L285 - grinds gears on every shift

MrPeabody

Equipment
L285
Apr 17, 2017
Pleasant Plain
Hi Everybody,

I bought an L285 a month or 2 ago and it is generally in good condition.

The only thing about the tractor that bothers me is that the gears rake every time I shift.

I always come to a complete stop, I slow the engine down to dead idle, make sure the clutch is pushed all the way in, but trying to go into any gear (or engaging the PTO) results in quite a bit of raking the gears.

In fact, when first start the tractor, and obviously have not moved, I rake the heck out of it just getting into reverse just trying to get out of the barn.

It does seem to be a little better when the gear oil is hot. I'm convinced that the clutch is completely disengaging, as there doesn't seem to be any pull when I'm in gear and push the clutch in. Even on a small incline the tractor will start to roll backwards with the clutch pushed in.

I haven't changed whatever is in the gear box yet, does anyone have suggestions for the best fluid to eliminate this problem ?

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks, as always.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
There is an adjustment for the clutch - have you taken all of that up yet?

MrPeabody

Equipment
L285
Apr 17, 2017
Pleasant Plain
Sorry for the late reply, I got tied up with some other projects.

I adjusted the clutch and things are much better now.

Thanks so much for the advice !!

Steve Neul

Equipment
B5200
Jun 3, 2017
Terrell, TX
"Working better"? If you can't completely adjust the clutch to where the gears aren't grinding at all then it's not fixed. I have a tractor like that which the clutch doesn't completely release. To keep from grinding and damaging the gears I turn the motor off when shifting gears. My tractor needs a clutch overhaul which literally means splitting the tractor in two.

MrPeabody

Equipment
L285
Apr 17, 2017
Pleasant Plain
Now that summer is here I'm resurrecting this old thread with another question about adjusting the clutch.

I seem to remember seeing that the clutch pedal should be adjusted so that there is about 3/8" movement (can't remember where I saw that).

As I adjust my clutch pedal it seems that the clutch fork starts putting pressure on the throw out bearing long before that. I was always taught that engaging the throw out bearing during running would lead to premature wear of the bearing.

Can someone give me hints on the proper clutch pedal engagement ?

I still have some raking between gears, although it is much better now.

Thanks !!

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
With my L245 there currently is a sweet spot about 3/4 way in - I need to adjust my clutch as well.

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Now that summer is here I'm resurrecting this old thread with another question about adjusting the clutch.

I seem to remember seeing that the clutch pedal should be adjusted so that there is about 3/8" movement (can't remember where I saw that).

As I adjust my clutch pedal it seems that the clutch fork starts putting pressure on the throw out bearing long before that. I was always taught that engaging the throw out bearing during running would lead to premature wear of the bearing.

Can someone give me hints on the proper clutch pedal engagement ?

I still have some raking between gears, although it is much better now.

Thanks !!

Try this.....

Attachments