L35 no power steering

dtruex

Equipment
L35
Oct 31, 2010
middle TN
I have lost the power steering on my L35. I had a hose leaking on the front end loader so the tractor sat for a couple of weeks. When I replaced the hose and topped off the hydraulic fluid (took around a gallon) the power steering had stopped working. There was one other time months ago when it stopped working for a few minutes then started again but I had about 1000 lbs in the front end loader at the time so I just assumed it was the weight.

I searched the forums and found a similar posting that suggested a leak in the suction pipe, which makes sense but I was unable to find any hoses that look like they might be leaking. Also when I turn the wheels all the way in either direction I can hear the bypass valve open and the engine bog down slightly which would seem to indicate that it's pumping plenty of fluid. Lifting the front wheels off the ground does not make it any easier to turn the steering wheel which doesn't make much sense. Everything else appears to work fine.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don

dtruex

Equipment
L35
Oct 31, 2010
middle TN
Anybody?

All thoughts appreciated. I'm out of ideas short of throwing some very expensive parts at it.

Thanks

SpudHauler

Equipment
RTV 1100 CW-A
Sep 8, 2010
Canada
How about the hydraulic filters, when were they changed last? Perhaps one is plugged up.
Messick's site shows where they are on the lower part of this service page.
http://www.messicks.com/blog/category/Kubota-L-Series.aspx

Probably loose most of the fluid, but if you were fast you could save some. But then again, if the filters are that bad, perhaps it time to change the fluid too.

dtruex

Equipment
L35
Oct 31, 2010
middle TN
Brian,

Thanks for the reply. I changed the hydraulic filter a few months ago. You can spin it off and the new one on without loosing much fluid.

Theekillerbee

Jun 28, 2009
Pleasant View UT, USA
Not likely, but have you checked to see if your cylinder is vapor locked? In my experience most hydraulics are self bleeding. Might be worth checking hose ends to see if fluid is getting to the ram. You won't need to crack them much, lots of pressure in there! Don't put your hand/arm next to the hose fitting though....hydraulic oil in the blood is kinda bad.

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Actually.... oil in the blood stream hurts like hell:eek: Been there and done that... NOT AGAIN in this life time:eek:.... Butch

dtruex

Equipment
L35
Oct 31, 2010
middle TN
Good idea. I'll poke around this weekend and see if I can figure out where the fluid is and isn't going.

You guys sure live in some picturesque sounding places, Pleasant View, Sun Rise......

Thanks

Don

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
dtruex, I have an L35 and so far the power steering works all the time. It does complain when I have the front bucket fully loaded with dirt or gravel. Please keep us posted - I'm very interested to find out what the problem was. Good Luck!

dtruex

Equipment
L35
Oct 31, 2010
middle TN
I disconnected the steering controller from the bottom of the steering column and it still took two hands to turn the steering wheel even though it wasn't attached to anything. The bearing in the bottom of the steering column had rusted. I cleaned and lubed it and everything is working fine now. That explains why the hydraulics sounded like they were working, because the were.

Thanks to all for your help.

Attachments

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
congratulations on finding and fixing the problem and most of all, thank you for posting the follow up :D

pat331

Equipment
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
dtruex, congratulations on finding and fixing your problem. And thanks for posting the pictures. I'll check there first if mine ever acts that way. By the way, what make you check there?

dtruex

Equipment
L35
Oct 31, 2010
middle TN
dtruex, congratulations on finding and fixing your problem. And thanks for posting the pictures. I'll check there first if mine ever acts that way. By the way, what make you check there?
I was going after the controller. It wasn't until after I disconnected the controller and realized that I still couldn't turn the wheel that I started looking at the column.

pat331

Equipment
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Thanks. I would have pulled my hair out on that one and not thought to look at that. I guess that is a good reason to keep these Orange Beasts inside.