L3600 - won't stop

Timnj

Equipment
l3600 gst
Jul 5, 2011
Milford, NJ
L3600 -

1.) It won't stop after I turn the key to the off position. I have to pull the stop knob.

2.) The glow plug light will intermittently illuminate. How do I correct this issue.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Timnj

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Is it supposed to stop when you turn the key or are you supposed to pull the shutoff knob/lever, I have 2 Kubotas and they both require me to manually shut them down after I turn the ignition key off and that is they way they were designed.

Timnj

Equipment
l3600 gst
Jul 5, 2011
Milford, NJ
I bought this tractor about 6 months ago and finally got the operators manual. The operators manual says that you only use the key to turn off the engine. It also says that only for emergencies that you should use the Engine Stop Knob.

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
The first question I have would be "is there an electric fuel pump?". I would think not, as shutting off the key would stop the pump and therefore stop the engine.
So you may have the same problem I posted here over a year ago. When I push the throttle past the idle position, against a spring resistance, it is supposed to cut off the fuel supply. In my unit the internal linkage is bent, so the fuel is not properly stopped. The beast would idle along quite happily until I pulled the knob marked 'stop' which is actually the decompression lever. After much adjusting, with the 'start spring' in or out, I finally got it to the point where it would idle very slowly, then I put the loader to the full down position, and that small load on the engine is enough to stall it.
On these units, the ignition can be on or off while running, as there is no electrical system needed for the diesel.

semi42

Jun 21, 2011
uk
if it is supposed to stop with the key, then it sounds like either the fuse for the stop solenoid has gone or the solenoid itself has failed.

Timnj

Equipment
l3600 gst
Jul 5, 2011
Milford, NJ
Paid a visit to the Kubota Dealer and asked about the stopping problem and I was told that the engine should stop with the key only. The stop knob is only for emergence shut downs.

I told them that I disconnected the stop solenoid electrical connection and tested the stop solenoid with a continuity tester. The tester buzzed when I connected one lead of the tester to the engine block and the other end to the lead coming out of the canister of the stop solenoid. So the stop solenoid should be good.

I then checked to see what kind of voltage was coming from the wire for the stop solenoid. Started the engine it had 4.25 vdc with the engine running but, immediately went to 0 vdc when the key was placed in the off position and the stop solenoid knob pulled.

So now the problem seems to be between the stop solenoid and the switch and without an electrical schematic I am at a lost !

Any suggestions ?

ibentaken

Feb 10, 2010
desoto kansas
I am unsure of your model but I have a GST3300 and had the same problem with the glow plug light going off and on. I had to replace the relay under the dash. There are three parts in the electrial circuit for the glow plugs. I replaced all three they are under the dash on my machine. As far as your shutting off sounds to me likemit is in the key switch but I not a 100% about that one.

firejunkie

Equipment
Kubota Mx4700 4w/FEL, Modern Ag cutter,Dirt dog Box blade and Rake, Custom forks
Mar 19, 2011
greenwood, SC
Really simple test

Start engine, pull electric plug from stop solenoid, if it keeps running replace bad solenoid.

If you have 4-5 volts at the solenoid wire in "run position" and 0 volts in off position then the key switch and/relay is working.

Timnj

Equipment
l3600 gst
Jul 5, 2011
Milford, NJ
One of the guys at the Kubota dealer suggested that I check and clean the fuse box and any connections for that circuit.

:):)Sure enough the cleaning the fuse box and terminals did the trick!:):)

I want to thank all of you for your suggestions.

Timnj