L3130 - suspected crankshaft damage - how to remove engine

jiggseob

Equipment
B6200 HST with Allied loader, Muratori 48" hyd side shift tiller
Nov 12, 2023
Round Hill, Alberta, Canada
L3130-HST. Back-story... there's always a back story. I've owned and (ab)used a B6200 hst for 25 years. Great piece of equipment. My brother purchased a half-section of farmland from an estate. Lock-stock-and barrel The late fellow was known to be somewhat odd, in that he never maintained anything, ran it until it broke and then went to town and bought another. The bushes were full of tractors, trucks, and all manner of stuff, most of which was broken. Three Kubotas, an LX3310, an L3540, and an L3130. The newest one, the LX3310 was still running when the fellow passed away, and within a week thieves went into his yard and took it. The 3540 and 3130 were both non-running and in the bush overgrown so thieves obviously deemed them not worth taking. The 3540 and 3130 were bundled with the land purchase. The 3540 had been sitting at least 5 years since it died and was dragged in the bush, the 3130 sitting in the bush since the 3540 was purchased. The 3540 had been fueled with gasoline, and someone obviously told the old fellow it would need thousands of dollars to make it better, and went to town and bought the LX3310. In fact, the 3540 is now running beautifully after flushing fuel changing fuel filter, changing engine oil twice and HST fluid once. So my brother kept the 3540 for his yard-work, and gave me the 3130.

The 3130 is rumored to have been run out of crankcase oil until it quit running. Hooked a battery to it, and it cranked really really hard and very slowly. Cranked so slowly that it did not seem to make any compression "bump". Kinda behaves like a rod or main bearing starved of oil and tightened up real real bad. Turned engine over a few times, no clanking and banging, no easy or really really tight spots, and no obvious hole punched out in the casting of the block or pan. Unknown hours, did not look at clock when battery was hooked up for experimental crank. The ag-lug tires aren't worn down much, but the edges of the lugs are worn a bit round, and the tires are checked, looking at the tires I guestimate 3000 hrs. When diagnosing an engine by cranking it, a failed-tight bore and piston will turn real hard most of the way around, and there will be an easy-spot where the piston sits still at tdc and bdc. Unless all three bores are equally bad/tight.

So first step in getting 3130 to be a tractor again will be to assess the engine.

Can the oil-pan be removed to remove a few bearing caps and check bearing condition? Or is this like many tractors where the cast iron oil pan is part of the structure of the tractor, and to remove the oil-pan you must split the tractor?

Removing the oil pan is probably somewhat moot anyways. The rumored cause of failure and the behaviour so far indicates some sort of bad internal engine problem that will necessitate grinding the crank, so that means splitting the tractor.

To me, there are two reasons to "split" something like this; 1- to service clutch, where one could leave front of engine and radiator and such all assembled, and remove whats necessary to un-bolt bellhousing from engine block and roll the front away from the back. Thats what I did to replace the clutch disc on my B6200 when the clutch-plate cush-drive springs blew up. That took me about 14 hours from driving into the shop to driving out again.
2- to remove and service engine. Recalling the way the B6200 is structured, to accomplish engine removal I would block up/support the tractor and roll-away the front axle. Then remove the front frame and radiator and stuff. Then support the transmission/rear of tractor and remove engine from bellhousing forward. When I did the B6200 the dash and steering column and operator station did not need removal, I unbolted it and moved it back a smidgen and left it kinda sitting there. I hope I can cheat similarly on the 3130.

I'm expecting to find internal engine damage in and around the crankshaft and bearings. If thats what I find, the "long-block" will go to an engine rebuild shop and come back ready to install. If head, bores, pistons etc are toast and need fixing, the rebuild shop should figure that out. If its the crankshaft, hopefully a grind and 10-over bearings will do it. Maybe a new connecting rod or two.

