L2650 Starts-Wont Restart

tgar

Equipment
L2500
Jul 1, 2014
Rochester NY
It was a long cold winter here in NY. First time ever having batteries freeze. Anyway, tested battery and alt both bad. So, we replaced each. Now, tractor started, but will not restart when turned off. Battery cable removed and then re-attached and it starts again...?!
There is a small wire that maybe is a ground(?) hanging near where the battery is located. Apparently we did not notice it previously so not sure where it should connect. We had also replaced the starter switch. So, to summarize, we put in a new starter switch, then new battery and alt....

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I guess depending on color of wire, if it had a terminal on it and if it shows some voltage when tractor is running.tough call without a wiring diagram.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Those Lxx50 tractors had a terrible time with the ground cable from the battery.

I fought with my L3650's electrical problems until I was blue in the face.

Finally found the perfect solution. I bought an extra long ground cable to attach the battery negative to a bolt on the engine. Suddenly, all the electrical problems cleared up and never reappeared.

It is worth a try since the cable is relatively inexpensive.

If you want a simple test just connect one side of a jumper cable to the battery's negative post and the other end to a bare metal part of the engine. If the problems go away then you have the answer.

Edit: You can get a wiring diagram (parts) from Messicks that may help.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It was a long cold winter here in NY. First time ever having batteries freeze. Anyway, tested battery and alt both bad. So, we replaced each. Now, tractor started, but will not restart when turned off. Battery cable removed and then re-attached and it starts again...?!
There is a small wire that maybe is a ground(?) hanging near where the battery is located. Apparently we did not notice it previously so not sure where it should connect. We had also replaced the starter switch. So, to summarize, we put in a new starter switch, then new battery and alt....
When you say won't start, what do you mean? Won't crank or won't fire?

tgar

Equipment
L2500
Jul 1, 2014
Rochester NY
I was not there when my brother fired it up but believe that it was probably not turning over..as was the case initially. We've cleaned the cable ends too. As per GWDs response above, perhaps a new ground cable will solve it...mystery