L3200 starting issue

Ranchocostalota

Equipment
L3200
Jan 25, 2014
Pendleton, Or
Hello all: I'm mostly a watcher and not a poster but I need some help. When I try to start my machine I get a rattle in the starter almost like a low battery sound or a loose terminal. My battery is fine and the starter is new. Would a bad ignition switch cause this? If I keep trying I can get it to turn over and start. If someone has a suggestion I'd appreciate it. I'm not looking forward to hauling her to our local dealer. Thanks

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Check the ground cable connection wherever it attaches to the frame, make sure it is clean and tight.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Remove both battery cables. Clean the battery terminals and the cable connectors. Replace the connectors on the battery and tighten securely., Follow the ground cable to the frame. Remove it. Clean well and reconnect, tightening securely. If this makes no difference charge your battery then have it load tested. This will give you a known starting point for troubleshooting. Then again, it could solve the problem.

Ranchocostalota

Equipment
L3200
Jan 25, 2014
Pendleton, Or
Remove both battery cables. Clean the battery terminals and the cable connectors. Replace the connectors on the battery and tighten securely., Follow the ground cable to the frame. Remove it. Clean well and reconnect, tightening securely. If this makes no difference charge your battery then have it load tested. This will give you a known starting point for troubleshooting. Then again, it could solve the problem.
Thanks for the replies! I have done all that you've mentioned. The starting circuit is so short I can't figure out what's left.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Perhaps it's time to drag out the schematic diagram of your starting circuit. You know the starter needs adequate voltage and current to turn the engine over. It seems like sometimes it gets it and sometimes it doesn't. Try attaching a voltmeter to the big lug on the starter to monitor the voltage when it won't start. If voltage is low start back tracking to determine why. If your problem is intermittent rest assured that if you take it to the dealer it will probably perform perfectly every time while it's in the shop.

379Kitty

Apr 28, 2021
OK
Hello all: I'm mostly a watcher and not a poster but I need some help. When I try to start my machine I get a rattle in the starter almost like a low battery sound or a loose terminal. My battery is fine and the starter is new. Would a bad ignition switch cause this? If I keep trying I can get it to turn over and start. If someone has a suggestion I'd appreciate it. I'm not looking forward to hauling her to our local dealer. Thanks
There should be a plug-in wiring connector to the right of the steering column, about an inch square and running vertically.
Mine was doing same thing, discovered squeezing that connector together tighter (can feel it move maybe 1/16 of an inch) solves problem. Sometimes I can squeeze it together then let go and it starts fine, once in awhile I have to hold it while cranking.
Upside - pretty good passive theft prevention.

Ranchocostalota

Equipment
L3200
Jan 25, 2014
Pendleton, Or
Perhaps it's time to drag out the schematic diagram of your starting circuit. You know the starter needs adequate voltage and current to turn the engine over. It seems like sometimes it gets it and sometimes it doesn't. Try attaching a voltmeter to the big lug on the starter to monitor the voltage when it won't start. If voltage is low start back tracking to determine why. If your problem is intermittent rest assured that if you take it to the dealer it will probably perform perfectly every time while it's in the shop.
I took my battery out and had it load tested. It took 100 amps fine and recovered. We checked everything from connections to grounds. The ignition switch checked out fine. I'm happy to say and I hate to say that it turned out to be the battery. I put the highest amperage one that would fit: What is the amperage requirement to start a 3200 HST? Thanks

woodsy

Equipment
95 Kubota L3300DT W/FEL, 60" AgroTrend 3pt snow blower89 Arctic Cat 440 Panther
Apr 20, 2021
Maine
Same as My L3300, 490 CCA . I've go a 650 CCA in mine though, cold winter climate.
Doesn't hurt to go bigger if it will fit.