I'd appreciate any advice from veterans of L-series disassembly, as to how to approach it. I know the WSM sometimes likes to overdo some processes in the interest of idiot-proofing. The B6200 split the tractor process from the WSM recommended removal of rear fenders, floor panels, and operator station/dash. None of which I found to be necessary.

I'm hoping the 3130 can be made better for a few thousand. It came to me basically free. The largest cost in repairing is likely to be the engine rebuild shop and the parts required. Apparently pistons are $400 per, and con-rods $500. Hope I don't need any of those. In these parts, a 3000 hr 3130 with loader would be a $15,000 thing. Hopefully the whole engine does not cost $15,000.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Can the oil-pan be removed to remove a few bearing caps and check bearing condition? Or is this like many tractors where the cast iron oil pan is part of the structure of the tractor, and to remove the oil-pan you must split the tractor?
You can remove the pan and access the rod bearings caps but the engine will have to be removed from the tractor to access the main bearings. The mains are enclosed in full-circle holders and the crankshaft has to be removed from the rear of the block.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I’m no technical help. I do like the 30 and 40 L series HST tractors. Here in the PNW a less than 1000 hour, larger HST 40 series with FEL. goes for around USD $30k. A smaller 30 series with under 1000 hours would go for $20k +.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
L3130-HST. Back-story... there's always a back story. I've owned and (ab)used a B6200 hst for 25 years. Great piece of equipment. My brother purchased a half-section of farmland from an estate. Lock-stock-and barrel The late fellow was known to be somewhat odd, in that he never maintained anything, ran it until it broke and then went to town and bought another. The bushes were full of tractors, trucks, and all manner of stuff, most of which was broken. Three Kubotas, an LX3310, an L3540, and an L3130. The newest one, the LX3310 was still running when the fellow passed away, and within a week thieves went into his yard and took it. The 3540 and 3130 were both non-running and in the bush overgrown so thieves obviously deemed them not worth taking. The 3540 and 3130 were bundled with the land purchase. The 3540 had been sitting at least 5 years since it died and was dragged in the bush, the 3130 sitting in the bush since the 3540 was purchased. The 3540 had been fueled with gasoline, and someone obviously told the old fellow it would need thousands of dollars to make it better, and went to town and bought the LX3310. In fact, the 3540 is now running beautifully after flushing fuel changing fuel filter, changing engine oil twice and HST fluid once. So my brother kept the 3540 for his yard-work, and gave me the 3130.

The 3130 is rumored to have been run out of crankcase oil until it quit running. Hooked a battery to it, and it cranked really really hard and very slowly. Cranked so slowly that it did not seem to make any compression "bump". Kinda behaves like a rod or main bearing starved of oil and tightened up real real bad. Turned engine over a few times, no clanking and banging, no easy or really really tight spots, and no obvious hole punched out in the casting of the block or pan. Unknown hours, did not look at clock when battery was hooked up for experimental crank. The ag-lug tires aren't worn down much, but the edges of the lugs are worn a bit round, and the tires are checked, looking at the tires I guestimate 3000 hrs. When diagnosing an engine by cranking it, a failed-tight bore and piston will turn real hard most of the way around, and there will be an easy-spot where the piston sits still at tdc and bdc. Unless all three bores are equally bad/tight.

So first step in getting 3130 to be a tractor again will be to assess the engine.

Removing the oil pan is probably somewhat moot anyways. The rumored cause of failure and the behaviour so far indicates some sort of bad internal engine problem that will necessitate grinding the crank, so that means splitting the tractor.

To me, there are two reasons to "split" something like this; 1- to service clutch, where one could leave front of engine and radiator and such all assembled, and remove whats necessary to un-bolt bellhousing from engine block and roll the front away from the back. Thats what I did to replace the clutch disc on my B6200 when the clutch-plate cush-drive springs blew up. That took me about 14 hours from driving into the shop to driving out again.
2- to remove and service engine. Recalling the way the B6200 is structured, to accomplish engine removal I would block up/support the tractor and roll-away the front axle. Then remove the front frame and radiator and stuff. Then support the transmission/rear of tractor and remove engine from bellhousing forward. When I did the B6200 the dash and steering column and operator station did not need removal, I unbolted it and moved it back a smidgen and left it kinda sitting there. I hope I can cheat similarly on the 3130.

