L3400 DT Snapping/Knocking noise

Bug-O-1

Equipment
Fransgaurd-farming winch
Aug 19, 2012
Liberty Maine
Lately I've been hearing a snapping/ knocking noise on my (07) L3400 DT with 600+ hrs. Sounds like it's coming from the left rear side, but it's not constant, so it's hard to pin point the noise, it sounds like a hammer tapping on the wheel when it does it. I don't know if the diff. lock is making that noise or not or even if a manual transmission will make that kind of sound, if it could, why doesn't it make that snapping sound steady? I have noticed that the diff. lock petal will squash down 1/4" more at times, and yes I have checked the lug nuts.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Driving straight, turning, in 4wd or 2wd?
Pulling a load or just driving around. This will help the gurus figure out what is up.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Jack it up and spin the wheel, sounds like brakes or wheel bearing.
Look for cracks around the wheel lug nuts too. ;)

Bug-O-1

Equipment
Fransgaurd-farming winch
Aug 19, 2012
Liberty Maine
Jack it up and spin the wheel, sounds like brakes or wheel bearing.
Look for cracks around the wheel lug nuts too. ;)
Hey, that's a couple good suggestions, thanks, bearings do make that kind of noise, some times bearing noise is constant, and sometimes it's not, but is it possible for a wheel bearing to wear out at only 600 hrs.? Maybe todays tractors are made to work in the hay field only, and not in the woods dragging out trees.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it is a bearing failure it's a fluke, but then again logging is tough on tractors and tractor parts! ;)

Bug-O-1

Equipment
Fransgaurd-farming winch
Aug 19, 2012
Liberty Maine
Driving straight, turning, in 4wd or 2wd?
Pulling a load or just driving around. This will help the gurus figure out what is up.
I have my tractor in 4wd most of the time, but the snapping noise sounds like it's from the left rear side, I notice the sound most when I go in reverse a couple times, a few feet, with the diff locked in, trying to scoop up some dirt in the bucket, while I have a log hooked on the tractor winch, or backing up to push a log over, but it's not constant, yet. PS, sometimes I scoop some dirt up to help keep the front end down and give traction to the front wheels while hauling out a log, if not dirt, a few sticks of wood works good.