L2900 Glow Plug Problem

WFO50

Equipment
L2900
Jan 29, 2019
Freeland
I have an early 2000 L2900. When I turn the ignition key to the first position to the right, the glow plug indicator comes on for only 3-4 seconds and then goes out accompanied by the sound of a relay. On a 25 degree F day I have to cycle the key off and on many times over the course of a minute to get the glow plug indicator and glow plugs to be on long enough to start the tractor. Is it possible that the glow plug controller is not getting a proper signal from the coolant temperature sensor? If so, how do I troubleshoot the temperature sensor? Or is it the controller timer just not pulling in the glow plug relay long enough, and I need a new controller?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Possible, yes, that the sensor isn't sending the correct temp to the controller. Unplug the sensor and see if the glow plugs will light and stay lit for up to 10 seconds or so.

There could be other issues too, but that should answer your question.

zuiko

Equipment
L2900
May 29, 2017
Canada
I had a similar problem with my L2900 and it turned out to be the glow controller. If the thermostat checks out ok then it's likely the controller, it's a very simple setup.

If you have GST, you can force the glow plugs on by putting the shuttle shift in gear and hold the key in the start position. The glow plugs are enabled whenever the engine cranks, but by moving the shuttle shifter out of neutral you prevent the starter from starting the engine.

Rosenbarn

Equipment
L2900
Jun 9, 2023
Hamptonville, North carolina
I have a l2900, and my glowplug light just started coming on sporadically in summer temps over 70 degrees F. Am I correct to assume if I unplug the controller (until I can get one here) that everything will function normally and I won't be running my glowplugs?