I'm expecting to find internal engine damage in and around the crankshaft and bearings. If thats what I find, the "long-block" will go to an engine rebuild shop and come back ready to install. If head, bores, pistons etc are toast and need fixing, the rebuild shop should figure that out. If its the crankshaft, hopefully a grind and 10-over bearings will do it. Maybe a new connecting rod or two.

I'd appreciate any advice from veterans of L-series disassembly, as to how to approach it. I know the WSM sometimes likes to overdo some processes in the interest of idiot-proofing. The B6200 split the tractor process from the WSM recommended removal of rear fenders, floor panels, and operator station/dash. None of which I found to be necessary.

I'm hoping the 3130 can be made better for a few thousand. It came to me basically free. The largest cost in repairing is likely to be the engine rebuild shop and the parts required. Apparently pistons are $400 per, and con-rods $500. Hope I don't need any of those. In these parts, a 3000 hr 3130 with loader would be a $15,000 thing. Hopefully the whole engine does not cost $15,000.
You can download a digital copy of the WSM from Kubotabooks.com.

I have not looked at that particular document but standard Kubota WSM organization will include a section on "separation" which details the job you are contemplating.

I will be interested in hearing how this works out and the final cost.

Dan.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
@jiggseob that's a great story. Yeah, I've known people who consider machinery disposable. Wow.

I'm afraid I can't offer help on the 3130, however if it turns out that the thing can breathe life again, will you perform a restoration on it? If so, perhaps I can offer some help there.

jiggseob

Equipment
Nov 12, 2023
Update.... WSM Downloaded, printed out, in binder in shop, now has greasy fingerprints all over it.

The engine is so "tight" that the starter barely turns it. Cannot turn by hand using any means; chain wrench around fan-pulley, lever on flywheel teeth, etc. No solid evidence as to what is tight, but the improper oil filter leaking at base gasket is WHY. Before any disassembly, I suspect one or more of three rod-bearings have turned.

Got the tractor "separated" without lifting off / loosening / disturbing the dash and floor-pan. Those bolts around the circumference of the clutch housing (bell housing?) were fiddly to reach but possible.

Then got the engine out. Took front cover off. Took oil pan off. Took head off. #1 piston about 1/2" from TDC, #2 about halfway down, #3 near BDC. Still unable to turn. Took idle-gear off, camshaft turns easy, fuel pump turns easy, crankshaft does not turn.

Time to take pistons out. Cleaned carbon-ring from above top ring with solvent and scotchbrite in all three bores. Took rod cap and pushed out piston #3. Nothing unusual. Took rod cap and pushed out piston #2. Nothing unusual. Took rod cap off #1, and as I loosened the bolts, crankshaft suddenly turned easy.

#1 rod bearing shell had metal-fused to the crankshaft, and the rod. Loosening the rod allowed things to turn, and the shell stays welded to the crank. Pushed piston out. Now crank spins easy-peasy. Tapped bearing shell fused onto crank-pin with ball-peen hammer and it unfused and fell off.

Picture is of pistons, #3 at top, #2 in middle, #1 at bottom. Note bluing from the un-intended "heat treating" on big end of #1 rod.

Crankpin is scored. Looking at getting crank ground to 8-thou under and getting new 8-thou bearing shells.

Question for engine-builders.... I see all sorts of off-brand Friday Parts, Amazon, etc suppliers who will supply a new replacement crankshaft with standard bearing set shipped to my door for less than the cost of having my crank ground at a local engine rebuilder. OK, so maybe not "Kubota" branded parts, but has anyone used them, do they work, do they last?

