L345DT low oil pressure/pan removal help

Jok

Equipment
L345DT
May 26, 2023
Australia
One simple place you may look is the relief valve located in the oil filter housing. Not a place that you see problems very often but it does happen.
I checked that early on by removing it measuring spring pressure with kitchen scales and face diameter with calipers. Theoretically it opens around 65-75psi.

Edit: I just rigged up my compressor to test the oil sensor. It breaks the circuit at around 15psi

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I checked that early on by removing it measuring spring pressure with kitchen scales and face diameter with calipers. Theoretically it opens around 65-75psi.

Edit: I just rigged up my compressor to test the oil sensor. It breaks the circuit at around 15psi
That sounds ok for the low, was the light on when it ran?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea probably a bad sensor, put a mechanical on it and find out what it's really doing.

Jok

Equipment
L345DT
May 26, 2023
Australia
Yea probably a bad sensor, put a mechanical on it and find out what it's really doing.
There's been a development. I finished welding up the sump (not a fun job), installed it and the gear cover. Mate told me I needed to prime the oil pump so I was looking for a was to back fill it with oil and found a random big bolt on front of gear cover around where the oil gallery o-rings are. I took it off and to my surprise it's another PRV, and it's missing the ball bearing. I thought PRV early on and checked the one by the oil filter, I didn't know there was two of em. I'll find out Monday if it fixes the issue Monday

Reactions: 1 users

Jok

Equipment
L345DT
May 26, 2023
Australia
I got 21psi at idle and 50 at mid rpm now that ball is in. I looked in valve cover and can't see evidence of much oil coming up, how would I tell if enough is at top end?

Also there is a lot of blow by coming out the valve Cover.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I got 21psi at idle and 50 at mid rpm now that ball is in. I looked in valve cover and can't see evidence of much oil coming up, how would I tell if enough is at top end?

Also there is a lot of blow by coming out the valve Cover.
Very little oil goes to the top end so (EDIT DON"T) worry about that.

Blow by is rings not oil related

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user