L3200 Valve cover removal

mkc1962

Equipment
2012 L3200
May 17, 2011
Valley Grande, Alabama
Its about time to inspect/adjust the valves on my L3200. 1st time, and Ive had since new. I have the hood off, all bolts out of the valve cover but it wont come off due to the Fuel tank hitting the back part of it. Before spending hours probably taking off more than I need to, anyone got any tips on what needs to come off or loose to accommodate the removal of the valve cover so I can access the valve adjusters?

I have the workshop manual but it only shows the adjustment routine which I already know how to do. Figuring Fuel tank has to be removed or at least lifted.

Thanks for any info,

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
If I remember correctly, there's a plate that bolts to the back of the head, goes up over the valve cover and under the tank. You can loosen it's hardware and it'll give you just enough room to sneak the valve cover out. Going back in is fun, though.

I found it easier to just take the tank out, which also gave the opportunity to check for junk inside of it.

Reactions: 1 user

mkc1962

Equipment
2012 L3200
May 17, 2011
Valley Grande, Alabama
If I remember correctly, there's a plate that bolts to the back of the head, goes up over the valve cover and under the tank. You can loosen it's hardware and it'll give you just enough room to sneak the valve cover out. Going back in is fun, though.

I found it easier to just take the tank out, which also gave the opportunity to check for junk inside of it.
Yes thought about that big plate maybe allowing enough, 2 bolts, but the main fuel lines goes through it and would have to drain a full tank if just moving it around isnt enough. BUT that's better than fully removing the tank if I don't have to. Got some bad diesel a year or two back and fully drained and flushed the tank then so doubt there's much of anything in it other than the fuel....Thanks.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
There is a trick to getting the fuel tank off.

You already have the hood (bonnet) off. Now remove or move aside the instrument panel bonnet.

The big trick is to remove the tank with what is shown as figure L13001, Item 50, which supports the fuel tank. First disengage the electrical connectors attached to the wire harnesses crossing over and through the fuel tank and its support. Move the harnesses to the rear of the tractor and out of the way.

Small items such as the shutter support will be disconnected as needed. Fuel hoses disconnected (empty tank). The grand touch is to remove 4 bolts (2 on each side) on the bottom sides of the tank support which tie into the frame of the tractor. Then pull up on the tank and its support to remove both at the same time.

I have not found a faster way to remove the tank and then get it back together with its support.