Attachments

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I haven’t used any aftermarket Kubota engine crank shafts myself. But, my modus opperendum is to use OEM parts or to repair OEM parts vs use lessor expensive aftermarket parts, especially if the aftermarket parts are made in China (don’t know if that’s the case here). I find that typically OEM parts are better quality and I figure if it worked X number of hours/miles the first time, I can expect similar from an OEM replacement or repair. Whereas the aftermarket part is often an unknown. Also, parts are typically about 1/3 of the total repair cost, labor being most of the rest of the cost. Even if your labor is “free”, it has value that’s likely nearly an order of magnitude greater that the “savings” between an aftermarket part and an OEM part/repair, should you have to tear it down again due to an aftermarket part failure.

Wishing you the best with getting the L3130 up and going again. Good on you for fixing it yourself.

Reactions: 1 user

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
An auto machine shop may be able to turn the crank down a few thousandths and provide you with the necessary undersized bearings. Kubota may even have the bearings.
Worth a try.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Update.... WSM Downloaded, printed out, in binder in shop, now has greasy fingerprints all over it.

The engine is so "tight" that the starter barely turns it. Cannot turn by hand using any means; chain wrench around fan-pulley, lever on flywheel teeth, etc. No solid evidence as to what is tight, but the improper oil filter leaking at base gasket is WHY. Before any disassembly, I suspect one or more of three rod-bearings have turned.

Got the tractor "separated" without lifting off / loosening / disturbing the dash and floor-pan. Those bolts around the circumference of the clutch housing (bell housing?) were fiddly to reach but possible.

Then got the engine out. Took front cover off. Took oil pan off. Took head off. #1 piston about 1/2" from TDC, #2 about halfway down, #3 near BDC. Still unable to turn. Took idle-gear off, camshaft turns easy, fuel pump turns easy, crankshaft does not turn.

Time to take pistons out. Cleaned carbon-ring from above top ring with solvent and scotchbrite in all three bores. Took rod cap and pushed out piston #3. Nothing unusual. Took rod cap and pushed out piston #2. Nothing unusual. Took rod cap off #1, and as I loosened the bolts, crankshaft suddenly turned easy.

#1 rod bearing shell had metal-fused to the crankshaft, and the rod. Loosening the rod allowed things to turn, and the shell stays welded to the crank. Pushed piston out. Now crank spins easy-peasy. Tapped bearing shell fused onto crank-pin with ball-peen hammer and it unfused and fell off.

Picture is of pistons, #3 at top, #2 in middle, #1 at bottom. Note bluing from the un-intended "heat treating" on big end of #1 rod.

Crankpin is scored. Looking at getting crank ground to 8-thou under and getting new 8-thou bearing shells.

Question for engine-builders.... I see all sorts of off-brand Friday Parts, Amazon, etc suppliers who will supply a new replacement crankshaft with standard bearing set shipped to my door for less than the cost of having my crank ground at a local engine rebuilder. OK, so maybe not "Kubota" branded parts, but has anyone used them, do they work, do they last?
Plenty of aftermarket suppliers are reputable.
Kumar Bros have been doing it for years.
A lot of Kubota parts are actually already made in China so it's all coming out of the same source.

There is 2 different size crank main bearings that they used, so measure yours and get the right crank.
They used 52mm and 60mm

This is the route I would go:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Just how 'bad' is the crankshaft where you 'banged off the end cap' ??
if very lightly scored, you may be able to 'lap' the crankshaft. a picture ,if possible, would be nice
I've done this 'lapping' ( very fine sandpaper+oil) on small gas engines all ran fine afterwards.
Just thinking of less expensive options, both time(days..) and money ($1000 ).

jiggseob

Equipment
Nov 12, 2023
The rod bearing caps and shells on #2 and #3 just fell off with a gentle push of a finger after the bolts were out.

