L2900 Bevel Seal Replacement

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Question for those of you who have changed these bevel seals on L-Series Kubotas. Is it better to remove the gear case from the axle to do this? The FSM kind of hints at doing this. I know this is some-what of a common problem. One of mine is leaking on my L2900 to the point where its getting the tire wet, so I'm going to replace it. Thanks for the help!

Brandon

Attachments

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I don't find it any easier to do it either way

I've done them by removing the assembly from the axle and then doing the repair on the bench. I've done them by leaving the kingpin on the axle and just removing the bottom half.

6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Only good thing about doing it on the tractor is that you can use a floor jack to jack the bottom half up onto the top half, rather than beating it together on the bench. The seals don't go in all that easily.

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Thanks Lugbolt, appreciate the tips! I wound up taking the housing off the axle. Then had to put it back on in order beat the lower half off with a mallet. Two issues I ran into and was wondering if this is normal.... The first is the top part of the assembly was badly rusted. I'm going to attempt to remove it with emery. I'm afraid the new seal won't do any good if it inst removed. Are they normally this bad? I really don't want to buy a new one from Kubota since they are about $400.

The second issue I ran into was when i split the front bevel gear case cover from the back half, two collars fell out. It appears they go under the bearing? But I'm puzzled why the fell out in the first place. I assume they go where the red arrow points?

Thanks,
Brandon

Attachments

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The rust is normal, just remove it with emery cloth.

Those collars actually go behind the gear, it has a recess to retain them. Remove the bearing and gear, it will be apparent. The bearing should be a tight fit on the axle shaft, it should not just slide off.

Your inboard axle bearing has been spinning in the housing or the outboard bearing has failed and is letting the axle shaft wobble. It's not uncommon to find the outer bearing broken on tractors with loaders.

N3BP

Equipment
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Whitetiger, thanks for the reply! I had a chance to examine further, and you are correct about placement of the collar. There is a groove in the axelshaft where they seat beneath the bevel gear.

Both bearings appear to be in good shape with very little play. I think what happened was as I separated the two halves, the bearing was seated tighter in the front case, so it partially pulled out, allowing the collar halves to fall out. Which is interesting because the FSM says you need a bearing puller to pull that bearing! Definitely not the case here. Time to run over to Messicks for parts.....