L35/BT900 boom cylinder hose rupture

2grit

Equipment
L35,U45
Apr 24, 2011
northeast
Would love some input from those of you who have experienced the hydraulic hose rupturing on the boom of the backhoe and what it entails to replace. It appears that I should lower the boom all the way to the ground, remove the higher of the 2 cylinder pins, retract the cylinder under power, and hopefully I can get to the hose fittings. I'm hoping I don't need to detach the boom from the main frame in order to get clearance. I will have the excavator here for lifting purposes or whatever is needed. Any input/shortcuts are much appreciated

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I just rebuilt that piston because of a leak, and replaced the hose going to it just because I was in there and it's a pain in the butt to get to. Go about it exactly how you described, that's how I did it and had no problems. I did swing the boom off to the left side of the machine for additional work space.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
It has been a long time since I owned L-35s but I seem to recall doing this. We turned it to the side as L-35 suggested, fastened the new hose to the old hose and pulled the new hose with the old hose. I seem to recall being able to connect them together with the hose fittings. I might be remembering another machine but that's what "maturity" will do for you.

2grit

Equipment
L35,U45
Apr 24, 2011
northeast
The cylinder came out of the boom easier than I expected. That's always a good thing. I figured putting the cylinder back would be the real headache. Not at all. For being such an inaccessible hose to replace, it was easy.