L35 backhoe surgury

builder412

Equipment
Kubota L35
Nov 24, 2014
Irmo, SC
I managed to find a decent L35 with fel but the backhoe had been removed. A Woods BH80X has made an appearance and an offer that is going to be hard to resist. My question is has anyone ever adapted this backhoe to this tractor? I asked Woods if they sold a subframe for it and they said no. The dealer was of no use at all because I wasn't buying it from them (and I never will buy anything from them with that attitude). The tractor still has the subframe and I'm pretty good at putting square pegs in round holes but this is new to me. Any thoughts?

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Seems like a no brainer, especially since the tractor side of the subframe is already taken care of. Should be easy enough to come up with something on the BH side of it. Post pics of the job if you can.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Just make every weldment twice as beefy as you think you need, and don't skimp on the welding rod -- it is really amazing what hydraulics can tear up!!

builder412

Equipment
Kubota L35
Nov 24, 2014
Irmo, SC
Thanks for the input, I believe it's going to be a fun project. Going to pick up the hoe this weekend. I'll post picks as I go along.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
What gpreuss said...

I have marveled at the successive layers welded into the frame around the pivot point on most backhoes, like the Case 540. Its a thing of beauty and its there for a reason.

TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!!!!!! WE WANNA SEE TOO!

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Yeah, but there are tricks to layering welding and you need to know them. I suggest YouTube and a site called "Weldingtipsandtricks", Jodi knows what he's doing. You can also see them on Weldingtipsandtricks.com.

Properly welded metals will always fail at the base metal, not the weld, so choosing your base metal parts is very critical to success.

builder412

Equipment
Kubota L35
Nov 24, 2014
Irmo, SC
I got the backhoe home Saturday and unloaded Sunday. Now, all I need is some time to get this thing hooked up. I still think it was a good deal, $2500 for a backhoe that still has the plastic on the seat.

builder412

Equipment
Kubota L35
Nov 24, 2014
Irmo, SC
Yeah, but there are tricks to layering welding and you need to know them. I suggest YouTube and a site called "Weldingtipsandtricks", Jodi knows what he's doing. You can also see them on Weldingtipsandtricks.com.

Properly welded metals will always fail at the base metal, not the weld, so choosing your base metal parts is very critical to success.
Thanks for the tip. I'm a pretty good welder but like everything, I'm always open for advice or tips to make things work better. Cool videos.

builder412

Equipment
Kubota L35
Nov 24, 2014
Irmo, SC
Success!!!! I finished adapting the backhoe to the tractor, welded it up and have actually dug a hole. I took a few pictures during the process and had the help of a really good machine shop to make some new pins. I'll post them tomorrow. Thanks for the input and encouragement.:D