L3301 will not start = help needed

Forester45

Equipment
L3301DT
Sep 22, 2016
Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
So I went out this morning and jumped on the L3301 to get all of by brush hogging done. No issues and worked it for about 2 - 3 hours. Parked it in the shade to go eat lunch. Came back in about 45 minutes and jumped on it and turned the key - everything normal until I turned it to start - very faint click but that is all. You can hear the fuel pump pumping but it will not do anything but faint click. Light on the battery is green but I hooked up jumpers and same thing. Brought the other tractor out and moved it a little - checked all of the fuses - all looked good.
It is the geared version. No codes and everything looks as usual. Any ideas?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Clean the terminals on the battery as well as the inside of the connectors. Replace and tighten securely. Follow the ground cable to where it attaches to the tractor or frame. Ensure that connection is clean and secure. I like to start with the obvious stuff. A poor connection can allow enough current to pass to make all indicators look normal. The starter takes far more current and a dirty or poor connection can cause significant voltage drop.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Hold the key to start.

while holding it in start, wiggle the pto lever. No start?

Continue to hold the key to start, then wiggle the range shift lever (hi-low). Does it start?

If neither of those two do anything you have a problem in the electrical system that will require more thought and possibly thorough diagnosing.

Forester45

Equipment
L3301DT
Sep 22, 2016
Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Thanks for the replies - tried all of them and finally put my glasses on and found that a small black wire had been pulled out of the started by something - 2 hours and some curse words and once I plugged it back in started like a charm. Thank you!