The rod bearing cap on #1 came off real easy. The rod bearing shell was fused to the crank-pin. A small tap with the hammer - no chisel - cracked the shells free from the crankpin. Heres a pic of the scored crankpin and a pic of the scored shells..

The local engine shop - that does its living with ag, industrial, performance car, etc engines crankshafts and blocks - estimates that it would be like $500 canadian pesos to grind the crank. They haven't seen my crank. But the guy says he has done several Kubota cranks, only one successfully. The oversize bearings are available in 0.2mm and 0.4mm (8 and 16 thou for old-thinkers like me) and it doesn't take very deep scoring of a journal to be more than (half of) the 16 thou. So if you can snag a fingernail in the score of the journal, its probably deeper than 8 thou, and won't clean-up from grinding the diameter down 16 thou. My local guy does not have the facility to build-up and grind-down to size. There is a shop in the big city an hour away that can, but the cost of the custom build-up and grind-down guestimated to be at least $1500.

So the Parts-ASAP link from North Idaho Wolfman above, with a "standard size" crankshaft re-ground and polished to the exact standard size, will have been "built up" by some magical electrofusion welding process way way way more sophisticated than my Miller Thunderbolt, and then ground, polished, and manufactured back to size. That is not a bad thing, forged steel crankshafts have been reworked in that manner for decades, and end up serving as reliably (or better) than new.

Still checking around, but the Parts-ASAP link above looks most promising so far.

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The rod bearing caps and shells on #2 and #3 just fell off with a gentle push of a finger after the bolts were out.

The rod bearing cap on #1 came off real easy. The rod bearing shell was fused to the crank-pin. A small tap with the hammer - no chisel - cracked the shells free from the crankpin. Heres a pic of the scored crankpin and a pic of the scored shells..

The local engine shop - that does its living with ag, industrial, performance car, etc engines crankshafts and blocks - estimates that it would be like $500 canadian pesos to grind the crank. They haven't seen my crank. But the guy says he has done several Kubota cranks, only one successfully. The oversize bearings are available in 0.2mm and 0.4mm (8 and 16 thou for old-thinkers like me) and it doesn't take very deep scoring of a journal to be more than (half of) the 16 thou. So if you can snag a fingernail in the score of the journal, its probably deeper than 8 thou, and won't clean-up from grinding the diameter down 16 thou. My local guy does not have the facility to build-up and grind-down to size. There is a shop in the big city an hour away that can, but the cost of the custom build-up and grind-down guestimated to be at least $1500.

So the Parts-ASAP link from North Idaho Wolfman above, with a "standard size" crankshaft re-ground and polished to the exact standard size, will have been "built up" by some magical electrofusion welding process way way way more sophisticated than my Miller Thunderbolt, and then ground, polished, and manufactured back to size. That is not a bad thing, forged steel crankshafts have been reworked in that manner for decades, and end up serving as reliably (or better) than new.

Still checking around, but the Parts-ASAP link above looks most promising so far.
A careful reading of that link leads me to suspect the crankshaft is likey ground undersize. Call and ask about that as well as actual availability.

Dan

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
Not sure what model engine that is but might change on an exchange engine.
I was looking at a place in the Midwest that had good prices.
Used all Kubota parts.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Very impressive work! Post pics of the situation as you go if you can.

On my L35 restoration, I've used a lot of parts (Kubota and others depending on what they were). I've had positive results with Kumar Bros, All States, Messicks, Coleman, Weingartz.

Many of the bushings I've replaced, I've sourced from Kubota to find "Made in China" stickers on them. Hmmm yes, a worldwide parts cannon alright.
I would guess that parts made around the world for Kubota are made to specific specs from Kubta (e.g., metallurgy, etc). Who knows about any others not made specifically for Kubota.

