L3301 Oil Change

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I just changed the oil in my new tractor...50 hrs. Book calls for 7.1 qt. with new filter, which of course went on there.
Now I am overfull quite a bit. I bet it's 1/4" over the top mark on the stick. I have heard after my change that the book is off....now I know it is. Kinda dumb. I reckon I am gonna have to siphon some of it out. This post is to alert other new owners.
Good luck
Pete:confused:

hellasmania

Jul 17, 2015
Ohio
I have a L3301 as well. Just did an oil change last week actually.
I usually put in a bit less than what is required and top off per dipstick afterwards.

Make sure you run the tractor for a few minutes and let some of that excess oil absorb into the filter. Shut down tractor, let it sit and check dipstick again.

How harmful is it to have slightly more oil than required in the machine?

steveInMaryland

Equipment
L35, b2710
Nov 23, 2015
marriotsville, MD, USA
Yes two. Now for a 1/4 inch above the dip stick, don't worry. As your machine dips left and right and up and down, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter. On the other hand way too much oil, an inch or so, as in one my dear friends who drained his transmission and put the requisite fluid down the oil fill in the top of the valve cover, was a disaster. Blew rear main and put it ALL on the drive way. 1/4 just inch, please just leave it be and be mindful next time. No harm will come from that.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Is the 4wd and 2wd tractors use the same oil pan? I know the 4x4's have 2 drain plugs. Used to be that some of the 2wd's had just one drain bolt.

Is yours 2wd or 4wd?

Also, the books are frequently notoriously wrong.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
I'm just joshing about the 2 drain plugs. Out here in the country we have to work to get a funny...ha. Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I drained both sides of the pan. And thanks for the advice on just a little overfull. I will leave it alone and do as the one guy said and start with 6 qts the next time and go from there. Wonder how they could mess up with such a simple thing ???????
Anyways, I worked the hell out of the tractor yesterday with the forks. I picked up some really big logs to pile in burn pile. I am amazed in how much this thing will pick :Dup. Really saved me a ton of work. Not much traction on rear wheels with the loads, but I was low and slow. Thanks all
Pete

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You can add some ballast to the rear of the tractor to help out with traction when working with your loader:)