds out for the rest of the weekend…
i'm going to figure out a fix for this..
i'm thinking of a metal bracket/shield using the filter hold down bolts and wrapping around the front and to the outside of the filter. allowing access from the rear of the shield.. to change the filter element..
only 86 hrs on the tractor..

update on the filter assy. they had one in stock… but sunday the tach drive cable broke. i found a tight bend near the fuel filter assy… so a new tach cable and shaft is on order.. both fuel filter assy and the tach drive cable come to less than $60.. so it wasn't so bad… but having to pull the dash to replace the cable is going to take a few minutes...

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
The exposed easy to break fuel filter is the Only negative I can come up with on the L3800. I knocked mine lose once, but have not broken it yet. I plan to relocate it at some point, like the older Kubotas, back near the fuel tank.

Benhameen

Equipment
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I replaced my fuel filter body but have not made any upgrades to prevent it from happening again.

I bought a few square U bolts to make a cage but haven't been able to get my buddy over here with his welder to put it all together. I'll post pics if I ever get it completed.

I like the inline filter idea as a temporary fix.

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
yea, the filter was borrowed off my diesel ford ranger… until i get to a parts store…
didn't want to leave k.t. in the field...