L3410 cab ideas

Brendawg82

Equipment
KUBOTA L3410HST
Jan 20, 2016
Coalville
I just bought an 01 L3410 and am thinking long term it would be nice to have a cab. After some research it looks like most after markets no longer make one that would fit my tractor. I've read several posts where people have made their own. I don't have a work shop to do all that work or else I might entertain the idea. Also I don't want one of the vinyl / plastic covers I've seen on ebay. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
If you Google "cab for kubota L4300" you'll get quite a few hits. Most are partially or all vinyl. Some have real glass windshields which would be a minimum requirement for me. There may be some hard-sided cabs from Curtis or someone.

I can tell you from experience that building a metal and glass cab takes more time than I estimated. Mine took at least 150 hours. The combination of getting something the size and shape I wanted and not wanting to spend lots of money dictated a DIY cab for me.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Of all the delaers I called, only one could geta Curtis Hard-side... for a poultry $5000. When I payed 10,500 for the tractor and didnt assume spending %50 more for a cab. Mines an 04 and cabs have long been discontinued. Im fabbing my own.

If you have no access to welders and grinders you could build a wood cab. Ive seen them on google, and was only impressed with one.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
..................If you have no access to welders and grinders you could build a wood cab...............
If you do build a wood cab and later decide to sell the tractor, would it be your responsibilty or the buyer's to pay for the termite inspection:D

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
If you do build a wood cab and later decide to sell the tractor, would it be your responsibilty or the buyer's to pay for the termite inspection:D
There are no termites in Northern Michigan so I don't worry about that.:rolleyes: Who pays for the rust inspection when you sell a steel cab?:eek:

Brendawg82

Equipment
KUBOTA L3410HST
Jan 20, 2016
Coalville
I'm only into the tractor for 10k as well and spending 5k on a cab seems a bit much. My woodworking skills are much better the metal fab. Never thought of wood but I guesse worth looking into. Ever run into used cabs for sale? I saw a used curtis can for a L35 at my local dealer for 1400.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I'm only into the tractor for 10k as well and spending 5k on a cab seems a bit much. My woodworking skills are much better the metal fab. Never thought of wood but I guesse worth looking into. Ever run into used cabs for sale? I saw a used curtis can for a L35 at my local dealer for 1400.
If you decide to build one with wood, I coated mine with epoxy to make it waterproof and provide a harder more durable surface. You could also put a layer of fiberglass cloth in the epoxy to provide an even more surface protection. I enjoy woodworking and have a well stocked workshop, and probably used most of my tools by the time I was done. However, I think you could do it with just a table saw and hand tools if you had too. At 10 F you really don't care if it is wood, paper, canvas, or steel as long as it keeps out the cold and snow and keeps in the heat.

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
I built a wooden cab for my bx24. I ripped 2x4's down to 1 1/2" square for the framework. I used 1/4" sanded plywood for the skin. (If I had it to do over I would use 1/4" luan). I used 30 mil vynil for the Windows. Total cost was about $150. The front and rear Windows I put on with industrial self adhesive Velcro, so I can remove them in the summer. I can also pull the door hinge pins and remove the doors. It's not something I'm going to take to the fair, but it works great for me. Keeps me nice and dry when I'm plowing snow. I got a little 12 volt heater from harbor freight for $9 and put it in and it keeps it nice and comfortable.
This is an unfinished photo.

Attachments