L2800with rotary mower slip clutch needed?

hidezertdoug

Equipment
L2800
Apr 10, 2014
Hidesert Calif
Hi there first post here,just stumbled on this forum looks like some good info for kubota owners here!Well I have a L2800 serial #60585 series with manual tranny, with a box scraper w/tilt and loader,been running that way since I bought it a year ago low hrs approx 200.Ive been thinking about getting a rotary mower most likely 4' bushhog? and wondering if my tractor has a internal slip clutch on the PTO or if I get a mower with my model should I get a external slip clutch for pto spline?Little green on the pto function on my tractor as all I use is my scrapper and loader and trash forks.Any tips for my app would be great,and my apologies if this thread has been discussed previously here as I search and did not find much for my L2800 regarding this.Thanks in advance

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One problem with this post, 2 different terms being discussed, a slip clutch and an over running clutch are two different devices.

You need an over running clutch to prevent damage to the PTO shafts and gears when you disengage the PTO because the momentum of the blades on the mower will force the shaft and gears to keep moving.

A slip clutch will help reduce undue stress to the tractors PTO shaft and gears in the event that something slows or stops the Implement causing the PTO shaft to slow at to great of a rate.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
You can run a 5' bush hog with no problems, if you want. A 4' hog seems a waste of a good tractor. You need an external slip clutch, or shear pin/bolt - generally they fit the pto drive shaft to the mower gear box with a soft 3/8" bolt. It will shear before the gears break.
The overrunning clutch prevents the mower from pushing the tractor. It does not protect the transmission gears.