L3400- pressure boost

Syoung

Equipment
L3400
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, ny, usa
Has anyone ever boost the pressure for the front end loader on a L3400 tractor with gear shift? How did you do it? Can you explain the details?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I've often thought the same question about my loader. But every time I have been around a hot rod hyd system it blew itself apart or completely broke the machine or implement. Just from your question I'm thinking you have ran into a spot where a little more lift power would have made the difference in it doing or not doing a certain task. Been there many times myself.

After a total destruction of a backhoe attachment myself caused by increased/overpowering the hyd system I would leave it where it is. JMHO
My mistake cost me over $6k to replace the BH.

Txcowboy13

Equipment
L-4400 with LA 703 FEL, 6' Bushhog, disc, roll hipper
Jun 22, 2013
Nederland, Texas, US
I have a L-4400 and the FEL lifting capacity seem low when I purchase my tractor used. I'm sure that your L-3400 is setup the same way. A quick coupler and reducer to screw the gauge cost about $ 40-50, I already had the guage, so it was worth every penny for the results.
So, I did a little research and found on Tractorbynet.com, a forum on how to increase the Hydraulic pressure setting by replacing the manufacture washers with a larger one and checking your pressure increase by placing a psi guage on your FEL quick coupler located above the control handle. I had to disconnect the Hydro. hose going to the FEL, crank the tractor and simulate the bucket roll to view the operating psi 2495. It was simple and I increased the psi from 2495 psi to 2630 psi. This setting was base on the manufactor's max. setting psi for this model. Make sure you find out what the psi setting is for the L-3400. I bought a quick coupler fitting at the dealer and asked what the max setting was for my Hyd. relief system, went to the the local hardware store and bought a 5 cent flat washer about the size of a dime, alittle smaller and about a 16th in thickness.The shime washer that are in the pressure relief block are 2 stainless thin washers.The psi block is located below the floor panel next to the hydro. filter. There is a plug in the bottom that will have to be removed, it has a spring and maybe a ball bearing, along with the washers. Remember that I set my psi to whatever the max. operating psi was set by the manufacter and do not exceed that setting. The relief valve is design to relieve at the factory setting, but it's best not to pop off at high psi. I have been operating my orange BeBe for some time now with this setting and feel very please with the way it operates now, alot more lifting capacity. On that web site they had picture and detail instructions on how to increase the psi. I didn't use the shop vac and had little Hydr. oil leak out. Just have your washer ready and remove the two and put the one you bought in. Check your psi on the guage, hopefully it will be close enough to the max setting. It has worked for me and others that are satisfied, hope that this has helped answer your problem.

Last edited:

Txcowboy13

Equipment
L-4400 with LA 703 FEL, 6' Bushhog, disc, roll hipper
Jun 22, 2013
Nederland, Texas, US
Did the research for you and went to Tractorbynet.com and found the thread written by " Dex3361" The search is titled Front End Loader Pressure check. Full details on how to increase the Psi, saw a thread that indicated 2347 Psi for the L-3400. Don't take it to the bank,check with the dealer and find what the setting can be set at. He has picture and detail instructions, took me about 20 minutes to set everything up, but was very easy to do. make sure you set it up on concrete or place a tarp underneath in case , washer etc, fall out. don't want to lose them. Good Luck and enjoy the power !!!!!