L3240 HST no lights on panel and will not start.

Gandi

Equipment
L3240 Hst
Jan 31, 2022
Bellingham WA
Hi, I have a L3240 HST and nothing happens when I turn the key....no panel light....nothing. About a month ago it started acting up. When I would turn the key the panel lights would flash on and off along with a clicking sound. Now....nothing. Any thoughts on where I should start looking? I'm thinking it is the ignition switch. Thanks in advance. Jim

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Without a wiring diagram hard to say but how old is the tractor, # of hours,where kept, # of starts,additioal lighting ??? All factor into 'lifespan' of the switch.The 'clikcing' sound is worrysome ! Is it normal or a sign of something bad happening ? Again, wiring diagram is key to properly diagnosing this.
Hate to replace a good switch with a $100 unit, only to find a $5 fuse was blown.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Jim,

when was the last time your battery was load tested? The wires to and from battery?

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Did you try jump starting it?
If you know your battery is good, check the battery terminals to make sure they’re clean and tight. Also follow the ground cable to where it bolts on the frame to make sure that’s clean and tight. Then check the large B+ cable on the starter for the same.

Gandi

Equipment
L3240 Hst
Jan 31, 2022
Bellingham WA
Did you try jump starting it?
If you know your battery is good, check the battery terminals to make sure they’re clean and tight. Also follow the ground cable to where it bolts on the frame to make sure that’s clean and tight. Then check the large B+ cable on the starter for the same.
Well I only put a charger on the battery for a day. Was showing good voltage but now I'm going to pull the terminals and check all the main connections (ground, terminals and stater. If that doesn't work I'll try jumping it. Will the tractor start with a jump if the battery is bad?

Pau7220

Equipment
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Well I only put a charger on the battery for a day. Was showing good voltage but now I'm going to pull the terminals and check all the main connections (ground, terminals and stater. If that doesn't work I'll try jumping it. Will the tractor start with a jump if the battery is bad?
Good voltage really doesn’t tell you anything without a load test.

With a good set of cables and proper connections, yes it should jump start.

FYI. Ground cable connection at the frame is a common failure point.

Gandi

Equipment
L3240 Hst
Jan 31, 2022
Bellingham WA
Good voltage really doesn’t tell you anything without a load test.

With a good set of cables and proper connections, yes it should jump start.

FYI. Ground cable connection at the frame is a common failure point.
Thanks everyone for the quick responses....I'll clean everything tomorrow and try the jump. If it starts I'll pull the battery and take it somewhere for a load test.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have this note from years ago sent to me by 200mph reminding me there are two different L3240's.

When referencing the Grand L40's there are two different submodels for this series and not all information is consistent between them. They came in L3240-1 and L3240-3 (in US at least). In some situations, it might make sense to verify the submodel just to make certain the correct manual is referenced. How PTO engagement is activated is one way of confirming the difference (besides SN). -1 uses a manual lever and -3 uses a rotary electrical switch

Before anyone checking for a wiring diagram, best to post what model you have.

Your symptoms sure sound like a bad battery connection.

Do you have any cable ends like this one?

battery cable repair end.jpg

These historically have been bad news over time,

Dave

Pau7220

Equipment
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Biggest problem with these “emergency repair terminals” is that they have a nasty habit of becoming semi-permanent… until the next no-start.
Kinda like riding around with a space saver spare tire on.

Gandi

Equipment
L3240 Hst
Jan 31, 2022
Bellingham WA
I have this note from years ago sent to me by 200mph reminding me there are two different L3240's.

When referencing the Grand L40's there are two different submodels for this series and not all information is consistent between them. They came in L3240-1 and L3240-3 (in US at least). In some situations, it might make sense to verify the submodel just to make certain the correct manual is referenced. How PTO engagement is activated is one way of confirming the difference (besides SN). -1 uses a manual lever and -3 uses a rotary electrical switch

Before anyone checking for a wiring diagram, best to post what model you have.

Your symptoms sure sound like a bad battery connection.

Do you have any cable ends like this one?

View attachment 74245

Dave
Well after a bit of wire brushing and sand paper I cleaned up all cable connections and tractor started right up!!! A happy man I am! Thanks for all the suggestions and input. Much appreciated!

Gandi

Equipment
L3240 Hst
Jan 31, 2022
Bellingham WA
Cleaned up the cable ends and the old girl started right up! Happy man! Thanks for all the input.....much appreciated!

Pau7220

Equipment
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Cleaned up the cable ends and the old girl started right up! Happy man! Thanks for all the input.....much appreciated!
Good deal! Thanks for reporting the fix.