L2850 hydraulic fluid getting in crankcase.

trock859

Equipment
L2850DT-7 with Bush Hog 2246QT Loader
Nov 18, 2015
Lexington, KY
I have an L2850 that is getting hydraulic fluid in the engine oil. I bought the seal that goes on the end of the pump, but after some research, I wonder if the cause is another issue. I read the probable cause is the pump or the bypass valve. The hydraulics seem to work fine.

I also have some other questions about working on the hydraulics.

Is there a way to test the system and find out the actual cause? Are there any precautions to take when taking the system apart or before operating it after putting it back together?

Unfortunately, I do not have a service manual.

I really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is a 99.9% chance that the pump (I've seen a cracked case) or most likely the pump seal is how hydraulic fluid is getting into the crankcase.
The other .01% is someone is putting it in there just to mess with you! :eek:

In other words there is no other way possible, no other part of the system connects to it directly or indirectly.

Just because the seal is leaking doesn't mean the pump isn't working, you will still have excellent flow and pressure, it's just losing a little bit out to the crank case.

There really is no test besides pulling the pump and having it bench tested.

I always recommend you pull the pump, inspect it the best you can, install a new seal and see if your problem is corrected, if it is great if not pull the pump and have it sent to be rebuilt. ;)

trock859

Equipment
L2850DT-7 with Bush Hog 2246QT Loader
Nov 18, 2015
Lexington, KY
Thanks Wolfman. I can do that no problem.

Are there no special instructions for priming or anything after its back together?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Nope nothing special, it's self priming.
Fill sump and fire it up. ;)
You might have to cycle the three point and loader if equipped to get all the air out, but it does it very quickly.