l285 Steering Gear Box

Rarey

Equipment
l285, loader, tiller
Jun 23, 2016
Bucksport, Maine
I'm in deep trouble. My steering gearbox on my L285 split in two. Rainwater infiltration froze and cracked the casing. I can't find a replacement through online parts dealers. The local dealership says the gearbox is not made anymore. Will the steering gearbox from another model fit, maybe with a little modifying?

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
Check Ebay.
Good Luck Lance New Steering Box Assy with Keyed Wheel & Cap for Kubota Tractor L175 L185 L225 +
New Steering Box Assy with Keyed Wheel & Cap for Kubota Tractor L175 L185 L225 +
$347.99
Buy It Now
Free Shipping
View Details
One New Aftermarket Replacement Complete Steering Assembly made to fit the following Kubota Compact Tractor models:Steering Wheel made to fit Kubota models: 185, L175, L175L, L185, L225, L285, L295, L...
Condition: New
Time left: 4d 21h 37m
Item location: Michigan
Sold by: reliableaftermarketpartsinc (116296)

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Earlier this year my L345's power steering needed repair and I looked into possibly switching to a manual steering box (same part as on the L285 - 35340-16100). I had located a used one at Cook Tractor in Clinton, Missouri. I was able to fix mine so I didn't buy it.

I just talked to them - they still have it. Call 800-769-5823, ask for Kelley - she says she'll accept $350 exchange. I told her "Rarey from Maine" might be calling about it.

Being an original it might be better than modifying something.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Earlier this year my L345's power steering needed repair and I looked into possibly switching to a manual steering box (same part as on the L285 - 35340-16100). I had located a used one at Cook Tractor in Clinton, Missouri. I was able to fix mine so I didn't buy it.

I just talked to them - they still have it. Call 800-769-5823, ask for Kelley - she says she'll accept $350 exchange. I told her "Rarey from Maine" might be calling about it.

Being an original it might be better than modifying something.
You win the Helpful Person of the day award! :D

Rarey

Equipment
l285, loader, tiller
Jun 23, 2016
Bucksport, Maine
Thanks for the link directly to EBAY. I ordered this assembly because of free shipping, no parts exchange, and returns have no restock fee. I hope it fits. My dealer says it won't, but he's been wrong before. Thanks to all who offered help!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks for the link directly to EBAY. I ordered this assembly because of free shipping, no parts exchange, and returns have no restock fee. I hope it fits. My dealer says it won't, but he's been wrong before. Thanks to all who offered help!
Rarely, I'm a little confused why you wouldn't go with rbargeron's suggestion?
My suggestion is a maybe fit, his was a definite fit. :confused:

Rarey

Equipment
l285, loader, tiller
Jun 23, 2016
Bucksport, Maine
Had to return the assembly. The steering wheel would fit, but everything else was for much smaller tractors. EBAY led me astray, again.

Rarey

Equipment
l285, loader, tiller
Jun 23, 2016
Bucksport, Maine
Rarely, I'm a little confused why you wouldn't go with rbargeron's suggestion?
My suggestion is a maybe fit, his was a definite fit. :confused:
I thought a new aftermarket part with no parts exchange for less money was a good idea. Too bad for me, the assembly was too small = return to sender! Just talked to Kelly and ordered a used steering assembly from an L345 as you suggested. Kelly does not know if it will fit an L285, but pix I found online of the L345 look exactly like my assembly except for the rubber steering column bushing. Hoping for success!

Rarey

Equipment
l285, loader, tiller
Jun 23, 2016
Bucksport, Maine
Received the L345 assembly. It was mislabeled as a manual unit, but actually was power steering. Returning to sender (had to argue to get them to pay freight because they sent the wrong part!). They don't have a manual steering assembly in stock.

Base of the box and pitman arm would have fit, so ordered new aftermarket unit.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
So when I needed a power steering box and the only one I could find was listed as "manual" it was in fact a ps unit? I should buy it from you and keep it a a spare!

ribs1963

Equipment
Kubota L285
Apr 26, 2017
midwest
Same thing just happened to mine.Used are almost impossible to find.Where can I look for a new aftermarket?

ribs1963

Equipment
Kubota L285
Apr 26, 2017
midwest
In april this year my son was backing our L285 out of the barn and the steering gear box cracked and crumbled into three pieces.After a month of trying to find ANY new or used parts we gave up and left it parked.The only box we could find was 400 miles away in Kentucky in a salvage yard for $950 and a $200 core.I just happened to mention to one of the guys I work with the story about the gear box and he told me to bring it in and he would
have a guy that worked for him at his other job fix it.I told him it was sand cast iron and nobody I talked to would even touch it but he insisted that I bring it to him so I did.i told him no rush since the tractor had been sitting for 6 months anyway.three weeks late he brought it back to me brazed back together and ready to use.he even had the guy machine a new end piece for it that was bolted to the side of it where the steering shaft and gear go into the side of the box.We filled it with 80/90w gear oil and checked for leaks and put the tractor back together and today we started using the tractor again with no problems. Has anyone else had success doing this to their gearbox?

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
If you are going to leave your old Kubota outside you have to take the black cap off the center of steering wheel and cover every part with rtv silicon. Water runs right down the steering box and when full of water it freezes and you have junk yards just grinning. My L24DT has spent 35 years outside in Ohio.

snowman3

Equipment
KubotaL285
Dec 4, 2023
Oronogo,mo
In april this year my son was backing our L285 out of the barn and the steering gear box cracked and crumbled into three pieces.After a month of trying to find ANY new or used parts we gave up and left it parked.The only box we could find was 400 miles away in Kentucky in a salvage yard for $950 and a $200 core.I just happened to mention to one of the guys I work with the story about the gear box and he told me to bring it in and he would
have a guy that worked for him at his other job fix it.I told him it was sand cast iron and nobody I talked to would even touch it but he insisted that I bring it to him so I did.i told him no rush since the tractor had been sitting for 6 months anyway.three weeks late he brought it back to me brazed back together and ready to use.he even had the guy machine a new end piece for it that was bolted to the side of it where the steering shaft and gear go into the side of the box.We filled it with 80/90w gear oil and checked for leaks and put the tractor back together and today we started using the tractor again with no problems. Has anyone else had success doing this to their gearbox?
I'm getting ready to secure a crack on my brother's 78' L285. Pinion gear and housing went out. And wow I've been looking for a week hard. And liking all the others advise on wat a guys possibilities are for replacement.
He has passed away , and I'm respectfully trying to get his tractor up and great again. Out of repect

Reactions: 1 user

snowman3

Equipment
KubotaL285
Dec 4, 2023
Oronogo,mo
I'm getting ready to secure a crack on my brother's 78' L285. Pinion gear and housing went out. And wow I've been looking for a week hard. And liking all the others advise on wat a guys possibilities are for replacement.
He has passed away , and I'm respectfully trying to get his tractor up and great again. Out of repect
By way , I'm a first timer on this page

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
By way , I'm a first timer on this page
Welcome sir.

I hope you find what you need, but ribs1963 has not been seen for 5 years, so you might want to start a new thread.

Unfortunately you do not win the prestigious "reply to oldest thread" award though.

According to the rules, it must be 10 years old or older. 😂

Reactions: 1 user