L2900 Glideshift locks up

sshev

Sep 10, 2010
Storm Lake Iowa
I've got a '95 L2900 with glide shift and shuttle shift (reverser) Several times over the past 6 months when changing directions using the reverser, the tractor will act like it's stuck between gears and kill instantly when the clutch is released. If I push in the clutch it will restart, but kill as soon as I let the clutch out. So far I've been able to free it up by moving the gear selector through all the gears and then it seems fine again. I've taken it to my local Kubota dealer and they say they can't diagnose it if they can't replicate it. As I said this is a very intermittent problem that happens very infrequently, but I'm afraid one of these times when it locks up, I'm going to do serious damage. I'd hoped there was an adjustable linkage rod or cable that had stretched over time, but the dealer says no. Anyone ever have any similar experience? Thanks in advance.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
You are not really supposed to use the clutch on a GST when changing gears or direction, except for manoeuvering in tight areas. Simply pop the reverser into neutral for a second and stop the tractor with the brake before selecting forward or reverse. Mine doesn't like it when I use the clutch either. But I'm no expert. I'm only 10 months in myself.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Try running it without the clutch, could be the synchros are going out on the shuttle, makes it really hard to shift all the way in.

If it grinds or sticks when not using the clutch, you're looking at a rebuild. ;)