I certainly like the recommendation from @North Idaho Wolfman since you are eliminating finding a machine shop and the fussing around finding bearings.
Even us retired guys value our time :D

Kindly keep us posted on this - it's a great story!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Sigh, sadly not going to 'lap' that crank back into good working condition, :(
Looks like it's time to get pencil and paper out and make 'the list'. Crankshaft, gaskets,bearings and then the 'while-it's-apart' parts..... once that's added up ,compare to say a rebuilt engine or an entire parts tractor with good engine. Be sure to include shipping costs, not just the prices for parts.
Another factor is when do you HAVE to have the tractor 'up and running' ? Hopefully you have space to store a 'split' tractor, as these jobs tend to mushroom in cost,time and space.
One camp says wait until all the parts are in,then begin...the other says 'split it now' during your 'free'time.
Either way you've definitely have a 'project'.

jiggseob

Equipment
Nov 12, 2023
Yes, the tractor is now "split", with a yard-sale of parts occupying shop space that is always at a premium. Around our farm, shop space is at greatest premium for harvest, which starts with preparing combines and headers and balers in July, and carries on with actual harvest. We want harvest to be complete in mid-October, but with Murphy's law firmly enacted, often into November or even occasionally April of the following spring. But right now, its the boys and their snowmobiles piling the tractor-hood on top of something else to get their toys into the shop and play with them.

I've only split a few tractors in my life, not something I do almost daily like an ag-tech working at a dealership. "Splitting" is quite a task., getting back together (un-splitting?) is sometimes way more fiddly than splitting. In the case of this HST transmission Kubota, should be as simple as it gets. With bigger, more mechanically complex live-pto concentric 2-stage multi-plate clutch things, getting all the splines to align is like getting Venus to line up with Uranus. This Kubota HST has only one clutch spline, and not even a pilot-shaft and bearing/bushing. So it should un-split more easily than say a Massey 1155 or JD-4020 or a Fordson Super Major. What I've found with splitting tractors with home-made shop-built splitting stands is to make things adjustable. I support the center of the rear half with a 20t bottle jack, not that this Kubota weighs 20t, but a 20t jack will hold that may hundred pound load for a long time without creeping. When positioning the tractor to split, sometimes when un-splitting it helps to be able to adjust the rear half. To move the rear half up down or tilt the tiniest of smidgens, raising or lowering rear tire pressures while leaving the 20t jack where it is can be of use, so before splitting the tractor, lift rear wheels up and put tire valves to the top so you can put air in and out without barfing out fluid. Supporting the front half one usually makes stands to support either side of engine or frame. Some people make little wheels to roll the front half fore and aft. I'm not that fancy, I'm only going ahead a foot or so, and then back again, so steel sliding on concrete is OK for me. I do weld a 3/4" diam nut to the bottom of the support stands, so that I can thread a bolt in and adjust the height of the stands as necessary. With many tractors, the "front half" becomes unstable when the engine is removed. A third-leg to support the nose is always a good idea, even on a small tractor like this 3130 theres alot of iron in the front axle and if it flips over in an uncontrolled manner, it ain't pretty. DAMHIK

Yes, the LIST is building. Things like those aluminum crush washers under the injector return pipe do not come with the overhaul gasket set, but should be replaced to not leak and keep the nice clean engine from quickly being a sticky mess.

A conversation with All States Ag Parts was somewhat curious. Person on phone says crank is ground and polished 10 thou over. Yes, I'm pretty sure he means under. Hmm... Bearing shells from Kubota are available in 0.2mm over and 0.4mm over, which is 8 thou or 16 thou. All States Ag Parts says they can also supply bearing shells. Maybe a non-Kubota bearing supplier has shells in increments of 10-thou over. Some more making sure of stuff certainly is called-for before the stuff hits my debit card.

I still have to further disassemble my crank, find out if the mains are 52mm or 60mm nominal diameter. Verify that main bearing carriers are not damaged.

So much other stuff on the tractor needs attention, severely weathered tires, rusted rims, loader beat to crap, everywhere you look its just ill-cared-for. We've kinda drawn a line in the sand for engine parts to cost $2000 cad or less, or we scrap the thing and start over before we get really really deep. Without running it, its so hard to guess what else might be fudged. But given the engine was piled, probably everything else was working, but who knows how well.

