L3130 power issue

howie b 75

Equipment
L3130 HST
Sep 17, 2021
Massachusetts
I initially started the tractor it ran for 20 min then I shut it off and when I came back and turned the key and nothing. No instrument panel lights or anything. I checked battery connections all excellent I jumped out starter it cranked fine. I put battery jumpers on still no change. I left it for awhile came back turned on key and my fm radio came on which is very odd because it usually does not unless tractor is running. at that time it started and I used it for what work I was doing. Next day hit the key instrument lights flashed and then dead again. Not sure what to look at now maybe ignition switch?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Without a wiring diagram , hard if not impossible to say exactly what the cause is...
yes, it could be the ignition switch....
or
vermin have modified your wiring....
loose, corroded connection(s)...
bad battery cables..
corroded fuse block assembly...

IF the radio has never been running, unless tractor IS running then follow the wiring diagram and see HOW radio can work without engine running.

What is unknown is age of tractor, where stored, any 'mods' to it, ever been left in the rain ,???

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea, bets are good that it's a failing ignition switch.

howie b 75

Equipment
L3130 HST
Sep 17, 2021
Massachusetts
Without a wiring diagram , hard if not impossible to say exactly what the cause is...
yes, it could be the ignition switch....
or
vermin have modified your wiring....
loose, corroded connection(s)...
bad battery cables..
corroded fuse block assembly...

IF the radio has never been running, unless tractor IS running then follow the wiring diagram and see HOW radio can work without engine running.

What is unknown is age of tractor, where stored, any 'mods' to it, ever been left in the rain ,???
Went out this morning and tractor started right up I moved it out from the cover its stored in and got the dash cover unbolted and lifted up as best I could on pass side to get at the ignition switch. Playing with ignition switch wires I could see them come and go so must be internal problem in switch. Switch is only a year old.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Went out this morning and tractor started right up I moved it out from the cover its stored in and got the dash cover unbolted and lifted up as best I could on pass side to get at the ignition switch. Playing with ignition switch wires I could see them come and go so must be internal problem in switch. Switch is only a year old.
What does this mean?

That you had a volt meter on the wires and the voltage was coming and going as you wiggled them, or?

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Not to hijack this thread, but my neighbor's L3301 has a start and quit issue as well. But, the power comes on whenever the key is switched on.

I assumed it's summer fuel he's got in it. Its been below zero Fahrenheit for a week here. That and a lot of neglect on my neighbors part, as he's an older gentleman and definitely not mechanically minded. I assumed it's a fuel issue and we put in winter fuel additive and ordered a fuel filter. I'm going to drain and clean the water separator and replace the fuel filter and bleed the system.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
1 year old switch ??
Has rain ever got to it ??
After replacing a rider ignition switch, I put an 'inner tube cap' over it, as rider stays outside.
That switch has never failed in 4 years....

we need a 'sticky' about 'cold weather starting' !
only about 10-12 things to do or know....

howie b 75

Equipment
L3130 HST
Sep 17, 2021
Massachusetts
I went out today to use tractor and again no lights on dash when key is turned. I then moved the wires around again by ignition switch but still nothing . I changed the switch and still nothing. Battery is fine cables fine I jumped starter and it ran. Something causing power not to be turned on.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I went out today to use tractor and again no lights on dash when key is turned. I then moved the wires around again by ignition switch but still nothing . I changed the switch and still nothing. Battery is fine cables fine I jumped starter and it ran. Something causing power not to be turned on.
Please advise if a cab is present. This will help in advising where to look.
Be looking for a blown slow blow fuse. On some models they are near the starter. Others in the cab. A slow blow fuse is not like the typical automotive fuse.

forum L3130 HST slow blow.jpg

slow blow fuse color code.jpg

Dave

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A Test Light is going to be your friend here, find out where you have power and where you don't.
And remember to do it with ground connections too.

howie b 75

Equipment
L3130 HST
Sep 17, 2021
Massachusetts
used a test light no power to dash no power to fuse panel by clutch pedal I can jump out the starter and it cranks over battery connections are fine

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
used a test light no power to dash no power to fuse panel by clutch pedal I can jump out the starter and it cranks over battery connections are fine
Where did you have the ground connection when testing?
They the test again with the Ground of the test light strait to the ground on the battery.
I would take off clean and reinstall both ends of both battery cables.
It sounds like your more likely to have a bad ground connection.

howie b 75

Equipment
L3130 HST
Sep 17, 2021
Massachusetts
Finally found it with another mechanics help. It was a connector or fuse that is tied into the pos battery cable and feeds the fuses above. It looks like a black wire connector. We got it apart and I blasted it clean in my blasting cabinet. The other end that slides into it with 10 gauge red wire that feeds the fuse panel above I cleaned as best i could. I will see if another one can be bought. Then covered it with grease to keep water and corrosion out.