L260 lost power does not respond to throttle

Dab4933

Equipment
Digging, moving dirt
Sep 12, 2012
Westmont, IL. USA
I was working my L260 pretty hard moving dirt and it was running great. I let it idle while i talked with a driver that was dumping a load of dirt. When I got back on it she was running rough and not very responsive. It was similar to a miss and then every so often a knock. I had not replaced the fuel filter in some time so I replaced it. When I started it back up it was still running rough but no knock, now however the RPMs climb and the only way to shut it off is the decompression lever. (fuel shut off does not work) There is some black smoke but not excessive. When I move it it bogs down. I am not sure what to try next to diagnosis it. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
See how much fuel is getting to the fuel filter by removing the hose from the fuel tank.

Check how much fuel you have in the tank?

Sounds like you have a sticky rack in the injection pump. There may be a cover on the side of the pump to remove to see the rack.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
My first thought was rack in the injection pump, too, but the black smoke has me wondering when was the last time the air filter was cleaned or replaced?

Dab4933

Equipment
Digging, moving dirt
Sep 12, 2012
Westmont, IL. USA
My first thought was rack in the injection pump, too, but the black smoke has me wondering when was the last time the air filter was cleaned or replaced?
See how much fuel is getting to the fuel filter by removing the hose from the fuel tank.

Check how much fuel you have in the tank?

Sounds like you have a sticky rack in the injection pump. There may be a cover on the side of the pump to remove to see the rack.
I just filled the tank a couple of days ago and it still has about 3/4 tank.

When I removed the fuel filter it was full. when I loosened the bolts it started leaking out. I replaced the filter but the fuel in the housing was clean.

I ran it with the air filter off and the hood open and it acted the same.

I am not sure how to locate the rack in the injection pump?

I am thinking it a injection pump issue especially when the fuel cutoff is not working in the injection pump and I have to use the decompression to shut it down.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Read this thread maybe it will help

Reactions: 1 user

Dab4933

Equipment
Digging, moving dirt
Sep 12, 2012
Westmont, IL. USA
Read this thread maybe it will help
Thank you that helped a lot and I removed the cover and found a spring was broken. Looks like I have to find a pump or a rebuilder.
IMG_0053.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Well that made it easy to see what was wrong!

If you take the pump off there are shims between it and the block that set timing on the pump. Don’t lose them and I would not send with the pump for repair.

Your dealer may be able to remove and repair the pump.

You can remove it and find a rebuild shop. I have seen where Oregon injector repair has been recommended

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well that made it easy to see what was wrong!

If you take the pump off there are shims between it and the block that set timing on the pump. Don’t lose them and I would not send with the pump for repair.

Your dealer may be able to remove and repair the pump.

You can remove it and find a rebuild shop. I have seen where Oregon injector repair has been recommended
Russell on 99% of older Kubota engines you would be right, but on this model the injection pump is not mounted the same way, it has no shims, it rotates for timing.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thank you that helped a lot and I removed the cover and found a spring was broken. Looks like I have to find a pump or a rebuilder.
In your other message you didn't mention that the symptoms you observed were a sudden onset, that makes a huge difference in what could have been going on with it.

On the side of the pump just above the cover is a tag, get the number off of it.

Looking around it looks like BK Diesel might be able to rebuild that pump.
Expect a $1K rebuild price, reading several post that seams to be the norm.

Before removing the pump, note the timing marks on the engine block and the pump, look at the WSM if you can't find the marks.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Russell on 99% of older Kubota engines you would be right, but on this model the injection pump is not mounted the same way, it has no shims, it rotates for timing.
Welcome back NIW

Sorry about that incorrect information on the shims

Dab4933

Equipment
Digging, moving dirt
Sep 12, 2012
Westmont, IL. USA
In your other message you didn't mention that the symptoms you observed were a sudden onset, that makes a huge difference in what could have been going on with it.

On the side of the pump just above the cover is a tag, get the number off of it.

Looking around it looks like BK Diesel might be able to rebuild that pump.
Expect a $1K rebuild price, reading several post that seams to be the norm.

Before removing the pump, note the timing marks on the engine block and the pump, look at the WSM if you can't find the marks.
Yea I am seeing a couple of place’s for about $1000 but I don’t have much choice. In my original post I mentioned i let it idle while I directed a driver where to dump and when I got back on is when I had the issue. There we no engine performance issues before then.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea I am seeing a couple of place’s for about $1000 but I don’t have much choice. In my original post I mentioned i let it idle while I directed a driver where to dump and when I got back on is when I had the issue. There we no engine performance issues before then.
I was talking about your PM to me. ;)

Dab4933

Equipment
Digging, moving dirt
Sep 12, 2012
Westmont, IL. USA
Thanks!

And no problem with the shims, like I said 99% of the time you would be spot on!
The pump is getting rebuilt locally and the price is between 900 and 1000. I pulled it out and ran it right over the rebuilder. Now I am looking at the drive gear where the pump goes into and the splines look to be spaced equally so I am a little confused on how it could be in time. Any idea if there is a difference in the spacing or a way to identify a locator notch?

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The pump is getting rebuilt locally and the price is between 900 and 1000. I pulled it out and ran it right over the rebuilder. Now I am looking at the drive gear where the pump goes into and the splines look to be spaced equally so I am a little confused on how it could be in time. Any idea if there is a difference in the spacing or a way to identify a locator notch?
Can you do a few more pictures with more light of both sides?

Dab4933

Equipment
Digging, moving dirt
Sep 12, 2012
Westmont, IL. USA
Gear pic 3.jpg Gear pic 1.jpg View attachment 67174
Gear pic 3.jpg
Gear pic 1.jpg

When you say both sides do you mean the shaft and the gear? The pump is still at the rebuilder so I cannot. The gear pic was the best of the three I took but here are View attachment 67174
Gear pic 3.jpg
Gear pic 1.jpg
the others. View attachment 67174
When you say both sides are you meaning the pump side? It is still at the rebuilder so I do not have that to show but here are the other pics of the gear I took

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The bottom right key is wider than the rest, it is the master, i think you'll find that the pump will only fit one way no matter what you try.

Dab4933

Equipment
Digging, moving dirt
Sep 12, 2012
Westmont, IL. USA
The bottom right key is wider than the rest, it is the master, i think you'll find that the pump will only fit one way no matter what you try.
Thank you I expected something more obvious. I am still waiting on the pump to be rebuilt. While I had the pump out I thought it would be a good time to replace the two freeze (expansion) plugs on that side. I have removed them but the 35.2mm plugs I bought don’t fit. I measured the old ones they are 33.9mm but I can’t find that size. Any suggestions?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thank you I expected something more obvious. I am still waiting on the pump to be rebuilt. While I had the pump out I thought it would be a good time to replace the two freeze (expansion) plugs on that side. I have removed them but the 35.2mm plugs I bought don’t fit. I measured the old ones they are 33.9mm but I can’t find that size. Any suggestions?
I looked up the plugs I think your looking to replace and they are available from Kubota directly.
Check the parts diagram on Kubota's site and confirm, or post a picture of their location and I'll give you the new Part Number.

Dab4933

Equipment
Digging, moving dirt
Sep 12, 2012
Westmont, IL. USA
I looked up the plugs I think your looking to replace and they are available from Kubota directly.
Check the parts diagram on Kubota's site and confirm, or post a picture of their location and I'll give you the new Part Number.
My local Kubota dealer was not much help. I was able to locate expansion plugs that are 34.925mm and they worked great. Napa has steel 381-3080 or brass 381-9008. Pump is not back from being rebuilt so was easy access. (hope this helps someone else)

Attachments