L3650 - passed on this one

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
...but probably should have bought it!

Selling price ($10,500) includes buyer commission and sales tax.
The only things I did NOT like about this tractor at that price was the hours (2355).
And, the fact that it sat almost 600 miles from "here".

Maybe I'm being too fussy.

B'cause, this is exactly the tractor I have been looking for!
I would be as happy with an L3450 or an L4350.

-Paul

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you could talk to the owner, know some of it's history, why it's being sold, etc you'd feel better about going the 600 miles to get it. Knowing how the hours were accumulated, who and how it was serviced makes a big difference in the comfort level in time of bidding. Realistically, you have to figure something is going to need attention and you have to factor that in, especially if you can't talk to the seller.

Don't beat yourself up too bad. You could have been high bidder, had to drive 600 miles to get it and get home and wish you didn't!!!!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
...but probably should have bought it!

Selling price ($10,500) includes buyer commission and sales tax.
The only things I did NOT like about this tractor at that price was the hours (2355).
And, the fact that it sat almost 600 miles from "here".

Maybe I'm being too fussy.

B'cause, this is exactly the tractor I have been looking for!
I would be as happy with an L3450 or an L4350.

-Paul
I do believe that you did the CORRECT thing, by passing on THIS one!
Try to be patient, ......another,.... likely better,..... will come along.
I searched for nearly a year before I found my (perfect for me) L48 TLB with only 251 total hours.
When I found it (300 miles away), I jumped right on it, with a big fist full of cash!

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've seen these folks sell a couple new or demo New Hollands this year with manufacturer warranty.

See they have Workmaster 75 with FEL and Cab this Saturday. Demo with 10 hours.

Not a Kubota, but the 2 I saw sell in spring went quite cheap IMO.... not very far from NE PA.....

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Thanks guys.

I'm not looking for a tractor to restore or to show. The less wrench time I'll need to invest to make it fully functional, the happier I'll be.

The things I saw in the pics that give me back-bidder's remorse:

- virtually new front tires.
- Bone-straight bucket (screams "not abused")
- Nice straight brush guard (says "ditto")
- no evidence of chronic oil leaks to be seen.

Cons:
- looks like it was stored outside for most of its life
- goofy Farmall rear wheel weights. What are those, 100 lb each? Pffft!

I had never noticed that the front end styling is mimicked by that on my 1989 G1800. Awwww....

Hey, one will pop up next door tomorrow!

-Paul

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Just curious why you’re specifically after the 50 series? Myself, I’m partial to the 30 and 40 series Ls.

FWIW, I’d have passed on that deal too due to the “high(er)” hours.

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Just curious why you’re specifically after the 50 series? Myself, I’m partial to the 30 and 40 series Ls.

FWIW, I’d have passed on that deal too due to the “high(er)” hours.
I spent a long time looking at the Kubota L-series models.
I was looking for 4-cylinder, Direct Injection engines.
Four models fit the bill for me:
L3250 - V1902 DI
L3450 - V1902 DI
L3650 - V1902 DI
L4350 - V2203 DI

Also, many or even most of the late 1990s and 2000s tractors use a lot of plastic trim. On used tractors it is very common for this trim to be heavily damaged, or completely missing. It does get brittle with age, also.

I'm looking for a mismatch between real 'value' and price. Of course, how well the 'value' is reflected in age versus hours on the machine is variable in the marketplace. Basically, I'm looking to snag a "cream puff" for a low price. I think the newer machines get more looks by prospective buyers. Shiny sells, to some. I'm usually quite willing to trade convenience for simplicity.

I see that many of the larger L30 and L40 series use a V2200 or V2403 engine, but I have struggled to get data on the injection systems of these engines. Tractordata is a bit sketchy...

Does anyone have a good source for design data on obsolete Kubota engines? Mostly interested in the injection system.

-Paul

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've seen these folks sell a couple new or demo New Hollands this year with manufacturer warranty.

See they have Workmaster 75 with FEL and Cab this Saturday. Demo with 10 hours.

Not a Kubota, but the 2 I saw sell in spring went quite cheap IMO.... not very far from NE PA.....

Dr. Paul - my apologies for the tangent on your thread.

The New Holland Workmaster 75 that I linked before sold for $39,000.

I happened to catch the sale online.

