L3240DT won't start. Shows PTO engaged, but it ain't.

AldermanFarms

Mar 16, 2014
Brookhaven, MS
Was brush cutting in a wooded area yesterday and needed to kill the tractor to get off and walk a bit to chart my course. I killed it before disengaging the PTO, but moved the lever to the disengage position shortly thereafter.

When I returned to the tractor and tried to start her, the display told me "no," because the PTO was still engaged. Oops. I double-checked and the lever seems fully seated in the disengaged position.

I've since unhooked the brush cutter, no luck. I was able to manually turn the PTO shaft, but not quite a full turn, still nothing.

Help?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would try to, with the key on, try moving the PTO lever on and off.
If that doesn't work try to do the same thing with the key off.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
You've got a safety switch somewhere on the PTO "system" that's got you. There may also be the seat safety switch involved.

Normally, on your machine, does the tractor die if the PTO is engaged and you stand up and get off the seat?

You're going to have to trace out the switches or figure out a way to get a start to get back to the barn with it.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

Post Script:

Brings up the topic of shutting down the machine when off away from the house. I'm old and don't see any sense in walking. I NEVER shut down when in the field---truck, tractor, ATV, whatever is in use that I don't want to have go kaput.

My habit derives from spending a lot of years banging around the oilfield in desolate parts of the country (pre-radio, cellfon days) and occasionally having a truck that wouldn't go again. It'd dang lonely in the middle of nowhere at dark-thirty walking back to the next outpost of civilization.

My loverly spouse thinks a key is there to be used and never misses an opportunity to turn something off. Drives me nutty as much as my letting it run does her.

AldermanFarms

Mar 16, 2014
Brookhaven, MS
You've got a safety switch somewhere on the PTO "system" that's got you. There may also be the seat safety switch involved.

Normally, on your machine, does the tractor die if the PTO is engaged and you stand up and get off the seat?

You're going to have to trace out the switches or figure out a way to get a start to get back to the barn with it.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

Post Script:

Brings up the topic of shutting down the machine when off away from the house. I'm old and don't see any sense in walking. I NEVER shut down when in the field---truck, tractor, ATV, whatever is in use that I don't want to have go kaput.

My habit derives from spending a lot of years banging around the oilfield in desolate parts of the country (pre-radio, cellfon days) and occasionally having a truck that wouldn't go again. It'd dang lonely in the middle of nowhere at dark-thirty walking back to the next outpost of civilization.

My loverly spouse thinks a key is there to be used and never misses an opportunity to turn something off. Drives me nutty as much as my letting it run does her.
Thank you, sir. I'll seek out the switch today. Yes, there is a seat switch, too. And that's great advice about not killing the machine. I came to that conclusion myself - right after I realized the tractor wouldn't start!! HA. Luckily, I had left the tractor back there and driven the polaris to it, so I wasn't stranded.

AldermanFarms

Mar 16, 2014
Brookhaven, MS
Yep, turns out the switch is located just beneath the lever. There are two blue wires that I can remove and jump together for a temporary fix to get 'er home.

Thanks for the help!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Another good reason to leave it running is that diesels are very efficient running and extremely inefficient starting, and it's less wear on it with it keeping oil flowing and cooling.

minthillbill

Equipment
B5200
Mar 12, 2014
Mint Hill, NC
All this is true but it needs to be said to BE SAFE GETTING ON/OFF. I had a 10HP Allis Chalmers and my foot hit the shift lever when getting off and I had to chase that sucker and turn off the key (gas engine).
BILL