L3600 GST - transmission problems

Timnj

Equipment
l3600 gst
Jul 5, 2011
Milford, NJ
L3600 GST
Sporadicly, the gears from 1-5 do not engage. For an example, driving in 3rd gear and then slid the gear selector to 4th gear, sometimes nothing happens, as if the transmission were in neutral. To correct the problem I would move the selector to the next lower gear and if the lower gear engages then I will move the gear selector back up to the higher gear. (This method usually works).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I would start with a full service on the trans/hyd system. It should have been changed at 50 hrs. and then at either 400hr or 600hr intervals after that. My L series service intervals are at 400hrs. and my M series intervals are at 600hrs with a filter change at 300hrs. If yours is a 4wd the front end oil should have been changed every time the service was due on the tranny.

A few extra dollars spent on oil is much cheaper than having it repaired in my opinion.

Last edited:

Timnj

Equipment
l3600 gst
Jul 5, 2011
Milford, NJ
Bulldog, thanks for your reply, I bought this tractor last fall and it has not been used until just recently. I will change the trans/hyd oil ASAP. I am not sure of the maintanece history, but it does seem to be lacking. Just changed the engine oil and oil filter and the oil actually was very clean. The fuel element on the other hand was a different story. The element was in two pieces, also missing the small and large O-rings. Very surprise there weren't any leaks!

Again, thanks for the advice and I will change the HYD/Trans oil and start a maintanece program.

Thanks

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I hope that will fix your shifting problem.

It's a pain to spend the money to buy a tractor and then turn right around and dump all the fluids out. I don't know of any other way to insure that the proper service is done though. It seems to many times that tractor owners ignore the hyd/trans fluid and just never service it. It makes no sence to me to change the engine oil and let the rest go. A good running engine is worth nothing if the rest of the tractor is worn out and broken.

Good luck with your and keep us posted on how it does.