L3600 gst shift problems

Dirtmover

Equipment
L3600 GST
Apr 28, 2019
Kelso Washington USA
Hello, I'm new to the Forum. I own a l 3600 with a GST shift transmission. I recently had one side of the cable for the GST shifter break so I've replaced it with a new one. After installing it I noticed it wouldn't go into gear until I move the shifter all the way down to 3rd gear position. so I assumed it was an adjustment issue and went back down to the dealer to get the adjustment procedure. I have adjusted this thing back and forth for an hour with no progress. At times it won't move it all. For the most part I have 3 gears starting from the third gear position slow, medium at 7th position and fast at 8th. There is no progression in between these three positions anymore. I can see the oil level in the sight glass and it looks clean as it did the day I got it. the machine has a little over 400 hours on it. I'm assuming I'm having a problem with the valve body or shift valve assembly? I am a transmission mechanic and I'm not afraid to jump in here. Has anybody experienced this before or have any legitimate advice on how to start diagnosis of this problem?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hello, I'm new to the Forum. I own a l 3600 with a GST shift transmission. I recently had one side of the cable for the GST shifter break so I've replaced it with a new one. After installing it I noticed it wouldn't go into gear until I move the shifter all the way down to 3rd gear position. so I assumed it was an adjustment issue and went back down to the dealer to get the adjustment procedure. I have adjusted this thing back and forth for an hour with no progress. At times it won't move it all. For the most part I have 3 gears starting from the third gear position slow, medium at 7th position and fast at 8th. There is no progression in between these three positions anymore. I can see the oil level in the sight glass and it looks clean as it did the day I got it. the machine has a little over 400 hours on it. I'm assuming I'm having a problem with the valve body or shift valve assembly? I am a transmission mechanic and I'm not afraid to jump in here. Has anybody experienced this before or have any legitimate advice on how to start diagnosis of this problem?
Did it work fine before the cable broke?

If it did, it's an adjustment or setup issue, not an internal issue.

They replaced one cable??? or the whole assembly as I've never seen one cable for sale???? :confused:

Dirtmover

Equipment
L3600 GST
Apr 28, 2019
Kelso Washington USA
Thanks for the reply North Idaho wolf man
Yes it was working correctly before the cable broke. It was the middle of winter when the cable broke. Snow on the ground and below freezing. I started the tractor to move snow. Put it in gear and it wouldn't move. Found a broken shift cable. I replaced the whole assembly. When I removed the lower part of the cable assembly that bolts onto the shift shaft I found the housing was broke as well on the top where the top cable threads into it. I worked on it after the snow had melted and warmed above freezing. Found a little water in and around the cable assembly. That may have froze and when I shifted it the cable broke not sure.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm betting your shift cam is 180 degrees out of time, there is a mark on it and the case where it will line up.

Do you have the WSM for it?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'm betting it needs a fluid and filter change as well. Looks can be deceiving, just because it 'looks good' in the sight glass, don't mean it is. (good).

Dirtmover

Equipment
L3600 GST
Apr 28, 2019
Kelso Washington USA
We had a beautiful sunny day today here Washington state. I got home after work and pulled the shift cable assembly off of the transmission shift shaft. North Idaho Wolfman you were right. The marks were a 180 out. Works as it should now. I wanted to share in case someone else runs into this problem. North Idaho Wolfman I owe you and I'm very grateful. How can I compensate you for the help?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
We had a beautiful sunny day today here Washington state. I got home after work and pulled the shift cable assembly off of the transmission shift shaft. North Idaho Wolfman you were right. The marks were a 180 out. Works as it should now. I wanted to share in case someone else runs into this problem. North Idaho Wolfman I owe you and I'm very grateful. How can I compensate you for the help?
I'm glad I could help you out! :D

Tex02

Equipment
L3600 GST
Feb 7, 2021
Texas
New here, inherited a L3600 that the shuttle was off the shaft inside. Restored shuttle and places stops on topside... now bolted up side access panel and replaced fluid. No joy. Feels like it’s in neutral. I can toggle fwd and reverse. Nada.. tried 1-8 gears. Took banjo off loose and have fluid, took shift lever off and confirmed alignment, and next plate to ensure fluid pushed out air... still no luck. Raises and lowered front end loaded and 3 pt, all seems normal except no fwd/Reverse. Any ideas out there? Am I missing a procedure to bleed air from valves behind all these Allen head plugs??

thanks
T