L2850D Metal Fuel Tank Repair

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Good Information.
I priced a new tank and a Kubota dealer said none available with the old price at $1000 so I called around to find another dealer that found a few in stock with a price now of $1700 + shipping. (New Vendor) :confused:
I hope the patch works...🤞
Exactly why I patched mine also. Mine only had holes in the bottom so I was thinking to just cut the bottom off an inch or two to eliminate the radiused corners and then weld a new plate to replace the bottom. But so far so good (knock on wood)

Good luck with your repair hope it works.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sealing from the outside is not a good option, you really need to use the POR-15 on the inside of the tank.
It will coat the entire tank and seal up any leaks.

L275

Equipment
L275F, L2850D, BF500 Loader, FS1020, M5-4 Cutter, 500 PostDigger, CRB60 Blade...
Jun 8, 2019
Naples, FL.
I didn’t know they made a thicker patching compound. Do you have to be as meticulous as with their paint in the preparation? Do you have to topcoat it with another paint?
I sanded the affected area and cleaned it before the application and it has held up well...so far :unsure:. (No Leaks) No Top Coat Needed!

Instructions say... "(Since Por Patch actually bonds chemically to metal, the underlying surface does NOT have to be sanded before application. As long as loose or flaking rust is removed from the surface, an application of Por Patch will not only cover up the rust and prevent it from spreading, but will strengthen the underlying metal and seal holes by forming its own membranes."
POR15 PATCH is said to be "impervious to gasoline, oil, chromic acid, hydrochloric acid, phosphoric acid, sodium hydroxide, caustic soda, 50% sulfuric acid, 50% hydrofluoric acid.)"
I have used a 2 part product made by Interlux (Red Hand) on large fuel tanks before but wanted to try this 1 part product after seeing the application description.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Good luck with the repair. I hope it holds up for as long as you have the tractor