L2900 cut off during use. Engine turns over, but won't start.

markls

Equipment
L2900 Kubota GST, and LA480 loader, plus bushhog, landscape rake
Mar 16, 2023
Lawrenceville, GA
OK, a little help. L2900. It's been running fine. Using it last week and the engine shut off. It'll turn over to crank but won't fire up. No odd lights or lack of lights (glow plugs, oil pressure, etc.). Changed out fuel to make sure not bad (but had been running on the current tank), cleaned fuel filter.
When attempting to start, I see maybe puffs of fuel fumes coming out of the exhaust, so looks like it's getting fuel... so? Thanks!

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
OK, a little help. L2900. It's been running fine. Using it last week and the engine shut off. It'll turn over to crank but won't fire up. No odd lights or lack of lights (glow plugs, oil pressure, etc.). Changed out fuel to make sure not bad (but had been running on the current tank), cleaned fuel filter.
When attempting to start, I see maybe puffs of fuel fumes coming out of the exhaust, so looks like it's getting fuel... so? Thanks!
WE could use a little more info. Given what you have provided, I would check the air cleaner for clogging and check for fuel flow, starting at the lift pump outlet and working back to the tank. At every point you should have continuous full flow. It the fuel dribbles or is intermittent, you have to restore full flow. By the way, I don't know what kind of fuel filter you have but I've not seen any on a Kubota that are cleanable.

Reactions: 1 users

loggin

Equipment
MX4700
Sep 4, 2021
canada
What Jerry said, and also I would check engine oil level to see if it is overfilled. Usually a tell tale sign if the mechanical lift pump has failed and allowing fuel into the crank case.

Hope this helps!!

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Fuel stop failure, check the fuses.

markls

Equipment
Mar 16, 2023
Lawrenceville, GA
WE could use a little more info. Given what you have provided, I would check the air cleaner for clogging and check for fuel flow, starting at the lift pump outlet and working back to the tank. At every point you should have continuous full flow. It the fuel dribbles or is intermittent, you have to restore full flow. By the way, I don't know what kind of fuel filter you have but I've not seen any on a Kubota that are cleanable.
It had been running fine and just turned off. It tries to crank, but won't "fire up". I checked and cleaned the air cleaner, and it was good. I shut off the fuel and emptied the bowl and cleaned the filter with kerosine per the manual (The L2900 user manual states to clean it with Kerosine). Reinstalled and turned on fuel and the bowl filled back up.

markls

Equipment
Mar 16, 2023
Lawrenceville, GA
Do you hear the clack of the fuel solenoid when turning the key on/off?
No... and maybe this is tied to this issue or the other way around. For some time when turning the key off, the engine doesn't shut down. I have to use the engine stop knob (pull) to cut it off. Because it doesn't turn off with the key and I have to use the stop knob... is that a sign that the fuel solenoid or engine cutoff solenoid is weak or failing... and now has failed, which is why no start at all??

Thanks for the advice!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
No... and maybe this is tied to this issue or the other way around. For some time when turning the key off, the engine doesn't shut down. I have to use the engine stop knob (pull) to cut it off. Because it doesn't turn off with the key and I have to use the stop knob... is that a sign that the fuel solenoid or engine cutoff solenoid is weak or failing... and now has failed, which is why no start at all??

Thanks for the advice!
From memory, i think your tractor's fuel shut off works the opposite to what you would normally expect. When the key is turned off power is sent to the fuel shut off solenoid for a few seconds by a timer relay to give the engine time to stop.
Try unplugging the stop solenoid connector and then see if the engine will start.
There is a timer relay in the electrical system which feeds the stop solenoid for a few seconds and then opens.
Are you having issues with the battery not holding a charge?
Dave

Reactions: 1 user

markls

Equipment
Mar 16, 2023
Lawrenceville, GA
From memory, i think your tractor's fuel shut off works the opposite to what you would normally expect. When the key is turned off power is sent to the fuel shut off solenoid for a few seconds by a timer relay to give the engine time to stop.
Try unplugging the stop solenoid connector and then see if the engine will start.
There is a timer relay in the electrical system which feeds the stop solenoid for a few seconds and then opens.
Are you having issues with the battery not holding a charge?
Dave
Thanks. I read in another post and depending on the model the solenoid works one way or the opposite fashion. Battery holding charge fine (only about 6 months old). All electrical seems to be working. Again, was using it just fine and shut off and wouldn't start back up.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Thanks. I read in another post and depending on the model the solenoid works one way or the opposite fashion. Battery holding charge fine (only about 6 months old). All electrical seems to be working. Again, was using it just fine and shut off and wouldn't start back up.
I'm pretty sure yours is energize to stop. Pull the connector off the solenoid and make sure the stop lever is not being pulled by the manual cable. If it starts and then stops when you reattach the connector, you may have a problem in the stop timer or wiring.
Edit: oops, I see I duplicated Dave's recommendation.

Last edited:

markls

Equipment
Mar 16, 2023
Lawrenceville, GA
Thanks for all this help. Replaced solenoid and worked. The cutoff cable/pull may also have been stuck some, along with the lever that it and the solenoid move. New solenoid and some lubricant and working great. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!