L3301 Diesel Particulate Filter

Soultwater

Equipment
L3301
Nov 12, 2014
Panama City
I purchased the L3301 2014 model and think I made a big mistake… I was originally going to get the 2013 L4600 and then changed my mind because of price… Well enough of that I really don’t understand the Diesel Particulate Filter buttons on the dash.
I haven’t been able to find my manual to read about them and the only thing the dealer told me was to push the button (one on the left) every time I run the tractor. I don’t know if it will turn itself off or not and has not turned off yet.
Does anyone know where I can download an electronic manual so I can read this on my phone or pad?

Also could someone explain how the two buttons operate on the dash? They both appear to be associated with the Diesel Particulate Filter.

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
As I understand the DPF buttons... you do not have to push either button until it is time for regeneration. The dash icon will blink and a beep will sound. The icon will continue to blink and the beep will continue to sound until you push one of the two buttons. One button tells it not to reginerate now (it is not safe because you may be in a shed or enclosure) the other button, allows regineration to begin. Once you push it, the audible beep stops and you can continue working, the dash will tell you whether to increase throttle, it can increase throttle on its own if the tractor is stationary. (There should be a sticker just beside the left hand rail on the tractor that may explain this better). I hope this helps.

Dirt Mover

Jan 9, 2014
Delaware
I have a B3350 with the DPF system. Here is my experience with it: As soon as the tractor engine is started push the AUTO REGEN switch light. The auto regeneration is now on. Go about your work. When the system needs to regenerate it will automatically regenerate while you work. I find that it is best to keep the RPM up all the time, usually about 1900 - 2000. The reason for this is to keep the engine temperature up which tends to reduce the frequency of regeneration.
DM

Retired Iron Peddler

Equipment
GL5460 HSTC, LA1023 Loader, Land Pride 1072 Grapple, RTV 900
Jun 18, 2014
Mount Pleasant, TX
I have a B3350 with the DPF system. Here is my experience with it: As soon as the tractor engine is started push the AUTO REGEN switch light. The auto regeneration is now on. Go about your work. When the system needs to regenerate it will automatically regenerate while you work. I find that it is best to keep the RPM up all the time, usually about 1900 - 2000. The reason for this is to keep the engine temperature up which tends to reduce the frequency of regeneration.
DM
On my L5460HSTC, the "Auto Regen" is the default setting and it automatically comes on each time the engine is started. No button pushing is necessary. If I wanted temporarily delay the active regeneration, I would have to push buttons.

My tractor has gone through two active regeneration cycles in just under 100 hours of use. Both times I was mowing pasture at 540 rpm PTO speed and it was seamless and lasted for about 20 minutes. The only way I knew it was in regeneration was I heard one little beep and saw the indicator on the dash. As soon as regeneration was completed, the indicator went off. I scrolled through the information on the digital instrument panel information center and saw the soot collected in the DPF went to 0%.

Bill

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Regarding Iron Peddler's post:

I'm curious about the regen cycle being accomplished while mowing pasture. Does the unit get hot enough to start a grass fire?

Few years ago I was on a jobsite when a power company basket truck parked in tall grass and ran his RPMs up to operate the basket. Guy in the air few minutes when fire starts under truck. Much excitement. Lot of people / agencies got involved in determination of cause with final report indicating the engine exhaust manifold was the culprit.

Doesn't Kubota diesel particulate filter regeneration cycles run hotter than diesel exhaust manifolds?

Please post back your thoughts and experiences so we may all learn.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Waay hotter. The CDF fire guys around here with the new International Trucks that have DPF are mad as hornets. They have to hose off the area around the base of the the brush trucks when they are in the brush so the DPF systems don't ignite the vegetation. They also cut down and dirt over the are directly below the DPF system. If it goes into a stage 3 DPF, they have to pull over and not drive the vehicle while it does it.

It burns twice the fuel the older trucks did and is dramatically more unsafe in brush.

If you are parking your tractor in the high stuff, scrape down the weeds with your FEL or park in a bare spot. Don't let the weeds within 3 feet of your exhaust system.

