L3450 PTO clutch (again)

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
I am back, with the same problem. (See thread with similar title)
First to back track. I eventually got the loader frame moved out of the way, and I adjusted the three bolts, as per the manual.
Put it all back together and the PTO shifted without grinding, no implements attached.

Later, with the snow blower attached, sometimes it would grind, seemed to be after the tractor was warmed up. I noticed that even with the pedal down the PTO shaft would slowly turn.

Anyway this is the summer, I have the bush hog attached. It grinds when I engage the PTO. After I used it for awhile I disengaged it and went for a coffee. Came back and i could not get the PTO engaged, eventually I forced it.

Is there any way to get more travel, for the second stage, from the clutch pedal?

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
While the dual clutch does have some separate adjustment, the travel disk wears quicker than the pto disk. There's usually enough adjustment to restore pto disengagement for a while, but there is very little margin left. You might get a bit of relief by reducing free play even further, but the travel disk may start slipping. The tractor really needs a new travel disk to be cured.

Avoid forcing the pto into engagement. It's much easier on everything (including the checkbook) to shut off the engine, engage the pto lever and start back up with pto already engaged.

Last edited:

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
Great idea about engaging the PTO then start the tractor. I had thought of that, but figured with the bush hog, there would be too much load for the starter to turn those blades as well as the engine.
Thinking about it after your post, I could depress the clutch while I turn the starter that should take most or even all of the load off the starter.

I did some modifications to the foot plate, where the clutch pedal was being stopped by the the foot plate support. I cut a recess in the support bracket and then welded some reinforcement under and around it to allow the pedal to be depressed about a further 1 inch. The pedal now stops at the intended stop.

I like your idea, I shall use it. Thanks.
Boyde

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm think the "proper" fix at this point is to split it and put a new clutch in it. ;)

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
I tried out the modification I made, with the tractor running, with the extra 1" of pedal travel the PTO engaged without grinding.

Do not know how long that will last.
I still like the idae of engaging the PTO before starting the tractor.

I want to put off splitting the tracter as long as possible. I have a loader and a cab on this thing, and it will be at least a days work just to get the cab off, then the loader (need to install quick connects). Complicated.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Boyde

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
No doubt a cab really lengthens a split job. It's ok to take a few more laps around the denial track - everyone with a worn clutch does it as long as possible. Take care, Dick B

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
Well, the PTO engaged smoothly the first time with teh bush hog.
After mowing for about an hour I shut down for a break. Started her up and tried to engage the PTO, grinding, not bad she did slip in.

Next time I pushed the clutch pedal to the stop, engaged the PTO, then started the tractor. Not noticeable load on the starter.

So my pattern will be, on a cold engine, I can engage the PTO while running, with a warm engine I must shut off, engage PTO then restart.

Now I must start to plan a tractor split, I love a challenge.
Boyde

bcolwell

Equipment
L3450
Oct 7, 2014
Markdale, Ontario
Re: L3450 PTO clutch solution

Well, I finally got around to trying an idea I have had for fixing my PTO clutch issue. The solution is to adjust the instructions in the shop manual. The manual says when adjusting the second stage to adjust the three bolts just inside the flywheel housing through the little hole on the right side. The manual says to turn the bolts in until they touch, then back them out 3/4 of a turn.

I have done that and i get the little grinding when shifting into gear. This time I figured what the heck, lets try only 1/2 turn. Lo and behold no more grinding, everything else works fine. (of course time will tell)

In my case this is not an easy task, to reach that hole, I have to remove the loader, but since I have a cap, the hydraulic control has to be disconnected from the loader, because it is inside the cap. Then the floor of the cap has to come off, then the sub frame has to come off. I am getting faster at removing all this, hopefully this will be the last time in my life (I am 70, my financial planner only gives me 20 more years before my money runs out and he will push me off a bridge).

So if anybody else has this issue, try the 1/2 turn before splitting the tractor and replacing the clutches.
Boyde