L35 won’t move, help needed to diagnose clutch or shuttle or both.

Billssa

Equipment
L-35
Nov 16, 2022
Alton birginia
Hey folks back for knowledge. I got my l35 split again and am lost what it am looking for. Once again I have not done any transmission work and it work before disassembly the 1st time . Splitting the engine I can’t see much except for the fork and release bearing? The fork was not lined up right. Would this make the tractor not shift? With it being stuck in reverse before is there a way to get it neutral or is that important before I start the install again.
Is there a trick to get the roll pins out? Wedged in there and it won’t allow me to see if the linkage came apart in the housing without getting that pin out, split the tractor and can’t see much

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hey folks back for knowledge. I got my l35 split again and am lost what it am looking for. Once again I have not done any transmission work and it work before disassembly the 1st time . Splitting the engine I can’t see much except for the fork and release bearing? The fork was not lined up right. Would this make the tractor not shift? With it being stuck in reverse before is there a way to get it neutral or is that important before I start the install again.
Nope, the clutch has nothing to do with it not shifting out of reverse.
Move #80 in the above picture and feel if it's popping (engaging the detents) into them when you turn the shaft.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is there a trick to get the roll pins out? Wedged in there and it won’t allow me to see if the linkage came apart in the housing without getting that pin out, split the tractor and can’t see much
The roll pins in there require you to remove the inside pin first then the outside pin.
Have you never taken them out?
If you haven't ever pulled the pins, then your issue is the clocking of the splines when you put it back together.
You have #160 and #110 in the wrong clock position thus making the shift lever movement bottom out before it could engage the forward detent.
1676740789479.png

Last edited:

Billssa

Equipment
L-35
Nov 16, 2022
Alton birginia
Move #80 in the above picture and feel if it's popping (engaging the detents) into them when you turn the shaft.
That’s right you told me that,
ok on the clutch, I am having a issue getting that roll pin out so I can’t see done in the housing. I have about a 1/2 inch of play in the shaft. I attached the gear shifter to see if I could shift it with everything out of the way and still can’t move #80. Since I have it split can I access to see if everything is in place a different way? Are you telling me the knuckle on shifter is the ploblem?

Billssa

Equipment
L-35
Nov 16, 2022
Alton birginia
That’s right you told me that,

ok on the clutch, I am having a issue getting that roll pin out so I can’t see done in the housing. I have about a 1/2 inch of play in the shaft. I attached the gear shifter to see if I could shift it with everything out of the way and still can’t move #80. Since I have it split can I access to see if everything is in place a different way? Are you telling me the knuckle on shifter is the ploblem?
Got the rings fixed and now the tranny, gonna be smooth machine I hope

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Give me a picture of what you have in front of you.
As I'm not understanding how you split it and yet still have the shifter in place.
Is the steering column still attached to the top of the transmission?

Billssa

Equipment
L-35
Nov 16, 2022
Alton birginia
Give me a picture of what you have in front of you.
As I'm not understanding how you split it and yet still have the shifter in place.
Is the steering column still attached to the top of the transmission?

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks that helps a ton!
Can you rotate the shuttle lever and feel it pop between the detents?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's going to be a fairly solid pop.
Give it one more go try while turning the input shaft at the same time, as it is a mechanical shuttle and you need to align the synchro's.

Billssa

Equipment
L-35
Nov 16, 2022
Alton birginia
No rotation has a little bit of play but that’s it
It's going to be a fairly solid pop.
Give it one more go try while turning the input shaft at the same time, as it is a mechanical shuttle and you need to align the synchro's.
I was able to get the pin out I can’t get the shaft off to see down in the housing to see. I can get the shaft to a place where there is no play but still can’t shift. If I remove the seat can I see in the tranny to see if the shifting rod is connected properly?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I was able to get the pin out I can’t get the shaft off to see down in the housing to see. I can get the shaft to a place where there is no play but still can’t shift. If I remove the seat can I see in the tranny to see if the shifting rod is connected properly?
You will not be able to see the shuttle shaft from anywhere, it's buried between the Clutch housing and the mid case.
To get to it requires splitting the case.
Have you tried turning the input shaft on the transmission while trying to shift the shuttle?

Billssa

Equipment
L-35
Nov 16, 2022
Alton birginia
You will not be able to see the shuttle shaft from anywhere, it's buried between the Clutch housing and the mid case.
To get to it requires splitting the case.
Have you tried turning the input shaft on the transmission while trying to shift the shuttle?
I will give it a shot, splitting that case requires draining tranny and just undoing the bolts might be my only option.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I will give it a shot, splitting that case requires draining tranny and just undoing the bolts might be my only option.
If it worked before you split it it should work now without having to split it!

Billssa

Equipment
L-35
Nov 16, 2022
Alton birginia
If it worked before you split it it should work now without having to split it!
I know, makes no sense to me, followed the problem all the way back to shift shaft. Must of damaged where it connects inside when taking apart the steering column? Only thing I can think is damaged inside when removing the shifter. If I pull up on the shifter with the pin out it gives me room to turn the shaft back and forth. Just don’t know if it is sync. When placing the shaft back down slides into place and won’t let me turn the shaft.

Billssa

Equipment
L-35
Nov 16, 2022
Alton birginia
Update, wolfman what I was doing wrong I think was when I was picking up on the shaft and turning to get it in sync. It would slide down like it was in the groves but after turning it more it seated even better and it shifted. I have to put it all back together but 99 % sure that was it. I appreciate the help so much.