Retired Iron Peddler

Equipment
Jun 18, 2014
Mount Pleasant, TX
Regarding Iron Peddler's post:

I'm curious about the regen cycle being accomplished while mowing pasture. Does the unit get hot enough to start a grass fire?

Few years ago I was on a jobsite when a power company basket truck parked in tall grass and ran his RPMs up to operate the basket. Guy in the air few minutes when fire starts under truck. Much excitement. Lot of people / agencies got involved in determination of cause with final report indicating the engine exhaust manifold was the culprit.

Doesn't Kubota diesel particulate filter regeneration cycles run hotter than diesel exhaust manifolds?

Please post back your thoughts and experiences so we may all learn.
The DPF is under the hood, insulated, and far away from anything combustible on the ground. The tractor exhaust system goes though a long tailpipe and at the end there is a 10-inch long air diffuser that mixes cool outside air with the exhaust gas thus cooling it. The exhaust stream blows out at about a 45 degree angle from the front left corner of the tractor and blows on the ground about 6-8 feet away. I don't see any danger of it setting the dry grass on fire while mowing my pasture. I haven't done an active regeneration with the tractor stationary, but there again, I don't think the exhaust gas will be hot enough to start a fire.

As far as fuel consumption, so far according to the dash readout, it is averaging 1.2 gallons per hour mostly working at 540-rpm PTO speed which translates to 2,400-rpm engine speed and all the engine time has been with the air conditioner running.

I changed the engine oil at the required first 50-hour service, actually it was at 62 hours, and there was no increase in the engine oil level during that time from diesel fuel contamination.

Am I pleased and satisfied with my tractor? You bet and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one! It's one fine tractor!

Bill

Disclaimer: I am not a Kubota employee nor any way paid by Kubota. Actually, I retired from 30+ years selling I-H construction machinery and heavy duty trucks.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Why dont one of you guys try doing a regen at night, its my understanding that exhaust spews chunks of glowing carbon out of exhaust pipe. Just curious if this actually happens.

Scary scenario if doing a regen in long dry grass.

So how does burning more fuel equate to lower emissions?
If the epa pushed manufacturers to make more fuel effecient engines wouldnt the end result be the same/ better?

Retired Iron Peddler

Equipment
Jun 18, 2014
Mount Pleasant, TX
Why dont one of you guys try doing a regen at night, its my understanding that exhaust spews chunks of glowing carbon out of exhaust pipe. Just curious if this actually happens.

Scary scenario if doing a regen in long dry grass.
Pieces of red hot carbon are ejected by non-DPF engines also and that's why spark arrestors are required on exhaust systems in some locations/conditions.

Bill

Junior390

Equipment
M8560, L3400
Aug 16, 2013
East Texas
I have an open station M8560 with the DPF. Approx. 285 hours now and no issues. I push the button on the left and go to work keeping the RPMs around 1800. The button on the right is for parked regen. As long as you push the button on the left at start up and keep your RPMS around 1800 you should meet the requirements of the DPF and not have to worry about the button on the right. You may not even notice the tractor going in to regen. I have had regens happen while mowing and moving round bails of hay with no fear of starting a fire. Had one regen happen at night while pushing a tree off of a fence, didn't notice any sparks or chunks flying out of the muffler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djm1204

Equipment
L4600 HST, FEL, Root Rake, Land Pride Grapple, Two way radio
Aug 11, 2014
Dunnellon, FL, USA
I purchased the L3301 2014 model and think I made a big mistake… I was originally going to get the 2013 L4600 and then changed my mind because of price… Well enough of that I really don’t understand the Diesel Particulate Filter buttons on the dash.
I haven’t been able to find my manual to read about them and the only thing the dealer told me was to push the button (one on the left) every time I run the tractor. I don’t know if it will turn itself off or not and has not turned off yet.
Does anyone know where I can download an electronic manual so I can read this on my phone or pad?

Also could someone explain how the two buttons operate on the dash? They both appear to be associated with the Diesel Particulate Filter.
I think I may have almost bought that same L4600 from a dealer very close to you - but declined when they wanted too much money and it had 10 hours on it. I was able to find a brand new L4600 elsewhere and bought that one and am very very happy with it. Has 12 hours on it and is my new favorite toy - I mean tool !

Good luck with yours and enjoy it !