L35 TLB Restoration - Greasing pins is good - (UPDATE Jan 8)

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
The last abused section of my TLB restoration is the front loader.
Worn pins, worn bushings and totally rusted pins are my nemesis.
There's no getting this bucket off any other way than cutting pins - and that I did.
And no way to do it easily. Several hours of sawing, blade changing, and strong language made it successful.

So let that be a lesson to ya! Grease is good for pins and other tractor things and prevents rust!
if I can't get the old pin remnants out and damage from rust is too severe, I will be making some parts too.

Here's some pics of the current situation.

1703761151552.png

1703761215281.png

1703761245559.png

FREE AT LAST!

1703761276036.png

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The last abused section of my TLB restoration is the front loader.
Worn pins, worn bushings and totally rusted pins are my nemesis.
There's no getting this bucket off any other way than cutting pins - and that I did.
And no way to do it easily. Several hours of sawing, blade changing, and strong language made it successful.

So let that be a lesson to ya! Grease is good for pins and other tractor things and prevents rust!
if I can't get the old pin remnants out and damage from rust is too severe, I will be making some parts too.

Here's some pics of the current situation.

View attachment 118969

View attachment 118971

View attachment 118972

FREE AT LAST!

View attachment 118973
Your work makes me even more appreciative of my 2006 L48 TLB,..... still with under 260 hours.
With previous owner, she lived outside for 13 years, but now is babied, and will live inside for as long as I own her.
She is now nearly 18 years old, yet looks almost new.
Yours will soon be similar!:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
I thought y'all might like to see some progress pics of the front bucket work.

I've got the new bosses welded on the bucket LH and RH links and finished the powdercoating.
Yesterday I blasted the ends of the loader in anticipation of removing the old worn bushings, prepping and painting.

I managed to locate all the bushings and pins for the OEM replacements.

My plan is to either build new dogbone links (last pic) and add bushings (OEM does not have bushings), or machine the OEM to add bushings.
Unfortunately the bushings I need are for the FL and are NLA. It seems that the OEM part number is only for the TL720 Loader.

Much to my dismay, I am unable to find any more - even with recommendations from Messicks. Hopefully my friend at the Kubota dealer can find some 30mm ID that I can use.

I am certain there is a 30mm bushing out there of the correct dimensions I can utilize.

In tractor years, I don't think this is that old of a tractor (approx 1999) given all the old iron out there still running but planned obsolescence certainly seems to be designed into things we purchase these days!
What are your thoughts?

Forum size FEL work.JPG

forum size RH LH Links.JPG

forum size dogbone links.JPG

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I thought y'all might like to see some progress pics of the front bucket work.

I've got the new bosses welded on the bucket LH and RH links and finished the powdercoating.
Yesterday I blasted the ends of the loader in anticipation of removing the old worn bushings, prepping and painting.

I managed to locate all the bushings and pins for the OEM replacements.

My plan is to either build new dogbone links (last pic) and add bushings (OEM does not have bushings), or machine the OEM to add bushings.
Unfortunately the bushings I need are for the FL and are NLA. It seems that the OEM part number is only for the TL720 Loader.

Much to my dismay, I am unable to find any more - even with recommendations from Messicks. Hopefully my friend at the Kubota dealer can find some 30mm ID that I can use.

I am certain there is a 30mm bushing out there of the correct dimensions I can utilize.

In tractor years, I don't think this is that old of a tractor (approx 1999) given all the old iron out there still running but planned obsolescence certainly seems to be designed into things we purchase these days!
What are your thoughts?

View attachment 119317

View attachment 119318

View attachment 119319
Wouldn't you suspect that "planned obsolescence" is not nearly as much to blame as previous owner neglect?
If the PO had followed good maintenance practices, the work that you are doing would not be required.
Yours is a very impressive rehab job! :)

Reactions: 1 users

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I agree that it was built adequately but maintained poorly.

30mm pins are common on mini excavators, there are CERTAINLY bushings available.

I would machine the bucket links you have to suit whatever 30mm bushing you choose. I would pick based on what is easiest to find parts for and machine the links to accept that part. 🤷‍♂️

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Thanks for your responses and kind thoughts!

You're both correct - total neglect by the POs whomever they may be.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If I was going to get parts and adjust, I'd be machining the bushings, not the loader arms. Then it if doesn't work out well, it's only the bushings wasted.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
You sir are very skilled!

Nice work so far.

I agree with @PaulL that making/machinig bushings would be the best choice. If you can't find any to buy, it sounds like you have the skill set to make them.

keep us posted (y)

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words!

Yesterday I visited my dealer-friend. We tried a lot of things but came up empty as far as in-stock bushings that would match the pins I have for these dog-bone links (below). So I'll visit a machine shop near me and see about getting some bushings made eventually.

I even wrote Kubota HQ asking about 30mm ID bushings and the answer I received was the "check with your dealer" - so I think I'll call this time. Obviously the person didn't understand my question! I asked about engineering drawing and a possible X-ref to other Kubota machinery with 30mm pins/bushings.

The 2 dog bone links in the picture below are wallowed out and are not made to have bushings. That's a bummer. If I can get bushings (made or otherwise) I can get these links machined to accept bushes and move along!

According to my friend, he's seeing a lot of the new stuff built without bushings. Interesting! Is Kubota trying to save money I wonder?

I can also build new dog-bone links, but the ID won't exactly match the 30mm pin size - however they will be pretty darn close and a lot better than these wallowed out OEM links.

1704447750167.png

Anyway - here is a shot of the original configuration and where everything goes.

Today I will be suggesting very strongly to those pin remnants in the bucket to please leave!
A plasma gun should provide the firepower. A couple of shots to the midsection of the pin and the heat will get things going!

Loader Config.JPG

BTW, if you all ever need to remove frozen pins (God forbid!) and you can't get a cutting disc or band saw blade in between the bosses, I used a reciprocating saw and carbide blades. You almost need one blade per pin. Then you cut and shake the daylights out of your arms!
Use oil and Advil together.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I did bushings last year on my tractor, I recall them being quite a challenge. Lots of heat, and a 8lb sledge won the war.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Latest Update (Jan 8)

Yesterday I got out the plasma torch and removed the bushings from the loader frame, cleaned up the frame and began preparing for paint.

Note that the wrong bushes were utilized at some point in time. The OEM bushings are 1 piece 58mm in length! Hmmm, I wonder if that caused them to wear out being wrong material?

Anyway I used some rotary wire brushes and sanding drum in an air rasp to smooth out the sockets for the new bushings and they came out of just fine.

I've got some welding to do on the left arm on the bottom - a piece of the bottom of the left arm "cover" is MIA! Who knows.....

Next will be the rebuild of the links for the self-leveling system for the bucket in the last pic.

Old Bushings (reduced for forum).JPG

5 Loader Arms cleaning (reduced size).JPG

4 1 Bearing Sockets refinished (reduced size).JPG

12 3 Missing cap.JPG

Kubota Bushing 75582-58790 Length (reduced for email).JPG

Bucket Linkage for Control - Drawing.JPG