L35 Maint question (s)

misterb

Equipment
L 35 TLB
Mar 22, 2010
Powassan, Ontario
I started a thread in "Tractor & Implement Operating" called "took the plunge". I have had the tractor for a few days now and have started to resolve some of the maint issues with it.

I have changed the engine oil/filter, the hydraulic oil/filter and the fuel filter.

Next I want to change the front axle lube. The dealer sold me extra hydraulic oil and assured me that that was good for the front axle. I have ordered an operating manual but won't have it for a week or so. So, I have a few questions for those that may be more familiar with this machine and/or have access to the manual, namely:
- what oil/fluid should be used in the front axle? (my sense is to go with 80/90 gear oil)
- how do I establish the correct level? (there are two plugs on the main housing, a large one which I assume is where the oil goes in and another, smaller one, on the other side, at a little lower level, which I assume is the level)
- what is the capacity of the front axle?

Hope someone can help!!
Best regards
db

misterb

Equipment
L 35 TLB
Mar 22, 2010
Powassan, Ontario
I see there are lots of lookers but no one has yet offered any feedback.

I want to use the tractor and it seems that the axle/diff is low on oil. Appreciate if someone could confirm how to establish the proper level. I have some gear lube here and will top up now and worry about changing out all the fluid at another time.

best regards on Easter Sunday

db

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Not really sure about this model. My L 3000 holds around 6.5 qts. The fill port plug on mine is also a dip stick. I would say if yours isn't like that it will have a small plug to remove about half way up on the case that will act as a level port. I used the same oil that the transmission uses in mine. It lists that trans oil or gear oil can be used for this location. I used the tranny oil just where I wouldn't have to keep another oil around. I hope this helps.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Hey misterb,

I'll go over to the shop and find my owner's manual, take it to work tomorrow, make a pdf of the page on the front axle, and post it here on OTT. Like SDV said, I used 80W/90 in mine. I'll also post the capacity of the front axle. Got any other questions while I'm looking?

misterb

Equipment
L 35 TLB
Mar 22, 2010
Powassan, Ontario
Hey misterb,

I'll go over to the shop and find my owner's manual, take it to work tomorrow, make a pdf of the page on the front axle, and post it here on OTT. Like SDV said, I used 80W/90 in mine. I'll also post the capacity of the front axle. Got any other questions while I'm looking?
Thanks so much, I really appreciate the effort. Looks like mine has gear lube in it, but the level seems quite low. Proper oil level in the front end is my most pressing problem, but I also had posted a question about the action of the glow plug circuit/light.
Hope you had a great Easter dinner, we were into turkey, duck, ham topped off with lemon pie!!!

best regards
db

pat331

Equipment
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Sorry, missed the question on the glow plug. I'll go back and look. Sounds like you had a wonderful Easter dinner, especially the lemon pie! Below is the directions for changing the oil on the front end of an L35. Topping off the fluid level is the same. I also attached a spec sheet on the various capacities and the spec sheet for the lubricants. As you'll see, it allows use of either 80 - 90 wt. oil as well as Kubota UDT or Super UDT oil. Capacity of the front end is 5.8 qts. %$#&*^$ For some reason, I can't upload a .pdf file. In case I can't get it done, the drain plug is at the bottom of both axle cases, the fill plug is on the left front as you are looking at the tractor, and the check plug is on the right front.

misterb

Equipment
L 35 TLB
Mar 22, 2010
Powassan, Ontario
It allows use of either 80 - 90 wt. oil as well as Kubota UDT or Super UDT oil. Capacity of the front end is 5.8 qts. The drain plug is at the bottom of both axle cases, the fill plug is on the left front as you are looking at the tractor, and the check plug is on the right front.
Thanks Pat, you get up early!!!! Rain here today but supposed to clear up as the day wears on. I will change it out for gear oil, and if no leaks or creaks show up over the next little while, I think I will change it over to a synthetic.

What a great and supportive forum!!!!!!

Thanks and best regards to all my gentle colleagues in orange appreciation!

misterb

Equipment
L 35 TLB
Mar 22, 2010
Powassan, Ontario
Well I went to town today and got some gear lube, got home and drained the old stuff and topped up with new. Noticed a pretty good drip from the L front outer axle seal. At least that explains where most of the old oil went.
Got it jacked up now and going out to pull it apart. From looking at the parts book, it looks like it's just the seal, so providing the bearings are OK, should be fairly straightforward. ????

If anyone has done this operation before, pls chime in with any gems of info you might have.

regards

db

pat331

Equipment
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Yes, I have, twice. Once on my own and once by the good folks at Kubota. When I did it myself, I think I got one of the seals in upside-down and it leaked. The problem for me is that I don't have a press. I made up a home-made process using a c-clamp or two and needed 4 hands to get it done. The next time I just took off the assembly just outside the fill plug and took it to the Kubota folks and they fixed it for me for either $100 - $150. Can't remember the exact amount. Anyway, if hasn't leaked since and that has been over two years ago.

irwin

Equipment
L35 TLB, NH L555 Skid Steer
Apr 3, 2010
United States
I have a L35 and have done the right side upper seal. It's marked A in the attached diagram..is this the seal? if it is you'll need to buy the cap seal (C) also. You'll need a good set of snap ring pliers..

Attachments

misterb

Equipment
L 35 TLB
Mar 22, 2010
Powassan, Ontario
I have a L35 and have done the right side upper seal. It's marked A in the attached diagram..is this the seal? if it is you'll need to buy the cap seal (C) also. You'll need a good set of snap ring pliers..
Thanks for the great diagram! No, it is B on the diagram. Looks like a little easier task than A. There is a little clip/collar shown in the parts book which may be a little tricky. I will get it apart in the morning and order the parts on my way through town on wednesday.

Thanks again and best regards

db

misterb

Equipment
L 35 TLB
Mar 22, 2010
Powassan, Ontario
Bout time to update and close off this thread.
Well getting that seal proved a little more difficult than planned. I ordered it over 2 weeks ago and they assured me it was in stock in Markam (near Toronto and usually overnight by Purolator to here). After 4 days I inquired and was informed that my package was in Vancouver! Took another 8 days to get it to me from there, so just got the parts on monday. I had also ordered bushings for the steering bellcrank and cylinder as these were quite loose. I spent over a day fighting with getting the pin out of the bellcrank, had almost given up when I got enough heat and pressure on it to make it let go. Got the steering back together with a new tie rod end and every thing nice and tight.

I thought the seal would be an easy job so had left it for last. Not so, the housing came off easy enough but found all kinds of bearing bones on the inside. Managed to get replacement bearing from Canada Bearings and after another day got that back together as well. Adjusted the toe in and now back on the road again.

Still want to rebush the backhoe, replace all the cooling rubber parts, change a couple of hydraulic lines and sort out the glowplug controller, but I can use it for a few days now to do some pent up landscaping tasks.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for help with specs, drawings and advice, I really do appreciate your effort.

Best regards and thanks again to all my gentle colleagues in orange.
db