l3600 clutch problem

motmow

Equipment
L2350DT, JD 1070, L245
Jun 13, 2015
Chesapeake, VA
My neighbor is having an issue with his clutch not returning after he lets out on it. He can reach down with his foot and pull it up, but it won't come up on its own. I think it's probably the pressure plate or possibly the throw out bearing getting hung up. I'm thinking it will have be split. I checked all the linkage.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
WOW you must have a gave him a stroke when you gave him that bad news! :(

Now walk over and tell him his problem is more like a $8 spring, P/N TA040-44160, and less than an hour of easy work to replace it, I would suggest you take a beverage with you to give him! ;)

Attachments

motmow

Equipment
L2350DT, JD 1070, L245
Jun 13, 2015
Chesapeake, VA
No sorry, I don't have either for that model.
I found one. I can send it to you via email if you want to put it on your website. I looked at that spring but that's not the problem. it is binding up inside the bell housing. The clutch is very difficult to depress and once it is down you have to help the spring bring the pedal back up.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I can send it to you via email if you want to put it on your website. I looked at that spring but that's not the problem. it is binding up inside the bell housing. The clutch is very difficult to depress and once it is down you have to help the spring bring the pedal back up.
Yes please send me what you have, so I can share.

I still say it's in the lever or rod, even if the clutch pressure plate is bad it has no bearing on the pedal returning up only down.
I would spray some PB blaster on the clutch rod at all joints and where it goes into the case, look on the other side and see if you can get some on that side too.
If that doesn't do it then yes You'll have to split it but I bet it's only to clean up the sleeve that the bearing holder rides on.

Attachments

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
Is there an inspection plug that you can pull out of the bottom and spray some penetrating oil on the bearing holder tube? Just dont get it on the clutch. Disconnect your linkage at the throw out shaft, and see if it returns normally. If not, you got something going on in the bellhousing, but I would try to lube it if you can before you go to the work of splitting it

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Adding on along the lines of what Shadow is talking about.

#150 in yellow is a cap to the other side of the clutch rod lever, you might be able to pull it out and get some oil in there, you need to get lube on parts #15 in red that the shaft rides on.
Look on the right side of the housing for a plug that can be removed in Blue, if not you can remove the weep drain in green (it's the nut with a stem hanging out of it) and you might be able to spray some penetrating oil on the bearing holder tube.
do that with the clutch pedal depressed.

Attachments

motmow

Equipment
L2350DT, JD 1070, L245
Jun 13, 2015
Chesapeake, VA
Yes please send me what you have, so I can share.

I still say it's in the lever or rod, even if the clutch pressure plate is bad it has no bearing on the pedal returning up only down.
I would spray some PB blaster on the clutch rod at all joints and where it goes into the case, look on the other side and see if you can get some on that side too.
If that doesn't do it then yes You'll have to split it but I bet it's only to clean up the sleeve that the bearing holder rides on.

You were right. The rod was so seized up that we ended up splitting it anyway. It took a good sized hammer to move the rod back and forth. Ended up removing the shift fork and driving the rod out, cleaning with emery cloth, and using a wire brush on my drill to clean out the holes on each side. It works like a champ now. I told my neighbor if it was mine I would drill a hole on each side and add a grease zert. We started a 7AM and put the loader back on at 3. She works so much better now.

Attachments