L3200 bush hog advise

Brak876

Mar 9, 2016
Nashville Tn USA
I have been looking at replacing my Ford 3000 for some time now and am wondering if a used L3200hst is enough for my needs. I need a loader, but only for moving some creek gravel or small amounts of dirt,rocks,etc from time to time. I used to have a 24hp Ford 8n and I miss the smaller tractor, but I was using a 4 foot bush hog with it because that's what I had at the time. The Ford 3000 seems overkill with 38 pto hp with a 6 foot bush hog. I will be keeping the 3000 and am looking to buy a L3200hst and a 5 foot bush hog and would like to know from someone that has owned one for some time is it enough to pull a 5 foot bush hog in tall grass? Will it mow chest high grass up a moderately steep hill(with in reason steep)? What speed would you be bush hogging with a 5 footer? 4 mph? Lots of questions but i would like to know before I make a wrong decision. I usually run my Ford 3000 with a 6 foot in chest high grass in 3rd gear, that's around 4mph and would be happy to do the same with a smaller tractor even with a 5 footer.I know most will say bigger is better, but actual usage will be cutting 25 acres of grass with 5 foot bush hog and using my 5 foot finishing mower in a 2 acre field. Thanks for advise

knightgang

Equipment
Kubota L2950
Aug 20, 2015
Georiga
I do not have a L3200, but my L2950 is about the same HP ratings and size. I have a loader on mine and a 5' bush hog with it. I see no reason that you would not be able to mow that high grass at that speed with the 3200.

We are using ours right now to help clear land. When we get away from the saplings and the water, the brush that is usually about hood height and I mean this is brush, we mow through at about that speed.

Last edited:

LDowney

Equipment
Kubota MX6000
As you can tell from my signature, I have the L3200 HST with a 5' bush hog. I haven't had any issues with lack of power thus far. It mows flat and hills very much the same. I've been very please with my L3200. I think you will as well. It's a great tractor.

Brak876

Mar 9, 2016
Nashville Tn USA
As you can tell from my signature, I have the L3200 HST with a 5' bush hog. I haven't had any issues with lack of power thus far. It mows flat and hills very much the same. I've been very please with my L3200. I think you will as well. It's a great tractor.
I do not have a L3200, but my L2950 is about the same HP ratings and size. I have a loader on mine and a 5' bush hog with it. I see no reason that you would not be able to mow that high grass at that speed with the 3200.

We are using ours right now to help clear land. When we get away from the saplings and the water, the brush that is usually about hood height and I mean this is brush, we mow through at about that speed.
Thanks, for the responses. I think I have made my mind up on the L3200 as a winner.

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Yep, you will be fine. I have an old L3010 and have mowed a lot of stuff I never should have :eek: with a 5' bush hog. Cleared lanes on deer leases of small pine trees (2" dia), grass deep enough you have to stand up on the tractor to see where you are going. NOT recommending it, but it will handle it! You may have to slow down for the real extreme stuff, but you would with a 4' also.

Doc

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My L3000 is almost exact same engine and pto hp and it handles a 5' cutter fine. I suggest filling the rear tires with fluid though for the extra traction and stability. You won't notice much difference on flat ground but it huge on hills.