L35 clunking sound

robp645

Equipment
L35
Jan 24, 2020
mahopac ny
My 1998 Kubota L35 is making a clunking sound in the rear of it while driving it. It used to make a noise once in a while, now it's pretty constant. Any ideas on what it can be?

robp645

Equipment
L35
Jan 24, 2020
mahopac ny
I did. They are tight. My rims are getting pretty rusty though. Poor design, the water just sits in the rim. I've been covering all 4 tires for the last few years because of the sun damage.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I did. They are tight. My rims are getting pretty rusty though. Poor design, the water just sits in the rim. I've been covering all 4 tires for the last few years because of the sun damage.
Building covered storage can be costly, but IMHO it is worth the cost.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Making a video and audio of the clunking will help, make the video then post it on YouTube and give us a link to see it.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Hello - yes a video and sound!

Does sound change with speed? Does sound change with gear selection?

If not lug nuts, something stuck around the wheels/axles?
Is a wheel physically broken/separating around the hub portion (lug nut area) or rim portion?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The video I can do. Posting it on Youtoob might be over my head. I'm not too computer savvy.
Email me the video
NIW@orangetractortalks (dot) com
change the (dot) to .

Reactions: 1 user

robp645

Equipment
L35
Jan 24, 2020
mahopac ny
We're having a lot of rain in NY, so I'll try to do the video on Tuesday. Thanks for all of the responses.

robp645

Equipment
L35
Jan 24, 2020
mahopac ny
Ok, we put all 4 wheels in the air, put it in forward and reverse, no sounds. We tried locking one rear wheel up at a time, no noise. We put the machine on the ground and moved it around, and it made the clunking sound. If you were in the right side, it sounded like it was on that side. Same with the left side. I did notice some rear end fluid weeped onto the inside of the rims. There was more on the right side. You couldn't hear the sound on the video.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
No other thoughts?
Hmmm ok ill think out loud and see what others may say:
First i assume hydraulic fluid is fairly new and at the proper level.
Second i also assume you listened all around the machine trying to isolate where sound was coming from. (I believe you believe it is definately from rear)

If there's hyd oil inside the hubs, then i suppose the hub seals are leaking. (Did you all remove the wheels and see?)

Now: Could the seals be leaking because bearings or bushings are bad and allowing the axles to move too much?
Perhaps that would account for the clunking when loaded but no clunking when unloaded

robp645

Equipment
L35
Jan 24, 2020
mahopac ny
Hi Nick, yes the fluid is fresh, and up to the line. The sound is def coming from the rear. I hear it on both sides. The machine has about 600 hours, it was used by a lawn sprinkler company. I've had it for 4 or 5 years. I cant take the rear wheels off I just had 3 surgeries in the last few months. I'll see if I can get someone to give me a hand, and take them off.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Hi Nick, yes the fluid is fresh, and up to the line. The sound is def coming from the rear. I hear it on both sides. The machine has about 600 hours, it was used by a lawn sprinkler company. I've had it for 4 or 5 years. I cant take the rear wheels off I just had 3 surgeries in the last few months. I'll see if I can get someone to give me a hand, and take them off.
You dont need to get the tractor very high to remove the wheels but it is truly a wrestling match so take care of yourself. Mine are liquid filled making them much more fun.

Also be careful not to ruin the lug threads dragging the heavy wheel over them. Not expensive but a nusance !

2zl

Equipment
Kubota l48
Dec 13, 2019
Perce,Quebec,Canada
I had a slight clunking noise on my l48 and it was the front axle loose. I tighten the adjustment bolt and it's been all good since.

robp645

Equipment
L35
Jan 24, 2020
mahopac ny
Well, I finally got to do the front axle. It seems to have cured the clunking sound. 1 side showed 1lb to lift, the other was 8lb. I did wind up bottoming out the bolt, but it's at about 4lbs per side. Thanks for the diagram and the suggestion.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
That's a good point @2zl

@robp645 I believe this is what he's referring to.
The manual provides a way to check this.

View attachment 107684

View attachment 107683
You know, I had to do a double take at your picture because I recently adjusted my front axle pivot and that’s not the method I had used. I was wondering where I got the method I used and it’s from the tractor operating manual I have. I also have the wsm and it mirrors your picture. So my question is which is the better of the 2 adjustment methods?

Attachments

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
You know, I had to do a double take at your picture because I recently adjusted my front axle pivot and that’s not the method I had used. I was wondering where I got the method I used and it’s from the tractor operating manual I have. I also have the wsm and it mirrors your picture. So my question is which is the better of the 2 adjustment methods?
Another good point - and one I can only guess...

Using the scale is perhaps the most accurate if indeed the engineering design includes the given weight measurements as some sort of life expectancy.

Anyone??