Would be + 10-13% buyers premium, plus another 8% NYS Sales Tax, if applicable.

Seems like a good price for the horsepower. They had a few similar. Sounds like this was the last one.

Not a fan nor foe of New Holland. Don’t know anything about the model being sold. 10 hours with warranty.

Just wanted to close the loop. I didn’t bid on it.

IMG_6017.jpeg

Paul - again my apologies.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming……😉

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I spent a long time looking at the Kubota L-series models.
I was looking for 4-cylinder, Direct Injection engines.
Four models fit the bill for me:
L3250 - V1902 DI
L3450 - V1902 DI
L3650 - V1902 DI
L4350 - V2203 DI

Also, many or even most of the late 1990s and 2000s tractors use a lot of plastic trim. On used tractors it is very common for this trim to be heavily damaged, or completely missing. It does get brittle with age, also.

I'm looking for a mismatch between real 'value' and price. Of course, how well the 'value' is reflected in age versus hours on the machine is variable in the marketplace. Basically, I'm looking to snag a "cream puff" for a low price. I think the newer machines get more looks by prospective buyers. Shiny sells, to some. I'm usually quite willing to trade convenience for simplicity.

I see that many of the larger L30 and L40 series use a V2200 or V2403 engine, but I have struggled to get data on the injection systems of these engines. Tractordata is a bit sketchy...

Does anyone have a good source for design data on obsolete Kubota engines? Mostly interested in the injection system.

-Paul
I shopped (2019) in a similar way.
Nearly a year of shopping brought me to a 2006 250 hour L48 TLB, 300 miles away, for $32K.
Private owner machine, had been kept outside, looking somewhat faded.

Repainted wheels and fenders, and compounded remainder.
Re-blackened hoses and chafe guards.
Only plastic is console, and I refurbished that.
Machine lives inside now , and looks almost new!

Contractor friend says I.... "stole it".
I think he is correct!

New model close equivalent (L47 TLB) is $80K+
I have never bought a new tractor, and at my age, never will.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Love the replies, guys.
Thanks!

I saw the sale bill for the August 12 Manasse sale in Lancaster Farming.

Actually, I live in SOUTHeast PA, and the NY state line is a 2.5 hour drive for me.

I didn't see anything in this sale that would make me want to drive that far, but I'll watch for the next one!

The sale down in NC was interesting, because there were many lots that were located somewhere else, sometimes states away. Another thing about that sale was curious to me: There were a half-dozen full-size scrapers in the sale (Cat, Fiat-Allis). BIG-ass diesel engines. They were having a hard time selling them at $6000, even with fairly low hours (<5000). The haulage for machines like that has to be daunting....It's just very informative to see how the marketplace values equipment. Just because it is what it is, doesn't mean it will bring its curb value! Like, if you can't haul it, you're not going to bid!

The used equipment auction business seems to have proliferated. There are a half-dozen of these outfits within 50 miles of me. Some of these outfits have multiple offices across the US. Hmmm, might be an opportunity to negotiate some cheap transport, although these guys always have their eyes on 'the ball'. Know whut ah mean, Vern?

-Paul

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Love the replies, guys.
Thanks!

I saw the sale bill for the August 12 Manasse sale in Lancaster Farming.

Actually, I live in SOUTHeast PA, and the NY state line is a 2.5 hour drive for me.

I didn't see anything in this sale that would make me want to drive that far, but I'll watch for the next one!

The sale down in NC was interesting, because there were many lots that were located somewhere else, sometimes states away. Another thing about that sale was curious to me: There were a half-dozen full-size scrapers in the sale (Cat, Fiat-Allis). BIG-ass diesel engines. They were having a hard time selling them at $6000, even with fairly low hours (<5000). The haulage for machines like that has to be daunting....It's just very informative to see how the marketplace values equipment. Just because it is what it is, doesn't mean it will bring its curb value! Like, if you can't haul it, you're not going to bid!

The used equipment auction business seems to have proliferated. There are a half-dozen of these outfits within 50 miles of me. Some of these outfits have multiple offices across the US. Hmmm, might be an opportunity to negotiate some cheap transport, although these guys always have their eyes on 'the ball'. Know whut ah mean, Vern?

-Paul
Auctions can be useful, but IMHO private party one off sales are more likely to produce a relative bargain.