L2950 GST 4WD with shifting problem

ted928

Equipment
L2950 GST 4WD, LA450
Jun 24, 2012
Charlton, NY
I just got the tractor. It has eight gears and you do not have to operate the clutch when starting or changing gears. Everything works well except gears 1 and 5. When I put it in 1 or 5, nothing happens - it is like it is still in neutral. All other gears operate properly. Where should I start looking?
Thanks

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Are you sure you don't have to use the clutch? Never had one like that, but have read about them. Glide Shift I thing it's called?

Sounds like you'll need to go into the trans and replace a gear.

ted928

Equipment
L2950 GST 4WD, LA450
Jun 24, 2012
Charlton, NY
Are you sure you don't have to use the clutch? Never had one like that, but have read about them. Glide Shift I thing it's called?

Sounds like you'll need to go into the trans and replace a gear.
It is a glide shift transmission. I doubt that a gear is bad. I am thinking it is a problem with the hydraulic rotary actuator.

Can this be easily accessed?

ted928

Equipment
L2950 GST 4WD, LA450
Jun 24, 2012
Charlton, NY
It is a glide shift transmission. I doubt that a gear is bad. I am thinking it is a problem with the hydraulic rotary actuator.

Can this be easily accessed?
Anybody have experience repairing this hydraulically controlled transmission?

Anybody have the repair manual??

Thanks

ted928

Equipment
L2950 GST 4WD, LA450
Jun 24, 2012
Charlton, NY
Sorry, I don't anything about that type of trans. Hopefully someone here will know.
Unfortunately, the problem is a broken first gear. I pulled the tranny side cover off so I can access the hydraulic controls and the gears.
It looks like something is wrong with first gear. It looks like the gears are contructed from two pieces that are supposed to be joined. Gear 2,3,4 are joined but gear 1 is not. Does this sound like the problem?
Thanks

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
It looks like something is wrong with first gear. It looks like the gears are contructed from two pieces that are supposed to be joined. Gear 2,3,4 are joined but gear 1 is not.
It's hard to comment without photos, but:

Two kinds of gears, rack gears which are linear and everybody else that are round. Never saw a transmission with a rack gear so all yours should be round. If one isn't, yes that's at least part of your problem. What about fifth gear? Also, what about bits of whatever is broken steaming around in the transmission and elsewhere?

I would venture to guess that it's tear down time, disassemble, clean out, inspect, bearing replacement and more. I don't know anything about glide shift transmissions but suspect they are more complex than a standard gearbox. At the very minimum, if you were going to do the work, a Workshop Manual would be necessary. Messicks Farm Equipment has parts diagrams online.

Last edited:

ted928

Equipment
L2950 GST 4WD, LA450
Jun 24, 2012
Charlton, NY
Post a picture.
I tried to attach a picture - not sure if it worked.
I got the tractor apart but I can't seem to get the gears out. My bad gear is gear 1 (upper right in photo). My WSM says to drive the shaft to the rear. It moved a little and then stopped.
I tried removing the main shaft also but it will not come out (the bearing did move to the right).
How do you remove the gears?
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

ted928

Equipment
L2950 GST 4WD, LA450
Jun 24, 2012
Charlton, NY
The first gear appears to be broken. The teeth are ok but the gear is seperated from the smaller dia piece; the piece that the sliding coupler slips over when engaged. Not sure what the smaller dia piece is called but on the other three gears it is fixed to the gear. On gear #1, it is disconnected and is stuck to the counter shaft. I think that is what stopping the counter shaft from sliding out. It looks like you can not remove the main shaft and gears until the counter shaft has been removed.
Does this make sense to anyone? I can understand the gear splitting but I do not see why the piece got stuck to the shaft.
Help pleased.
Thanks

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Sorry to hear about the trouble. Did you test drive the tractor before buying? Can you recoup some money from the previous owner?

ted928

Equipment
L2950 GST 4WD, LA450
Jun 24, 2012
Charlton, NY
Sorry to hear about the trouble. Did you test drive the tractor before buying? Can you recoup some money from the previous owner?
I did. I got a "good deal" because 1st and 5th were not working. I had hoped it was a simple problem with the controls. No luck. The broken gear is stuck to the shaft so I can't get it out. I'll bring the tranny to a machine shop to see if they can press it out.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
I think the "broken gear" you are looking at is really a synchronizer ring.
There's a circlip holding the shaft(s) from sliding out. Careful when you pull the shaft(s), everything will slide off the shaft and if you don't keep track of all the rings, gears, bushings and thrust bearings you will have one hell of a jigsaw puzzle.

ted928

Equipment
L2950 GST 4WD, LA450
Jun 24, 2012
Charlton, NY
I think the "broken gear" you are looking at is really a synchronizer ring.
There's a circlip holding the shaft(s) from sliding out. Careful when you pull the shaft(s), everything will slide off the shaft and if you don't keep track of all the rings, gears, bushings and thrust bearings you will have one hell of a jigsaw puzzle.
Its hard to see in the picture but it is the gear that is broken. The parts diagram just calls it "gear" but it composed to two pieces that have been joined. There is the larger dia piece that is engaged with the gear on the main shaft. There is also the small dia piece on the side. The "shifter" acts as a coupler and slides over the small dia piece to engage the gear to the "counter shaft" via the "coupling" (which is splined to the shaft). The small dia piece broke away from the big dia piece and the smaller dia piece is stuck on the shaft.
I think I need to have shaft pressed out.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Although after splitting machine addressed thus far in this thread may be late in the process I'd like to comment for potential benefit of others with same situation.

I also noticed gears 1 and 5 on GlideShift (shuttle transmission, no clutch needed in normal operation) seemed reluctant to engage, especially from dead stop, occasionally in motion.

Adjusting clutch freeplay helped.

Changing hydraulc fluid helped more (used Chevron THF-1000 rated as UDT equivalent).

Ultimately changed fluid to Kubota SUDT and resolved 90% of the problem.

No idea why only particular gears were exhibiting problem unless in the hydraulic clutch pack there is something unique involving the two--for example Gear 5 seems to be the first of the 'high range' and Gear 1 seems similarly to be the first of the 'low range' set.

Still not perfect but much closer to 'right'; I attribute the currnet gear-slop to Previous Owner running the commonly available '303'-type fluid based on these observations.

One thing I have noticed is it seems better to use clutch when disengaging from 'forward' into 'neutral' when under heavy load; using only the shuttle lever and the resulting disengagement 'thunk' just doesn't seem healthy. I have noticed that using SUDT the 'thunk' lessened slightly.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
One thing I have noticed is it seems better to use clutch when disengaging from 'forward' into 'neutral' when under heavy load; using only the shuttle lever and the resulting disengagement 'thunk' just doesn't seem healthy. I have noticed that using SUDT the 'thunk' lessened slightly.
Our old L3750 has shuttle shift and I'll second that. Never shift into neutral, or any other gear when under a load! :eek:

ted928

Equipment
L2950 GST 4WD, LA450
Jun 24, 2012
Charlton, NY
Well it took a big press but i finally got it apart. The gear broke - not at the weld but the inner piece sheared off. The fracture lip and small pieces casue the inner piece to gall the shaft (the large journal to the right).

New parts are $800. Any suggestions on where to get used parts?

Attachments