L3301 P0101 error code

Dirtboi55

Equipment
Kubota L3301 Hst
Jan 26, 2020
Tijeras,New Mexico
Hello All,

I have a 2017 L3301 HST and I am getting P0101 code. when this unit warms up for 10 minutes or so, it begins to put out a lot of smoke from the exhaust and run terrible. It seems like the fuel/air mixture is running Very Rich after warm up.
The manual says that P0101 is Intake air volume Low. It has a brand new air filter element. Does this machine have a separate " intake air volume sensor, or does it measure the air volume through the MAF sensor?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
L3301 ain't got no turbo. But it does have an air filter. Start there. If filter is not plugged or restricted, check the air box itself for a mouse or bird or whatever. I found one at one point, rodent of some sorts maybe a squirrel or whatever got into it, ate through the air filters and FILLED the entire air intake all the way up into the cylinder head with meow mix. Needless to say the owner did not believe me.

If nothing obvious, you may be better having a shop look at it-preferably one that has the diagmaster software (dealer). Be nice if the dealer also had a pto dyno but it may not be totally required in this case.

Dirtboi55

Equipment
Kubota L3301 Hst
Jan 26, 2020
Tijeras,New Mexico
Thanks for the quick reply Dave. This tractor does not have a turbo charger.

So as an update, I had a brand new MAF sensor on hand. I replaced the MAF sensor just now, buttoned it up and ran it again. It did exactly the same thing. The very moment that the engine reached normal operating temperature, the engine starts to spit and sputter, and spewing large amounts of smoke from the exhaust.

So this time I shut it off, disconnected the water temp sensor real quick and plugged a spare water temp sensor "open to the atmosphere" ( to simulate a cold engine) I immediately restarted the engine and it ran just fine " no more smoke, No more sputtering). I ran it at PTO speed for almost 30 minutes with no problem. So this issue seems to only happen when the engine reaches operating temperature.

I don't know much about diesels, but it's almost like, when it's cold the computer is running in "open loop" and as soon as it warms up the computer thinks the fuel air mixture is too lean so it dumps the fuel in as fast as it can.

I am not seeing an O2 sensor, so how does this ECM know when it has the proper fuel/air mixture.

Dirtboi55

Equipment
Kubota L3301 Hst
Jan 26, 2020
Tijeras,New Mexico
Hi lugbolt,

I was thinking something similar, so I pulled all the breather pipe all the way back to the throttle body, and looked down into the intake manifold with a flash light. Then I ran it completely without an air cleaner and it failed as soon as it warmed up, ( see reply I left for Dave)

so I'm wondering now, Every time I see this throttle body, the butterfly is wide open. I have not powered up this unit while apart to see if the butterfly moves to the closed position. If the butterfly stays wide open all the time ( simulating full throttle) maybe thats where my problem is.

Dirtboi55

Equipment
Kubota L3301 Hst
Jan 26, 2020
Tijeras,New Mexico
So I'm thinking after reading some of the other posts on here that the error code P0101 is an old code that is still in the system, and it has nothing to do with my issue. because someone on here said that engine codes are cleared by turning the key off and on, but the trouble code still remains in the system until it is cleared using the diagnostic software. And this code has been flashing in the hour meter LCD since the first time I started it.

I have not received any separate Check Engine light at all.

Dirtboi55

Equipment
Kubota L3301 Hst
Jan 26, 2020
Tijeras,New Mexico
Does anyone own, or has anyone used a Kubota Diagnostic laptop/Tool. I can pick this one up on eBay for 1300 bucks. But before I buy it I was hoping someone could tell me whether or not it will work on the Kubota L3301 HST (D1803-CR-EF06) ECMs

KUBOTA / TAKEUCHI DIAGNOSTIC SOLUTION WITH PYTHON 2019 (LAPTOP INCL.)

Anawan

Equipment
L3901
Jul 28, 2022
Colorado
Hello All,

I have a 2017 L3301 HST and I am getting P0101 code. when this unit warms up for 10 minutes or so, it begins to put out a lot of smoke from the exhaust and run terrible. It seems like the fuel/air mixture is running Very Rich after warm up.
The manual says that P0101 is Intake air volume Low. It has a brand new air filter element. Does this machine have a separate " intake air volume sensor, or does it measure the air volume through the MAF sensor?
I had the P0101 error with no issues at all. I wanted to clear it once to see if it reoccurs. Finally found the correct solution for my 3901. It works, so I figured i would post it for others:

(Error Information Clear Mode)
1. While holding down both DPF INHIBT switch and parked regeneration switch, turn key switch "ON" or "START" position.
2. Mode selection display is indicated on the LCD.
3. Press the parked regeneration switch and the mode indication on the LCD is changed.
4. If "b" is indicated on the LCD, press the parked regeneration switch for more than 2 seconds.
5. Error information Clear mode is selected and the expression "PUSH" is displayed.
6. Press the parked regeneration switch for more than 2 seconds.
7. The expression "OFF" is displayed.
8. Turn off the key switch.
Be sure to clear error information by performing this procedure after servicing is finished.

Reactions: 1 user

Bruce Wilson

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Apr 24, 2021
AZ
So I'm thinking after reading some of the other posts on here that the error code P0101 is an old code that is still in the system, and it has nothing to do with my issue. because someone on here said that engine codes are cleared by turning the key off and on, but the trouble code still remains in the system until it is cleared using the diagnostic software. And this code has been flashing in the hour meter LCD since the first time I started it.

I have not received any separate Check Engine light at all.
I’m having the same problem with my 2019 L 3301 did you resolve your problem and could you share with me what it was thank you