L3200 vs L3800

Boria

Apr 28, 2013
BACONTON, GA
What would be the advantage of 6 hp? Why would Kubota make such little difference in these two models? I noticed that the pto on the L3800 is live continuous vs transmission driven. What is the advantage here?

Other than the 6hp and the pto, they are pretty much the same tractor as far as I can tell. Am I missing something? Is the 6 hp worth over $1k cost difference?

I just don't understand why kubota would make these two tractors so similiar.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I like the extra 6hp for pulling a 5'-6' mower.

I also like the two stage clutch on the 3800.

There's enough difference for me to chose the L3800.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Excuse my ignorance but what does a two stage clutch do?

Also what is the advantage of a live continuous PTO?
Push the clutch in half way and the trans stops, push it all the way in and the pto stops

When you are mowing is a good example, you want the mower to be running all the time, not slow down or even stop each time you step on the clutch.

If the 3800 is only $1000 more than the 3200, that is a deal in my book. ;)
They list out for about $1950 difference. You will find that it is VERY common to have 4-8HP difference in the otherwise exact same machine.
It all comes down to what a person is doing with the tractor. If a lot of PTO work, it sure is nice to have that extra hp so that you don't have to slow down. But then really you can say the same thing about ground work. It's nice to be able to pull the implement in a higher gear vs shifting down.

If you are working on hills vs flat land. Lots of variables to consider. ;)

Boria

Apr 28, 2013
BACONTON, GA
It was around $1.5 k difference. I was just wondering if the 6 hp would make that much of a difference in the power. Doesn't seem like it.

I am in south Georgia so its all flat land. Will probably use the FEL and Box blade more than anything. I will be using a rotary mower from time to time and have been looking at maybe a tiller down the road.

I will be making payments and the extra hp will only be $25 or so difference in the payment. Just trying to justifiy the difference I guess. LOL

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I belong to more than on tractor forum and can't remember anyone wishing thy had less HP in the same size package, but LOTS who wished they had more HP and/or size. I'll take the live PTO and 6 HP for the money any day.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I belong to more than on tractor forum and can't remember anyone wishing thy had less HP in the same size package, but LOTS who wished they had more HP and/or size. I'll take the live PTO and 6 HP for the money any day.
Agreed and well said!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
A gear driving trasmission you run the risk of buring up the clutch alot faster then you would on a tractor that has a live continuous running pto. Not only does the clutch have to transfer the weight of the transmission it also has to take the work load of enganging the pto again each time you stop to change direction.

6hp on the engine makes a world of difference on the pto hp as well. You loose about 3-5 horsepower between then enging and gearing it down to the pto.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
My thought was always that the fewer horses on otherwise the same tractor, the less likely you are to tear it up. On my 10 acres, the terrain and the grass itself limits how fast I can I can go with a bush hog, not the horsepower. That is of course, within reason. My 13.5 PTO horses from the L185 weren't enough. The L3200's 25 PTO horsepower do just fine. If I was running a 6' bush hog, I might feel differently. If I was pulling plows I might feel differently. For grounds maintenance and landscaping, the L3200 is more than enough. The $$ you save can buy the mower.
I also like gears. There is a tendency to charge into things with the loader. With gears I'll only use first, which limits me to about a mile an hour. If I come up to an immovable object, the tires simply start to slip. With HST, I'd probably be doing about 5 mph, and do some serious metal bending.

Last edited:

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
I recently went through the same decision process (thread about it in this section) and went with the L3800. I got the HST and was just thinking today when bush hogging backwards up and down steep slopes that I was soo glad I got the HST and not the DT model. I can't imagine what a PITA it would be in some of the situations I find myself cutting in.

I often wonder if some people who are hard core on "AG tires and DT tranny" are just old school because that's the way they grew up or was all they were ever around. Maybe not, but I can see a lot of areas where R4 tires and HST would be much better suited.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
When something works for me I stick with it. Any of the tractors I've had would do the job of basic mowing and snow removal. Mowing is pretty much a constant. Some summers have prolonged dry spells that eliminate several weeks of mowing. Snow removal can be feast or famine here. First tractor had a front blade and all the rest had rear blades.

My history was 2 years with a Cub LoBoy 154 2WD gear tractor / turfs / 5' MMM

Next 10 years with a Ford 1210 4WD / HST / R1's / 5' RFM*

Then another 10 years with a Kubota B7500 FEL /4WD / HST / R4's / 5' RFM

Latest is an L3200 FEL / 4WD / HST / R4's / 6' RFM

The L3200 is a lot beefier than the others and with 32HP easily walks up hills with the RFM. It's a comfortable tractor to operate and I have plenty of room for my 6-4, 270# body. If I ever buy another tractor it will be 4WD / HST / FEL / R4's.

*Still have this one for a spare

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
I'm gunning for a 3240. With an HST, for utility work, I don't think the HP is of much concern. Perhaps if I was blowing snow all day all winter where the extra 1/2mph of speed would add up...sure. Otherwise I'll take the "overbuilt" mentality. Basically the smallest HP/frame ratio. On my dad's 3710 traction is always an issue before HP.

To each their own.

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
I have a L3800HST and sometimes wish I had more HP!! But I am glad I spent the extra $$ to get the L3800 instead of the L3200. Go for the L3800 - you'll like it.

bbrock

Equipment
L3200, LandPride 5' Rotary Cutter,Wallenstein Wood splitter
Apr 6, 2013
Williams,IN
I went with the L3200DT back in Feb. Tractor is doing great for what I need and I was able to use the extra savings for more implements (5' Tiller, Wood Splitter and 5' Rotary Cutter). You can do no wrong with either machine. The one thing that does bother me a little about my L3200 is the PTO (I am afraid that I will tear something up with the all or nothing clutch someday).The L3800 dual stage clutch would probably be better but other than that I am very happy with my purchase.