The fun continues.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yes, the tractor is now "split", with a yard-sale of parts occupying shop space that is always at a premium. Around our farm, shop space is at greatest premium for harvest, which starts with preparing combines and headers and balers in July, and carries on with actual harvest. We want harvest to be complete in mid-October, but with Murphy's law firmly enacted, often into November or even occasionally April of the following spring. But right now, its the boys and their snowmobiles piling the tractor-hood on top of something else to get their toys into the shop and play with them.

I've only split a few tractors in my life, not something I do almost daily like an ag-tech working at a dealership. "Splitting" is quite a task., getting back together (un-splitting?) is sometimes way more fiddly than splitting. In the case of this HST transmission Kubota, should be as simple as it gets. With bigger, more mechanically complex live-pto concentric 2-stage multi-plate clutch things, getting all the splines to align is like getting Venus to line up with Uranus. This Kubota HST has only one clutch spline, and not even a pilot-shaft and bearing/bushing. So it should un-split more easily than say a Massey 1155 or JD-4020 or a Fordson Super Major. What I've found with splitting tractors with home-made shop-built splitting stands is to make things adjustable. I support the center of the rear half with a 20t bottle jack, not that this Kubota weighs 20t, but a 20t jack will hold that may hundred pound load for a long time without creeping. When positioning the tractor to split, sometimes when un-splitting it helps to be able to adjust the rear half. To move the rear half up down or tilt the tiniest of smidgens, raising or lowering rear tire pressures while leaving the 20t jack where it is can be of use, so before splitting the tractor, lift rear wheels up and put tire valves to the top so you can put air in and out without barfing out fluid. Supporting the front half one usually makes stands to support either side of engine or frame. Some people make little wheels to roll the front half fore and aft. I'm not that fancy, I'm only going ahead a foot or so, and then back again, so steel sliding on concrete is OK for me. I do weld a 3/4" diam nut to the bottom of the support stands, so that I can thread a bolt in and adjust the height of the stands as necessary. With many tractors, the "front half" becomes unstable when the engine is removed. A third-leg to support the nose is always a good idea, even on a small tractor like this 3130 theres alot of iron in the front axle and if it flips over in an uncontrolled manner, it ain't pretty. DAMHIK

Yes, the LIST is building. Things like those aluminum crush washers under the injector return pipe do not come with the overhaul gasket set, but should be replaced to not leak and keep the nice clean engine from quickly being a sticky mess.

A conversation with All States Ag Parts was somewhat curious. Person on phone says crank is ground and polished 10 thou over. Yes, I'm pretty sure he means under. Hmm... Bearing shells from Kubota are available in 0.2mm over and 0.4mm over, which is 8 thou or 16 thou. All States Ag Parts says they can also supply bearing shells. Maybe a non-Kubota bearing supplier has shells in increments of 10-thou over. Some more making sure of stuff certainly is called-for before the stuff hits my debit card.

I still have to further disassemble my crank, find out if the mains are 52mm or 60mm nominal diameter. Verify that main bearing carriers are not damaged.

So much other stuff on the tractor needs attention, severely weathered tires, rusted rims, loader beat to crap, everywhere you look its just ill-cared-for. We've kinda drawn a line in the sand for engine parts to cost $2000 cad or less, or we scrap the thing and start over before we get really really deep. Without running it, its so hard to guess what else might be fudged. But given the engine was piled, probably everything else was working, but who knows how well.

The fun continues.
Given the looks of the crank expect more damage.

Personally I would be thinking exchange for a professionally reman long block. Alternatively All States is big in the salvage business and may be able to supply a good used take out.

Dan

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I would check another machine shop for cost of restoring crank. It has been several years since I had one welded but the cost was never prohibitively expensive.