L3700SU, your cover is coated....

millerized

Equipment
BX22
Sep 19, 2011
Inwood, WV
Mr. Blair, I have a pretty large piece of orange stuff in my oven that needs to come your direction this week or so. ;)

All 100+lbs of it:)
Getting ready to pull this out when it cools, then do the support bars and brackets.

Crap....Going to be a bitch lot of fun getting this out and loaded without scratching it. My neighbor will be home late tonight, maybe I can get an assist?!

L3700SU

Equipment
MX5800 HST w/1065FEL & teeth, WOODS PRD72 finish mower, Bauma Stumpblaster
Feb 16, 2011
Mercersburg,Pa,USA
Looks like you did a great job. My canopy looks great in that color. I can't wait to get it back and put it on. Call me or send an email to arrange pickup.

Looks like it just fit in your oven.

Thanks Jim.

Last edited:

millerized

Equipment
BX22
Sep 19, 2011
Inwood, WV
"Just" is right. It needed the brackets edges touched up when I opened the door cause it was touching the sides.

It's not 100%, but it's 80% or better. Sheen isn't all gloss from side to side :( (because it had to be shot 4 times to get complete coverage) but it is all orange now.

Brackets are done as well. Will give you a shout after work today, left the cell at the house this AM.

Looks like you did a great job. My canopy looks great in that color. I can't wait to get it back and put it on. Call me or send an email to arrange pickup.

Looks like it just fit in your oven.

Thanks Jim.

L3700SU

Equipment
Feb 16, 2011
Mercersburg,Pa,USA
Mounted canopy and took it into the woods today.
I'm glad I made my own out of steel instead of buying a plastic or fiberglass one.
I ran into a leaning tree while position to pull a log out. Had it not been #11 gauge steel, I'm afraid it would have been damaged. As it was, no damage and 'Millerized Powder Coating' survived without a scratch.
Thanks again Jim.

Attachments

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
That canopy looks real nice and the powder coat looks great.

I've got a question about the powder coating though. I've been disappointed in every piece of steel equipment and/or implement that I've ever owned that was powder coated. Without exception every one has eventually rusted horribly under the powder coat. Some things to the point that they were rendered unusable. So what gives?
Great results with aluminum things like my motorcycle wheels & etc, but on steel... not so much luck.
Example? The mounts on my Reese hitch for the pick-up. 1/4 inch steel rusted clear through under the powder coat finish, they'd have been better off left bare. Is it just poor quality, poor workmanship?

L3700SU

Equipment
Feb 16, 2011
Mercersburg,Pa,USA

I've got a question about the powder coating though. I've been disappointed in every piece of steel equipment and/or implement that I've ever owned that was powder coated. Without exception every one has eventually rusted horribly under the powder coat. Some things to the point that they were rendered unusable. So what gives?
Great results with aluminum things like my motorcycle wheels & etc, but on steel... not so much luck.
Example? The mounts on my Reese hitch for the pick-up. 1/4 inch steel rusted clear through under the powder coat finish, they'd have been better off left bare. Is it just poor quality, poor workmanship?
I've seen the poor quality powder coatings of which you speak. Steel gates, trailer hitches. I can only speculate they where done in high production environments where specific amount of the color granules is allotted to a product whether the item is sufficiently coated or not. It's about quantity, not quality.

In reality, powder coating, if done properly with sufficient cleaning and de-greasing, is much tougher and durable than atomized spray or dip coatings.

Millerized may be better at answering your question since he's the powdercoat guy.

millerized

Equipment
BX22
Sep 19, 2011
Inwood, WV

Steel needs to be kept clean and dry. I blasted his top again once I got ready for the oven. If it sets more than a day or 2, it needs blasted again. Flash rust will occur in minutes in a moist environment. Blast a piece, dip it in water for a few seconds, then take it out and wipe a white cloth across it. You'll get orange very quickly, and it ain't Kubota orange.

If it were going to set for a few days, you have to either blast it again right before coating (and right after you need to pre-heat/degas/degrease bake it) or hit it with an anti-rust coating. I think I used to use Metal Ready. Now I just bake right after blasting. With the anti-rust coating, you get a few days of play time before it starts flash rusting again.

Metal Ready is a phosphoric acid/zinc metal mix, that 'phosphates' the metal leaving a thin layer of a zinc on it. Zinc Phosphate prevents the rust, and also adds a bit of bite for the paint/powder to stick and get a grip on. (http://www.por15.com/Data Sheets/metalreadyreg.pdf)

But powder, if done correctly, will withstand even saltwater, gasoline, oils and lubricant immersion for a long time before starting to rust. Unless you scratch it, pit it or start with a suspect surface, it doesn't not rust from the inside out without rust being there before the coating goes on.

Guessing that the time between sandblasting/coating is too long, or maybe even being sandblasted with a moist air source. I use air driers on my lines used for both blasting and powder (and paint, and ....). The Horrible Fright dessicant air driers work well for this, but quality paper and cartridge filters are best for me so far. The surface has got to be rust free and dry. Preheating the steel before you coat, but after you blast is a must.

Either that or I'm really lucky. In almost 10yrs of hobby (and 'professional') coating, I've never had a piece come back for rusting from the inside, tho. Hopefully I see very few in the future as well.

That said, there's still about 2 or so pounds of orange left in the garage is someone wants their "insert Kubota object/equipment here" coated. Probably won't get the deal Mr. Blair did, but you never know.

Last edited: