L3200 out of gas - would not restart

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
So I ran out of gas about 1/4 mile from the barn - uphill both ways, naturally. I was tilling my garden patch, and it just quit. I figured it was out of gas, and fueled it up. Read up on bleeding the fuel lines, and charged out to restart it.
It started, ran about 10 seconds, and quit again. And again, and again, and again..... Each time it ran a bit less. Finally it got dark, so I quit for the night.

This morning, same thing. It would run maybe a second or two -- or less - and quit. I pulled the bleeder valve off; NOTHING dribbled out. I pulled the line from the gas filter off of the fuel pump; NOTHING dribbled out.

So I pulled the hose down as low as it would go, and fuel started to flow!! Whoopie! I pushed the hose back on the fuel pump, and a second later fuel came out of the fitting for the bleeder valve. I screwed it back on, started the tractor, and proceeded with the bleeding routine. All OK now.

I cannot say a whole lot good about the fancy bleeder valve they now use. Since it does not ever drip fuel, you cannot tell what it is doing, or what you have. Or are supposed to have. On the old 185, you loosened a nut, and gravity fed fuel out around it. When you saw fuel, you tightened it up, and that was it. Ah, the good old days...

Last edited:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Darn!! Do you suppose that could have been it?! Whatever the stuff is, the tractor is burning it fine.

vickark

Equipment
L3200, fel,backhoe,sgr 1060 grapple, boxblade, lp bush hog,post hole auger
Jun 16, 2013
Texas
So I ran out of gas about 1/4 mile from the barn - uphill both ways, naturally. I was tilling my garden patch, and it just quit. I figured it was out of gas, and fueled it up. Read up on bleeding the fuel lines, and charged out to restart it.
It started, ran about 10 seconds, and quit again. And again, and again, and again..... Each time it ran a bit less. Finally it got dark, so I quit for the night.

This morning, same thing. It would run maybe a second or two -- or less - and quit. I pulled the bleeder valve off; NOTHING dribbled out. I pulled the line from the gas filter off of the fuel pump; NOTHING dribbled out.

So I pulled the hose down as low as it would go, and fuel started to flow!! Whoopie! I pushed the hose back on the fuel pump, and a second later fuel came out of the fitting for the bleeder valve. I screwed it back on, started the tractor, and proceeded with the bleeding routine. All OK now.

I cannot say a whole lot good about the fancy bleeder valve they now use. Since it does not ever drip fuel, you cannot tell what it is doing, or what you have. Or are supposed to have. On the old 185, you loosened a nut, and gravity fed fuel out around it. When you saw fuel, you tightened it up, and that was it. Ah, the good old days...
I'm going to try that this morning. Thanks