L2800D Transmission Oil

FrankA

Equipment
L2800
Jun 9, 2014
Haslet, Texas
New to tractors. I purchased a slightly used L2800D last week. Just got the owners manual and was going through the maintenance check list and noticed the transmission oil in the transmission oil sight glass looks milky or beige in color. Engine oil and coolant look normal. Is the transmission oil color a problem? Thanks, Frank

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Yes, milky oil is a problem you will want to address. Depending on how bad it is, you may have to repeat the drain/refill process more than once. Make sure you clean or replace whatever it's got for screen or filter.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Agree with MagKarl, milky looking oil is a problem that needs attention ASAP. And like he said most likely one change won't get it out of the system.

If it was mine I would change it out and refill with something cheap like the trans/hyd fluid that TSC carries. Then I would change it and refill with Amsoil or Kubota SUDT2.

FrankA

Equipment
L2800
Jun 9, 2014
Haslet, Texas
Dah! I was reading on another forum about the Kubota transmission sight glass being backed by a white background. I removed the transmission fill cap and aspirated about 4 ounces of transmission fluid into a glass jar and found the fluid to be clear and clean. Great news.

So I guess the transmission sight glass background was making the transmission oil look milky to me. I'm so glad I didn't dump the oil. So now I own 10 gallons of UDT and 2 filters. I'm all set for the next transmission oil change.

Last edited: