L2950DT GST - Tranny Issues - How to remove side tranny cover

knightgang

Equipment
Kubota L2950
Aug 20, 2015
Georiga
I have a L2950DT GST with about 3700 hrs on it. Lately, we have had an issue with it not wanting to shift back into forward after reversing. For example, plowing a garden, reach the end of the row to turn around, need to make a three point turn, can;t shift back into Forward.

I have disassembled all of the external transmission linkage, and there was quite a bit of wear on the shift bar and the pin holes, however that was not the issue. I placed a pair of vise grips directly on the shift leaver, and with just a few back and forth movements on the driveway, at idle in 1st gear, I had the same issue. It feels like something in the tranny is just not quite lining up. Nothing grinds, it just has a point with significant resistance. If you shift back into reverse and back up some more, then shift back to forward, after a few tries, it will fall right into forward gear.

So, two questions:
What do you think could be the issue?
How do you get this side cover off this transmission?

I have pulled all of the perimeter bolts and taken off the gear speed selector cable housing. But I can't get the cover off. I don't want to remove too many bolts, and I don't want to break the cover.

What did I miss?

Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The syncros are out of it.

They are buried in the transmission you will have to split it and pull the clutch housing (what most call the transmission) and the mid case which behind the clutch housing case.

You need to remove all the bolts besides the adjustment bolts (acorn nuts) and the large single orifice bolt those stay in, that will let you pull the side cover.
but pulling that cover is better done on a bench.

Warning: This is not an easy rebuild, you're in for some work.
Do not ever force parts in or out, nothing is pressed in place, it's a jigsaw puzzle to take apart and to put back together.
There is 79 some o'rings in there that will need to be replaced, and if one is out of place it won't work.
I would also plan on a reseal for the hydraulic clutch.

Last edited: